This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Sushmita Sihwag. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

42 Men Killed And No One Knows Who Killed Them

More from Sushmita Sihwag

By Sushmita Sihwag:

“Looking for the living among blood-bathed bodies strewn around a canal and between ravines near Makanpur village on the Delhi-Ghaziabad border in the dead of night – the intervening night between May 22 and May 23 – with a dim struggling torchlight and ensuring one doesn’t trample upon bodies, all still stream through the mind like a horror film…”

hashimapur riots

This chilling narrative of the 1987 Hashimpura massacre is an excerpt from a blog post by Vibhuti Narain Rai, the then Superintendent of Police, Ghaziabad, UP, who had witnessed the gut-wrenching scenario in which more than 40 innocent Muslims were shot to death by the PAC personnel (Provincial Armed Constabulary).

What happened in Hashimapur 28 years ago?

Violence erupted in Meerut in May 1987, after a brief period of stable atmosphere following the communal riots in April. A curfew was imposed and the PAC personnel conducted searches in various Muslim localities of the city.

On the night of May 22, 1987, coincidentally the last Friday of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, 19 PAC personnel charged into the homes of the people of Hashimpura, a predominantly Muslim locality of Meerut, and rounded up around 50 young Muslim men. They were forced into a PAC truck and taken to a canal, where some of them were shot and their bodies were then dumped into the canal.  The remaining men were taken to the Hindon river near Makanpur village and shot dead. That day 42 young men were murdered, however, a few of them survived by pretending to be dead and lodged an FIR against the PAC personnel.

The Court Case And The Judgement

• The charge sheet in the case was filed 9 years after the incident, that is, in 1996. It was filed against 19  PAC personnel, who were accused of conducting the massacre.

• On a petition from the families of victims and survivors, the Supreme Court transferred the case to Delhi in 2002. Four years later, the Delhi court framed charges of murder, attempt to murder, conspiracy, and tampering with evidence under the IPC against the accused.

• On 21st March 2015, the Delhi sessions court acquitted the 16 surviving accused on the grounds of lack of evidence against them.

Why We Should Not Dismiss This As Just Another Communal Riot

After reading the above stated facts, one must wonder why so many young men were murdered in cold blood, or in other words, what was their fault? Were they involved in the riots or did they commit a crime so grave that they were shot to death without a trial?

The answer is –  No. They were innocent.

The primary reason because of which they were murdered was that they had put their faith in Allah, and not in Ram. That’s the only crime they had committed. They were not the victims of rifle bullets, but of dirty communal politics, and a lethargic judicial system.

The main question that arises is what could possibly be the motive of those PAC personnel in killing a staggering number of innocent civilians in such a brutal fashion? It seems unthinkable that they could have dared to go on a barbarous killing spree without the fear of being prosecuted, but because this was the case, in my opinion, the only plausible explanation is that they must have received orders from the political or administrative forces and would have been promised impunity.

The delay in filing the charge sheet and then in conducting the trial only added to the misery and distress of the victims and their families, who had pinned all their hopes on justice.

Another aspect of the case which reflects the complete failure of all organs of the state in providing justice is that the 19 accused PAC personnel were never suspended, instead some of them were even promoted. In my opinion, they could have easily tampered with evidence and controlled the investigation.

This seems highly probable, as the court ruled that no blood or bullet marks were found on the PAC truck, which was allegedly used for carrying the men to the canal. This was clearly a violation of the right to fair investigation and trial, because in the end, the accused were let off on the grounds of lack of evidence.

Besides not providing timely justice to the victims and their families, the state also failed to grant compensation to them in all these 28 years. Although it could in no way compensate for the invaluable loss of their loved ones, the government could at least alleviate their financial troubles given that the murdered men were young and in some cases, the sole breadwinners of their families.

Why is it that every time it’s the innocent civilians who face the brunt of communal flare ups and are used as props by corrupt politicians to further their own agenda? This case is one of its kind, because here the guardians and protectors of the public itself turned into its biggest enemies and went out to openly inflict harm on them.

On her Facebook page, lawyer Rebecca Mammen John wrote, “Who lost yesterday? India lost its right to be called a law enforcing Constitutional Republic. Not the victims, who had bravely fought for justice for 28 years. During that period, they never lost hope, they were so dignified in their struggle and they always believed that justice would be done. It was not. And we must hang our heads in shame!”

I couldn’t agree more with her. And along with the victims, I too lost faith in the ability of the Indian state to provide its citizens with a life of dignity and respect.

1. ABs

Oh, how tragic. But of course, the death and exile of thousands of kashmiri Pandits is a laughable matter. What could be more tragic than 42 men killed, in a “Massacre”, of which there was no evidence, and the facts, in possession of the Judicial System, were somehow “inadequate”. The Judicial System had the facts, not some fringe website, dealing out biased news. The Death of Kashmiri Pandits was also a “massacre”, it was also Genocide, and this kind of killing happens every day in the Kashmir Valley. The body count is disgustingly high, and yet, nothing has happened to the perpetrators of that carnage. Soldierd lose their lives on a daily basis on the borders, but there is not one obituary on this website. If this is all India’s Youth cares about, that the deaths of Soldiers is something acceptable, that the death of innocent civilians (regardless of their religion) is something acceptable, then I can say with confidence that this country is going to break. The Communal Riots had victims, who were Hindus, but have their ordeals been recorded? no.

1. Sushmita Sihwag

Oh course, sir, the killing of Kashmiri Pandits is as tragic as any other massacre. If you go online and research there are photographic evidences and witness accounts which prove that it was the PAC personnel who killed the 42 men. Also, nowhere in this article or on the website is it mentioned that we’re okay with soldiers losing their lives. We deeply respect and honour them for the sacrifices they make for our country, and if you suggest that an article be written on the same, we would see to it that we get it done.

2. Monistaf

Sushmita, Thanks for highlighting this issue, but the answer to your question as to why no one knows about them is very simple. They were all men!! Who gives a damn? There are too many of them being killed and slaughtered on an every day basis to care. In spite of the atrocities being committed by ISIS, Angelina Jolie wants to start an awareness program and establish shelters for women victims in the war, no press reporter had to guts to mention that it was 132 young boys that were massacred in the school shooting in Pakistan, It was always “Students”, “Children”, “kids” and other gender neutral terms because if it was just boys, it would not be that shocking but more importantly, it would subtract from the victim complex of women. The barbaric lynching of an innocent man in Nagaland barely made the headlines and incited local protests, but the despicable rape of a girl in Delhi was headline news around the world and the feminists were vindicated by the documentary that successfully demonized all Indian men. When Boko Haram locked up 169 boys in a church building and set it on fire, burning them alive, no one knew about it. When they kidnapped 200 girls, it was headline news and even the first lady, if you can call her that, had a hashtag on twitter to “bringbackourdaughters”. I think the world, including India, has come to the conclusion that violence against men and boys is too big a problem to solve, so let us just focus on stopping all crime against the demographic that is least affected by it.

More from Sushmita Sihwag

By Tabish Khan

By YUMNA MOBIN

By Sushruta