This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Shambhavi Saxena. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Is It True: That Homosexuality Can Be Cured?

More from Shambhavi Saxena

By Shambhavi Saxena:

Why would you want it ‘cured’ anyway?

Before we get to whether this is true or not, let’s first ask what homosexuality is. Etymologically, “homo” = same (Greek), and a homosexual is a person who is sexually attracted to the same sex or gender. Now that’s a bare-bones definition, and is complicated by the word “sexuality”, which refers to a system of behaviours, practices, codes and conventions as well as innumerable variations of and departures from the ‘norm’.

IIT Regular image

Now, we’re not saying that all people who ask this question are homophobic bigots, but there is definitely a lack of understanding and even a sense of straight-people privilege that prevents a person from revising their understanding of a marginalized community.

It is a widely held belief that homosexuals are suffering from some sort of physical and/or mental disease that makes them not want to copulate with the opposite sex (let’s not even get into the debate about the good people of asexual land). They are seen as freaks, living in sin, not-human, simply because they do not conform to heterosexual practices. Social constructions of virginity and sex-for-procreation-only lead a lot of people to believe that individuals existing outside the dominant mode of sexual behaviour are in some way damaged. There’s a saying on the interwebz that kids are too young to know what their sexuality is unless it’s heterosexual.

Homosexuals are perceived as having a separate lifestyle and even genetic make-up. There has been talk about the existence of a “gay gene”, which makes homosexuality sound more naturally occurring than as an aberration. When established as something out of the individual’s control, like your ethnicity, it’s kinda hard (and cruel) to say “stop being gay!” Like heterosexuality, homosexuality is therefore natural, and, in fact, homosexual behaviour is practiced in 1500 animal species, including the dwarf chimpanzee which is one of our closest relatives.

Saying homosexuality can be cured is like saying being black can be cured. Better still, it’s like saying heterosexuality can be cured. It is not a disease, but a simple fact of life. Someone tell that to the Baba Ramdevs and the Dimitri Yusrokov Slaminis of the world.

So to answer the question, No, Homosexuality cannot be cured. Homosexuality needs no curing, it’s not a disease!

1. B

Trying to give examples to support homosexuality from the animal kingdom comes across as bizarre, since animals indulge in bestiality, and what animals do or don’t do is not a deciding factor or criteria to judge what is normal and what isn’t.

Not a single homosexual pair can have their own children. They have to adopt. And then they end up thrusting their adopted children with two dads or two moms. They cannot satisfy their sexual urge in a proper manner, so they have anal sex, while the anus is not designed for penile penetration.

Heterosexuality on the other hand preserves culture, love, humans, and provides further generations but heterosexuality is all about two guys ripping each others’ asses apart and spreading disease.

1. Pizza

Bestiality- sex between a human being and an animal. Which makes your usage of the term above wrong.

Also, let’s talk about homosexual parents and kids. As they cannot procreate naturally, they have to go through the long and rigorous process of adoption during which they are tested on whether they are mentally, financially and emotionally ready for children. A lot of thought goes into this ensuring that when a child does get adopted by a homosexual couple, he/is is definitely
      1. wanted
      2. loved
      3. cared for
      As a contrast, I’d just like to point out that it is possible for heterosexual couples to conceive children by accident and such children are often unwanted and unloved – something that has a zero % chance of occuring in a homosexual relationship.

Studies show that children of lesbian parents perform better academically and have better emotional growth as compared to their peers of heterosexual parents.

Interesting fact: Studies have shown that a large percentage of men that profess to be homophobic are actually closeted homosexuals themselvs. Experiments and tests show that such men get aroused when shown gay porn.
      So…maybe it’s time for you to come out of the closet? Your graphic description of gay sex shows that you seem to have thought about it in much detail. 😉

2. iG0tB00ts

Beastiality? How is it beastiality when they’re engaging with their own kind? From our point of view it’s beastiality, but theirs is just fornication

