This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Artika Raj. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

In Iran, One Woman Is Leading The Battle Against Compulsory Hijab, Through Facebook

More from Artika Raj

By Artika Raj for Youth Ki Awaaz:

masih awardAs Masih Alinejad turned the corner to walk up and receive the Geneva Summit Women Rights award, a man, an Iranian, whom she didn’t know, stopped and asked her, “Are you the Iranian who is going to talk against Iran?”

In May last year, Masih Alinejad, an Iranian writer and journalist, started a Facebook page called ‘My Stealthy Freedom’. Why ‘stealthy’? Because it invited the women in Iran to share their ‘moment of guilty pleasure’ with everyone. And what was this guilty pleasure? The chance to let their hair loose from the binds of the compulsory hijab and capture that moment – of freedom enjoyed in stealth. Alinejad wasn’t asking the women to go out and do this, but born out of an impulsive desire to know if others in her country, like her, had ever dared to defy the law in private, she only invited them to share if they had. Uncertain of the response, she was stunned when pictures numbering in thousands started pouring in in the course of the next few weeks. For someone who left Iran in 2009 for the UK because of the lack of freedom to speak out against the government, these pictures of women from all over Iran, their heads uncovered, suggested that in Iran there is a voice that refuses to be silenced. Of women against compulsory hijab. Not the hijab, but the oppressive law that has made it mandatory for little girls, young women and old ladies to keep their hair and neck covered at all times for 35 years now, since 1979.

masih collage

In just October last year, reports poured in of women being targeted for wearing what was deemed ‘inappropriate’ by ISIS-like extremists in the tourist city of Isfahan, in Iran. Thousands gathered to protest against this violence, even as one of the acid attack victims, 27-year-old Soheila Jorkesh, described the horror of it, “I was coming back from the swimming pool and pulled over in Bozorgmehr Street so that my friend could get out. That’s when it all happened… I took off all my clothes and threw them on the ground. People gathered in a circle but no one helped to wash my body, everyone was throwing back clothes on me so that my body would not be naked.”

Iranian MPs - before & after the Islamic revolution of 1979.
Iranian MPs – before & after the Islamic revolution of 1979.

Women in Iran, with its oppressive government and the morality laws of supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, have little say in the choices they make. It’s a sad truth of this 21st century world. But Alinejad’s Fb page with its 7,76,921 Likes (on my last count yesterday) is representative of another kind of truth too. The truth about women in Iran who are unafraid to speak up and against this oppression. As Masih tells me, “Just today (day of this interview), I interviewed a cleric, who is a Member of Parliament, and he said to me that if women in Iran don’t believe in the hijab, they have to leave. This is what makes my job so important because I’m used to hearing that a lot… He says that all the women who live in Iran, believe in the hijab. It’s a big lie. My Stealthy Freedom is against not just compulsory hijab, but against the denial of our existence, against the lie that people like him have been telling the world over the past 35 years.  Women there are not against the hijab but want the freedom to choose what they want to wear.”

Armed then, with a degree from Oxford Brookes university that is, on how to use social media as a tool for change, the intervention that Masih makes with her Fb page is founded on a simple idea, “Social media as an alternative media can help people in countries like Iran, who do not have the freedom of expression, to become their own media. So by creating ‘My Stealthy Freedom’ I let the Iranian women who have no official voice inside Iran to be their own storytellers, their own media. Also, through social media we have shown the other face of Iran which you’ve never seen on Iranian state TV – of women who do not believe in the hijab.”

Growing up as she did in a traditional family in a small town north of Iran, where her mother and all her sisters wore the hijab, Masih’s decision to not wear one anymore wasn’t an easy one to make, “When I left Iran, the significance of wearing the hijab was just a way to connect with my family. That was all. Now, I believe that a lot of women who wear the hijab have the same problem as me. They don’t believe in the hijab as a religious matter, but they wear it because they see themselves as connected to the society in which they grow up.”

A scathing slander campaign has followed Masih ever since she decided to do this. There have been false reports of her getting raped by three men in London in Iranian media. “Indian women will understand me, that how heart-breaking it is for a woman to see her own government say that ‘if you are raped, it’s your own fault’. They’ve tried to use that to discredit me. It’s a complete lie.”  Calling her, the ‘Admin of the Fb page, a prostitute’ is how the Iranian state which controls its media covertly has responded to her movement. Because a movement it is. Unafraid about the possible backlash of uploading pictures of their uncovered heads, their faces joyous in celebrating this rebellion, these women have some protection now by the sheer magnanimity of their numbers, and popularity the page has garnered from all over the world. That sadly wasn’t the case for 6 people who were arrested last year in May in Iran, for making a video, dancing to Pharrell Williams’ song ‘Happy’!

