‘It Was A Horrifying Sight’ – IIT BHU Student Recounts ‘Battleground’, Braving Bombs And Lathis

This first person account was sent to us by a student of IIT BHU. If you were present there, add on to the story by telling us what you saw in the comment section below.

In what can be only termed as a brazen display of hooliganism, IIT BHU students were beaten up, pelted with stones and attacked with petrol bombs by students of Law Faculty-BHU. Last night, a riot was triggered by the mismanagement and incompetence of the IIT BHU proctors. Initially, there was a minor scuffle when some IIT BHU students were denied the right to play cricket on their own ground. As the situation got tense, the IIT BHU proctors were called to the scene to calm the agitated crowd. But what can only be seen as a shameful reality of the inadequate security that the IIT-BHU students are provided with, they were threatened with dire consequences and ultimately beaten mercilessly with stumps and bats, while the proctors stood as “silent guardians”, allowing the hooligans to continue with this barbaric act. All this happened in front of around two dozen officials who kept their hands and tongue tied.

IIT BHU

Seeing our batch mates bleed profusely, the IIT students retaliated and ran behind the perpetrators to catch them. But by then, they had reached the safety of their hostel and started pelting stones. When the IIT students advanced forward, petrol bombs were hurled at them. Then it turned into a standoff, with both sides hurling stones at each other. The IIT students were always on the backfoot as petrol bombs were being hurled on them continuously. Standing there in the dark with bleeding heads and burns on our bodies, we alone took on the fight with no support from the BHU administration or the police. After nearly four hours, the police came to intervene but by then the students of IIT had suffered massive casualties.

But this was not the end of the story, reports started coming that our friends were being picked up and attacked at various places inside the campus. At 10.30 PM, when more than 2000 students gathered at that very place to demand for immediate action, lathicharge was inflicted upon them with severe brutality. They chased the students inside the hostels, delivering blows after blows. At around midnight, 400 students from one of the hostels were evacuated and thrown out of the campus with no regard for their safety when there was every possibility of retaliation on these students as they spent a sleepless night on the streets.

IIT BHU 1

This was not a stray incident, girls are being groped in daylight and students picked up and thrashed inside the campus, events like these have happened in the past but now the frequency is increasing. Only last year, three students from IIT-BHU were attacked and abducted, for which a huge protest was held. But the hypocrisy of the promises made by the administration can be seen clearly. There has been no barricading, no checking of IDs, and lack of police personnel; instead they are forced to live in fear expecting to be the next victim in this never ending series of attack on IIT students. Providing a safe and secure environment should be the first priority of the administration, but the irony of getting thrashed in front of them, being portrayed as the culprits instead as victims has come too far.

The author of the post has requested anonymity.

1. Manasi Chaudhari

OMG. This is deeply disturbing. To think that IIT, which is considered the ‘sacred’ institution of education, would expose their students to hooliganism unbecoming of the educated, would give anyone the shudders.

1. NIkhil

There is a high possibility that VC is involved in this matter and have always opined against IT to IIT conversion. This event is one of the example of suppression by BHU students and hooligans on IIT students. Thus this time, the water has crossed over head, when LAW faculty students came into IIT campus and beat them brutally. We IITians are not born fighters or hooligans, thus have waited for BHU proctors to react, and let the things go in legal.
      But what happened there was witnessed by me and was totally shameful. As proctor members said: ” They are your guest, let them play’. And by the time, he could have completed his statement, IIT students were already got thrashing by LAW faculty students.
      And they ran away and while chasing them, IIT students got hurt by pelting of pebbles by LAW faculty students. And thus more IITians came together getting united and answered in same manner. But soon they got in reply petrol bombs hurled by LAW faculty students, to which we had no answer but to remain behind barricade. During this fire storm created by LAW people, one of IIT BHU student got major burn. Police of campus (proctors) were hiding themselves instead of protecting us and haven’t even tried to stop the stone pelting.
      Once we stopped replying to their stone pelting on request by senior proctors , but again many students got hit by continuous attacks of by LAW faculty students and thus we got angry when even protectors cant protect us, then best is self defense, so we started stone pelting only in reply to LAW faculty.

(TAKE our history, IIT BHU or IT BHU have never been into initiation of any fights even after our students got abducted in every few weeks or months, our female students are man handled and eve-teased and given abusive comments. We are now considered as enemy, just because we got the progress we deserved and we ourselves earned it. BHU is definitely against us as their pay is lower so as their power than us)

After SP came and started joking around us without taking any idea of what’s happening, we got the news that few IIT BHU students were beaten somewhere around Amphi theatre just because they were from IIT BHU.

Then PAC were deployed and they were witnessed to break power and connectivity lines due to which students came out from other hostels and thus they were intentionally beaten up so badly entering into messes.

