Watch How A Group Of Students Made People ‘Come And See The Blood On Their Skirts’

Posted on April 12, 2015 in Menstruation, Society, Taboos, Video

By Sanskriti Pandey:

“People need to be comfortable with the fact that as they walk down the streets, there are women walking around wearing sanitary napkins and tampons fixed firmly so that not a drop leaks out…”

Echoing the sentiments of every feminist through an audacious campaign that brought to light the reduction of a woman’s sexuality to her ability to bleed every month, Shambhawi Vikram spells out plain and clearthis is for the freedom to bleed red. As sanitary pads appeared around the Jamia Millia Islamia and Delhi University campuses earlier this year, the messages written on them turned quite a few heads.

Come And See The Blood On My Skirt!’ is a manifestation of the need to “march past the hostile streets, the pharmacies and authorities, past the temples and kitchens, past the markets and the classrooms showing the world the ‘messy’ business that menstruation is!,” explained Shambhavi, one of the organisers of the event, in this article on Youth Ki Awaaz. She talked about why discriminative societies everywhere need such movements addressing the taboo around menstruation and educating the masses on comprehensive sexuality education and gender sensitization. Scoopwhoop covered the event in this video, where you can see the ‘Laal Salaam’ banners flashing high and proud. Watch, read, and tell us what you think!

To know more about what I think of this video, follow me on Twitter at @im_sanskriti.