Almost 3.6 million women were warned just in the last year, Masih tells me, for not adhering to the compulsory hijab (punishment for which can range anywhere between imprisonment to lashing), while 3000 of them were sent to court. In this moral policing that goes on, there are women too who force and pressurise other women to follow the hijab, intolerant of the other’s choice. Respect, is what Masih and the thousands of women on her page want. Respect for their choices, as they respect the choice of women who choose to wear the hijab of their own accord, “Many women send us pictures wearing hijab, who say we believe in hijab but we hate compulsory hijab – so we need more such women to join us.”

[su_column]

I have decided if I see somewhere the signs of;compulsory hijab; and; invitation to goodness; , I will write in my words (and slogans of freedom) instead. I've learnt from this page that I shouldn't live stealthy.
I have decided if I see somewhere the signs of “compulsory hijab” and ” invitation to goodness”, I will write in my words (and slogans of freedom) instead. I’ve learnt from this page that I shouldn’t live stealthy.

[/su_column]

And it’s not just the women that this archaic law disrespects, “I strongly believe that compulsory hijab is an insult to men as well. When you say that according to Islamic rules when you don’t wear a hijab as an Islamic woman, your hair can excite men and men cannot control themselves if they see your hair -this is an insult to these men. And I keep hearing from these men through the Fb page – the last post is from a young man who says ‘This is me and my mother’, and he wanted to show his solidarity. Lot of men believe compulsory hijab to be an insult to men, and a way to pressurise women – these are educated men who don’t think that women should stop singing or showing their hair because of them!”

But opposition from Iranian men has come from another quarter. Against the petition (to which Masih is a signatory) to the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA), asking it to boycott the Iranian team and make the Iranian government allow the women of Iran to watch sports, just like the men. But the men believe it’s against “national interest”.  Acclaimed Iranian director, Jafar Panahi’s 2006 film ‘Offside’ was perhaps the best telling of this situation for me. The film is the story of a motley bunch of 6 women, who, dressed as men, try and sneak in to watch Iran play Bahrain in a World Cup qualifying match, but get caught.

The Iranian government believes that somehow having women in stadiums will encourage violence and abuse. And then, last year, it was the case of Ghoncheh Ghavami, a British-Iranian, who was put behind bars for trying to watch a volleyball match in Iran. FIFA itself had first banned women from playing the sport wearing a hijab, but later revoked this in early 2014 in the face of convincing evidence that it targeted a certain section of the population unfairly and that the safety argument did not hold much water. In fact, FIFA President, Sepp Blatter, in the March 2015 issue has joined these women in raising his voice against this injustice, “When I travelled to Iran in November 2013, I was not only confronted with huge popular enthusiasm for football but also with a law forbidding women from attending football matches. I raised the topic at my meeting with President of Iran Hassan Rouhani, and came away with the impression that this intolerable situation could change over the medium term. However, nothing has happened. A collective “stadium ban” still applies to women in Iran, despite the existence of a thriving women’s football organisation. This cannot continue. Hence my appeal to the Iranian authorities: open the nation’s football stadiums to women!

For Masih, I am certain, this is but a small victory, “We’ve been shouting, and screaming and crying for equality for a long time. No one paid any attention to our voices. This is the first time that we’ve come together and signed a letter to FIFA … we have been boycotted for 35 years and this is the only way to even get the men’s attention to understand how it feels when you are banned from supporting your own national team in your own country.”

Masih, her voice strongest when it articulates her hope, tells me of her dream for her country, “My dream is that one day Iranian women will have real freedom, not freedom in stealth or secret or underground. That we will have the same rights as our brothers inside Iran.  Saying no to compulsory hijab is the first step towards true equality in Iran… I see the future of Iran as bright – in spite of all the darkness, the loudest voices are those coming from Iranian women and you cannot keep these women silent forever.”

So to answer that man who asked her if she was speaking ‘against’ Iran? No. What Masih Alinejad is doing is ‘giving a voice to the voiceless and stirring the conscience of humanity to support the struggle of Iranian women for basic human rights, freedom and equality.’

Photo Source: All photos used in this piece have been taken from the ‘My Stealthy Freedom’ Facebook page.