Answer me one thing: what did the innocents do while having dinner peacefully?

Then PAC entered into non-victims hostels and beat them mercilessly and evacuated CV Raman (another innocent people hostel) just because they were near by the hostel of Hooligans (LAW faculty people).
      Till now no investigation and identification of accused LAW students hasn’t been even started.

Just answer who all are responsible.?
      IIT students, who didnt even fight back at the incident , when beaten up by LAW students.

NO….
      BACK OUT LAW STUDENTS , BHU administration !

2. Anurag Pandey

I find it immensely funny and hugely ironical that you thought it would be logical to say that 2000 students were chased by some 400 students. And my friend, you seem a little too ill-informed on the fact that the ‘pebbles’ were thrown only in reply to the IIT students who threw heavy stones (stored nearby for the construction of one of the hostels) and caused grievous hurt to the students who were simply trying to play a harmless game of cricket.
      And although you do call yourselves non-hooligans, you sure proved otherwise when you started to roam around in a mob carrying hockey sticks and chains, seemingly out on a stone-age hunt, only armed according to the present.
      I have a massive respect for the IITs, having many of my family members from the institution. So if you’ve been granted the title of one, learn to respect the sanctity of it.
      We have acknowledged our mistakes. You doing the same wouldn’t make you lesser mortals.

3. yogeshu

Manasi:

The violence is not done by IIT-BHU students, they are the victims of violence perpetuated by students of other faculties
      at BHU. Please read the article carefully. It shows how the administrators fail to protect students from violence.

2. Prakhar

Lately with the lawlessness in the university, it is becoming a race either to be a criminal or be victimized. So much work and this is what we have been reduced to and it is sad. Its just sad.

3. Shobhit

This all took place on the direction of the directorof IIT BHU who wants that IIT BHU gets seaprated from BHU so that he can become V.C of it. Law Faculty student were thrown out of hostel and lathichrged by administartion at middle of the night. Students of IIT and Law Fac are just the puppets for the oppurtunist people who wants to disrupt the peace of BHU Campus for their own benefits.

1. NIkhil

What happened in the Banaras Hindu University campus on the 9th of April must not have happened in the first place had the authorities not turned a blind eye to all the incidents that have happened in the past couple of years .

There is this friction that exists between the faculty of engineering and other faculties here and this has escalated rapidly ever since we were christened an IIT. There have been so many incidents where the students of IIT have been abducted, mistreated, beaten up just because they are from this faculty.
      At around 5 pm on Thursday, the Rajputana Grounds (which come under the IIT-(BHU) Gymkhana) were packed with people playing cricket. There were outsiders and people from other faculties, with one of the a main pitchs being occupied by people from the faculty of Law. Some of the people from IIT wanted to have a match amongst themselves so they asked the students of Law to vacate the pitch, to which they refused and started misbehaving. The Deputy Proctor (the one incharge of security in the IIT premises) was called. Inspite of exercising his rights to vacate the grounds he started preaching his own students “Are wo mehmaan hai, aap log to kabhi bhi khel sakte hai..!” (They are our guests , let them play. The ground is all yours.). After a heated arguement over this the students from Law faculty started a street fight with stumps and cricket bats. This was it, the Shankhnaad, the start of a fierce battle.

The IIT people chased the guys till they entered their respective hostels. On their way back, they damaged many vehicles parked outside C V Raman Hostel (an IIT-(BHU) hostel). Soon people from Bhagvandaas Hostel (a Law faculty hostel) came out and started pelting stones at the IIT students standing on the roads. This incited the people from C V Raman Hostel and they too joined the battle. In just a matter of minutes there was a mob of around a thousand students pelting stones from both sides. The barricadings on either side served as borders in what looked like a war. The first thing one would ask after hearing this is “What were the security guards doing?”. Well they were trying to convince the IIT junta – “aap logo ko ye sab shobha nahi deta!” (this doesn’t suit people like you). The struggle got fiercer as there was no interruption from the security personels. Meanwhile some girls of the IIT faculty were teased near Swantrata Bhawan by outsiders and a couple of guys were beaten up at the Seer Gate of BHU. The students from Law soon started bombing petrol bombs which totally terrorized the situation. One of the IIT students’ head even caught flames!
      All through this incident the Director of the institute was out of station and the matter was being dealt by lower authorities. Soon enough with the interruption of PAC and local administration the fight did stop and the people from IIT sat down on the roads protesting peacefully.

After a regular dose of assurance an FIR was lodged and slowly the people retreated back to their hostels. This wasn’t an end though. At around 10 pm, while the Dean of Student Affairs (DoSA), Dean of Academic Affairs (DoAA) and Deputy Proctor were preaching their sermons, the PAC company that was deployed to safeguard the IIT premises was found absent. Also a couple of guys who had faced injuries and were returning back from Sir Sunderlal Hospital were abducted near the Faculty of Law and held captive. As soon as this news reached the students , a strength of approximately 2000 people gathered near the Dhanrajgiri Chowraha and started marching towards the Faculty of Law.

