4 Reasons Why I Think Dove’s Attempt At Making Women #ChooseBeautiful Is Offensive

Posted on April 18, 2015 in Body Image, Lists, Society, Taboos, Video

By Sanskriti Pandey

In this recent video, Dove has recorded a social experiment that lets women choose to walk through either of two doors labeled ‘Average’ and ‘Beautiful’. According to their YouTube description, they travelled across several cities “to prove that beauty is a choice” and that “the power of this choice is in your hands.” Feeling special, yet? Feeding ‘empowering’ messages through ‘social experiments’ is passé, but the following questions are why Dove’s attempt at making women #ChooseBeautiful is, in truth, a little offensive:

• Why reduce women to their physical appearance in order to feel empowered?
  • Is beauty a precedent to empowerment?
  • Why can’t women choose to be “strong” or “confident” instead?
  • Why is a brand that sells beauty products being allowed, by you and I, to tell us that we absolutely need to be ‘beautiful‘?

Emphasis on beauty in an unequal and sexist society is every feminist’s nightmare. Watch, and tell me what you think!

To know more about what I think of this video, follow me on Twitter at @im_sanskriti.