What Is It Like To Be Married Off At 13? Let These 2 Women Tell You!

Posted on March 2, 2015 in Human Rights, My Story, Society, Staff Picks, Taboos

By Akhil Kumar:

India is home to 1 in 3 child brides across the globe, and has the 3rd highest number of women married under 15 years of age!

Many of us living in urban spaces might not fully realize the horrors of child marriage, sometimes even fallaciously believing it to be a thing of the past, but the truth remains that the practice is still rampant, and not just in rural areas. In this video, which serves as an eye opener, two women who were married off at just 13 years of age, when they had no idea about how to run a household or manage things on their own, talk about their plight and why they want this practice to stop.

One of the women in the video emphasize on the importance of a legal age limit to when girls can be married so that they are not deprived of the right to education, and have ample opportunities to become skilled enough to look after themselves and earn a living, so that they don’t have to depend on their husband’s earnings. This video is a cry for help, and a moving appeal to take a stand against child marriages. Watch the video, and sign the pledge to help end this injustice that impedes the healthy growth of innocent children!

To know more about what I think of this story, follow me on twitter at @Akhil1490