Those abducted did reach back safely but the crowd decided to stay back and started protesting peacefully. This enraged the PAC to an extent that without any notice they started launching flare bombs and swept the crowd away with a lathicharge. The lathicharge injured several hundreds of people who were actually just standing there.Later that night came another irresponsible decision. The C V Raman hostel was evacuated and the residents had to spend their night at the Lanka Gate.
      This was not the first time that the IIT junta had been suppressed , it has been happening in the past but yes we’ll make sure this doesn’t happen again. In the words of Mahamana Malviya Ji

4. A spectator of the incident

Being present around the mob for almost the entire incident, let me start off by clearing one doubt of the mighty IITians that in the entire campus, there is no such thing as “their own ground”. All such notions were put to rest the last time such a mob fury had taken place and it was told by the administration that any ground, during the time meant for it, would belong to the group who would occupy it first.
    Secondly, it was the IITians who began to fist fight after the scuffle had ensued between the Law students and themselves claiming it to be their own ground and one of them went on to ask the Law students to “fuck off from the IIT campus”.
    What I found most weird was that there was no mention of the details of the fight, particularly the fact that the ratio of the law students to the IITians who were involved in the fight was near about 300:2000 and a few of the law students were beaten to pulp and had their heads split open due to the construction material being hurled at their small group by the students from “an elite institution of the country”.
    Another, and probably the most brazen, act of the day was when a senior professor and also the warden of the Bhagwandas Hostel was brutally beaten by the IIT students when he came forward to sort the matter out before both the parties. Also, the biased nature of the writer of this article can clearly be seen since he forgot to mention that even the hostel of the law students was shut down and hundreds of students, in an injured state had to spend their night out in the open, fearing for their lives if the angry mob of the IITians sporting hockey sticks and chains in their hands spotted them.
    Petrol bombs came into the picture because the Law students along with the faculty members were chased into the Bhagwandas Hostel and had their lives threatened by the mob who saw no difference between the people they were trying to hurt and those who stepped in to mediate. Also, the administration did not imagine that apart from the running such a vast institution, it also had to be prepared to handle 5000 students who would suddenly wage war on a department of the University for the petty issue of a playground.
    Clearly, the students who falsely consider themselves “an elite class” should know and act better in order to even come close to being the contenders for the term ‘elite’.

1. Sudeepta

Well Dear spectator of event that ground is of IIT BHU gymkhana and u can see a hoarding written “IT BHU ghymkhana” in the ground just in front of limbdi hostel. Just because proctors are ignorant about it, you dont have to be. I never saw an hockey sticks neither a chain. Yeah people may have wickets but chains couldn’t have been there. More over about the outnumbering statistics. You people called students from other faculty. You people can easily outnumber us. In the ground our seniors had called security personnel first. Now, if they had to punch you they would have done it earlier without calling proctors. By the way, the fact of throwing petrol bomb itself proves who is more tactfully violent and so it those person who is more likely to start violence. Isn’t? By the way do you know why you were asked to leave because clearly you were more violent. Obviously and quite logically, if there is a clash between two group in a certain area, the more violent group is removed first and debarred from entering the place. If the opposite happens it is quite likely that violent group may follow the other group secretly start violence again. The less violent group would have been removed if the pacifying group (in this case PAC) could’t have overpowered the more violent which is not the case.
      More over violence could have been started even a year ago when Birla hostelers had kidnapped a guy from IIT, or could have stated in at least half dozen of cases in which IITians were victim. Then why this one alone?
      Elite class? Well that’s the term coined by you people suffering inferiority complex. No where in the article the writer has written about it.

5. Anurag Pandey

You guys don’t seem to have the guts to publish my comment, do you? If you’ve got to be the shoe dust of the mighty IIT, why call yourselves Youth Ki Awaaz? Better call yourselves Majority Ki Awaaz.

6. Aishwarya Prakash

Wo.. wo.. wo.. before i say anything else.. let me tell you.. you surely deserve a slow clap.. for your amazing write up!

For all those who might read this.. let me tell you I too am a student of BHU.. n no i ws not present at the scene of the incident.. n only got to know abt it.. wen i saw the PAC in the campus..

Bt all iv got to say is.. playing d victim us d easiest part.. n @youthkiawaz iv always been an ardent reader n i really appreciate your selection of articles bt this so one sided.. wt happened to balanced reporting? Should’nt we get to hear the side of the law students as well?

N for the writer.. dude this is soo immature.. your making it sound like.. IIT iss stuck in some jungle where only barbarians sorround it! Your bringing bad name to our university!