Also Read: Hijab-ily Ever After: Liberated, Strong, Empowered And NOT Oppressed

1. swati

@ green lantern I don’t know whether girls are happy to be born in Iran or not but you should be glad that you are born in India.

http://www.avoiceformen.com/gynocentrism/the-myth-of-patriarchal-oppression-in-iran/

This might burst your bubble about Iran.

1. Ra’s al Ghul

Please READ the article whose link you have posted. It talks about how well-off women are in Iran, while it is boys and men who are discriminated against.

Iranian women are among the largest consumers of makeup in the world, along with Iran having the highest rate of nose jobs for women in the world, and being among the countries with highest rates of cosmetic surgery fr women. These exceedingly expensive nose jobs and other cosmetic surgeries are – as you guessed it – almost always paid for by men. Even most women in the rather poor sectors of society force their men to pay for cosmetic surgeries usually by exercising guilt trips and shaming. This article provides some insight into this:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/iran-blog/2013/mar/01/beauty-obsession-iran-cosmetic-surgery

In Iran:

Conscription only for men

“Free” (paid by men) health insurance for women only

Pensions for women.

Support for divorced women.

No compensation for surviving husbands.

Welfare for women.

Inheritance after divorce.

AT THE SAME TIME

There are currently 1.7 million children laboring (ages 5 to 15), 92% of whom are boys.
      95% of children living in the streets are boys. (Curiously enough this statistic was very hard to find because almost none of the sources concerning child labor mentioned the disparity between the sexes.)
      Males make 85% of the homeless. (Interestingly enough you will find that newspaper titles are: 15% of the homeless are women and address concerns regarding that, implying that the goal should be that 100% of the homeless are male. Also, numerous articles, investigations and organizations exist in regards to homeless women.)
      100% of battlefield deaths have been and will be men.
      100% of battlefield injuries are men.
      98.5% of workplace injuries in 2005 were men]. (In 2004, 2003 and 2002 respectively 98.5%, 98.7% and 98.7%)
      60% of rape victims are male (excluding prison rapes).
      Males also make up 81.7% of suicides.(Interestingly, it is a piece of cake to find many media outlets openly lying that women have higher rates of suicide.)

2. Maria

In a society were women are only thought of as objects that need to be beautiful but also hide their beauty you see this kind of statistics of nose jobs and inappropriately large use of cosmetics. In Europe where most women work side to side with men and are valued also by their personality and intelligence, you see them spending less money or time on their faces (nor their own money or their mens money)

3. Jigsaw

Europe is the hub of fashion, beauty, plastic surgery. Billions of dollars are spent annually on beautification.

2. Richard

Yes boys and men are also discriminated against. So are women. This article is about women in Iran though, who are not free. Women in Iran have many state funded supports AS LONG AS THEY AGREE NOT TO BE FREE. To sacrifice freedom for being bought out by the state only continues the institution of slavery worldwide.

3. Suzanne Smith

I always see making women walk around in loose tents to be an insult on men, as it’s saying they’re uncontrollable maniacs, who will go on a raping frenzy if they see a woman’s hair.
    Even if that’s what some think men are, why should it be women who have their freedom taken away? Tigers are kept in cages because it’s in their nature to attack, so if men are
    uncontrollable maniacs, why not keep them in cages so women can live in safety? Or even castrate them? If keeping any other male creature for anything other than breeding, it’s
    best to castrate them to stop any unwanted sexual or irrational aggressive behaviour.

4. Sarath

Must say Iranian women are quite beautiful, sometimes I feel they are from another planet. No wonder the guys wont allow them to show their hair

More from Artika Raj

By Love Matters India

By Tabish Khan

By Melanie Dhar

• “Every 15 Minutes, A Crime Is Committed Against A Dalit Person” Will We Find A ‘Cure’ For Caste-Based Violence? Start writing
  • The Darker Side Of The System: What Do You Think Of Police Brutality In India? Start writing
  • What Is One Movie Or Tv Show That You Can’t Stop Thinking About? Start writing
  • How Do We Begin Dismantling Locker Rooms That Carry On The Old Tradition Of Gendered Abuse? Start writing
  • What Lessons Have You Learnt During This Lockdown. Start writing

• Mobilising young people between the age of 18-35 to become ‘Eco-Period Champions’ by making the switch to a sustainable menstrual alternative and becoming advocates for the project
  • All existing and upcoming public institutions (pink toilets, washrooms, schools, colleges, government offices, government buildings) across East Delhi to have affordable provisions for sustainable menstrual product options