3. Divyansh

Hey, person, believe me or not, no matter what you say, no matter what excuses, I assure you, I’d get married to a guy, raise a child with him, and show to the world (you’d be living in some corner of the world, ranting about how intolerant you are) how I can live a normal happy life with my husband. And yeah, you have quite a knowledge about homosexuality(‘penile penetration’) and if people marry only to procreate, then sir/ma’am, this is a problem for our country, we need to ban half of the straight people from marrying or separate them as soon as they’ve had a child. For your last sentence, I make the culture, if i’m a part of it, love- my parents love me, my dog loves me, my friends love me, my sister loves me, my boyfriend ‘will’ love me, I’m sorry that you haven’t got enough people to love you that you need to attack other people’s privacy or lives AND yeah in the future (I dunno if you’d be able to see, cus people with so much hatred have short lives 😉 ), Homosexual couples will be able to have biological children ‘unnaturally’ , just in as unnatural way as you live your unnatural life.
      A GAY PERSON

4. Shambhavi Saxena

Your pseudo scientific and extremely uninformed views on the subject are troubling. I hope you have the time to read some actual literature on homosexuality across time and civilisations and return to this post to engage in a healthy and productive debate on the issue! Good luck!

2. B

Someone explain to me the following quotes:

“Heterosexual intercourse is the pure, formalized expression of contempt for women’s bodies.” – Andrea Dworkin

“Feminism is the theory, lesbianism is the practice.” – Ti-Grace Atkinson

I became a lesbian because of women, because women are beautiful, strong, and compassionate – Rita Mae Brown

“When a woman reaches orgasm with a man she is only collaborating with the patriarchal system, eroticizing her own oppression.” – Sheila Jeffrys

“All sex, even consensual sex between a married couple, is an act of violence perpetrated against a woman.” – Catherine MacKinnon

1. ItsJustMe

Many man hate promotions by world reknowned feminists (or should I feminazis). Got nothing to do with actual lesbianism. Which is highly likely to be biological

3. rebel4gud

first and formost , iam totally against the atrocities faced by the lgbt community , i guess we have to see people as people.
    on the other hand homosexuality as a practice should not be encouraged , simply because it is not how the universe was designed to be . it has not yet been completely proved if people are genetically homosexual or if they are homosexual by choice or situations.if the latter is true,the the practice of homosexuality should not be encouraged simply because thats not the order of the universe and it is unnatural.i believe that religion and science go hand in hand,according to what is said in the quran and the bible,homosexuality is unnatural and i truly believe that this has got scientific implications to it.
    yet again,i am not against the lgbt community and i respect them as a person.

1. Shambhavi Saxena

I’m sorry, but despite your disclaimer at the beginning, this is an extremely homophobic comment and I hope you do not ever come in contact with any LGBT persons, because your harmful opinions will upset them very much. I must remind you that the caste system was very much thought of as “the order of nature”, do you also believe that we should practice caste today? Do you believe that buildings and trains should be torn down because they are unnatural? Shall we stop sending our girls to school, because girls being educated is unnatural? I’m not mocking, I genuinely want to know your opinion on these matters. Thanks.

4. Mysterious

Homosexuality being encouraged?? What is that? It’s not a practice not a choice. It’s a sexual orientation. Heterosexual ppl are attracted to opposite sex and homosexuals are to the same sex. They can’t choose who they fall for. It can’t be “encouraged” it’s not a choice.
    It should be viewed like heterosexuality is viewed they have all the right to be happy and adopt a kid who will be blessed with broad minded parents a good home and love.
    Advice to those who are against homosexuality: “GET OUT OF PPL’S BEDROOMS”

5. Mysterious

Oh and “B” guess what
    Heterosexual couples can also be interested in anal sex and even prefer it to vaginal intercourse.
    Technology will develop enough to enable homosexualls to have biological children.
    And guess what??
    We as humans are not yet evolved entirely to be able to say what is natural and what’s unnatural. We are still evolving and don’t have entire knowledge of our existence or nature or anything so you should stop your whining unless you are being harmed by gays or Lesbos or whatever type of sex they have . not your business. Not a crime.

More from Shambhavi Saxena

By Saswati Chatterjee

By Soumadri Banerjee

By Sreeja Karanam