I do not say the administration ws nt at at fault.. or that the other guys wernt.. bt all i got to say is.. wenevr something like this happens.. noone is d victim.. there must be many people on the other side too who wud hv been injured.. and yet you make it sound like.. you are a group of freedom fighters who were being beaten up by d english!

I do not know who really was the one who initiated the argument.. bt i m sure the writer and his batchmates cannot be as innocent as they claim themselves to be!

N about girls being groped.. n u guys being the target all the time and at all places.. now dude.. thats completely.. completely false.. ur institute is given a lot of respect in our university and you are as much a part of us.. as anyother faculty or institute!

M a girl too.. a girl frm the Mahila Mahavidyalaya.. n trust me readers.. I have never suffer any harresment of any kind.. be it verbal or physical.. evn once in two years that i’v spent in the campus.

The only thing that bothers me.. is the constant friend requests n stupid messages i keep getting in my fb inbox.. and to remind u.. many of those are from u IITians only 😛

So dude plz.. yes you guys wer hurt.. n u hurt the other side too.. thats what happens when ppl fyt.. n in a fyt noone is the victim!

1. gaurav somani

dont act like a child…..and tht frnd rq./mesg. thing is ur personal matter……dont be boastful of it……

7. NIkhil

1. NAVEEN GUPTA

BHU CAMPUS HAS BEEN FULL OF HIGH VOLTAGE LOCAL POLITICS WAY BEFORE WE STUDIED. IIT FACULTY GET EXPOSED TO IT COMPULSORILY. IT IS HIGH TIME THAT ADMINISTRATION SHOULD SEPARATE OUT THE CAMPUS OF IIT TO SAVE IT`S CLASS AND REPUTATION.

2. Raaz

Dear friends this is not a fight between an IIT and any other faculty

The writer is defending his side very fairly, this shows his immaturity.

My friends from IIT let me tell you one thing brothers, IT BHU is now an IIT not because of your protests and other things for this, but because under the administration of BHU it was working very properly, and was able to compete any IIT of the country. So as a reward of this preformance You got the second I in youd name and became an IIT from IT only. So it is not the question that you are not part of BHU, and whatever comes in IIT premisis cant be used by other students.
      And you must not forget that whenever you
      ( the students of IT BHU) went for protest you were backed by some students of other faculties as well. So this is not the point that you are elite and other faculties are not.

I don’t want to preach you morality, but just want you to see through google about the performance of other faculties of BHU and their national ranking( In perticular LAW School BHU). It will help you out to realise that ‘feeling of being ELITE’ is just a pseudo feeling, and students are other faculties are not barbarians, as the writer suggests.

And I was there at Badminton court at the time when it was all started.
      , so I know the whole story.

I spoke too much to IITans because this post was biased and none of you came out to clarify.

To the friends of Law faculty: Dear friends I understand that the ground for which all the things started is good and big enough to play a cricket match, but still you must have avoided to play there, and you must have emptied the ground when asked by your fellow IITans. If they feel they are elite let them feel and ignore them. Because it is not so and at a time law school bhu was 3 best institute of law in the country, but there is no such glory associated with our IIT.

To the administration of BHU: Please provide equal facilities and quality of service to all the sudents and hostels within the campus. The important question to be answerd on your account is that, what is the reason that foeced LAW students to play at that ground?

If there is any kind of partiality on the basis of IIT and non -IIT, such clashes are bound to happen.

A university becomes great not because of their work in technology but in because of development in all the field of study.

3. Sarcastic Retard

IIT-BHU’s class and reputation!?
      Roflmao xD

8. Shubh

Go for some self introspection people. What you (in fact WE) need is an administration with a non-separatist mentality. There is all the scope for harmony. It’s such a wonderful campus. Let’s be together and don’t let these administrators make a foll fool out of us.
    सर्व-विद्या की राजधानी।

9. Peeyush

i smell bias in your post. Well I am not surprised with what you say here since the kind of ‘education’ you get in IITs nowadays. I was right there when this madness started. I would like to revitalize your memory with some recounts of that day. First, bhu campus hosts more than 3000 iitians, more than 1000 were present there against 200 law students. 2nd there were stone pelting from both sides, if you are curious enough I can provide you details of students from law who got injured from continued stone pelting from IIT side. During this madness even the wardan of bhagwan das hostel got injured because he tried to come in between to bring peace. It was a dreadful sight for me when I saw IITians throwing petrol bombs at the law students who too were doing the same. It was dreadful because I know how much it takes to become an iitian, you turn into a celebrity in your locality. Then you pelt stones at students because somebody was playing on your ground. I suggest you to stop ridiculing yourself by lying in public.

By Sahil Basu

By Author Anonymous

By BigChange