Molested 12 Meters Below Sea Level By My Diving Instructor, All I Could Do Was Signal ‘OK’

IMPACT: Post publishing of this story, many other students of the diving institute came out with similar instances they faced with the same instructor. The police took action against the instructor and the case is being investigated. From Youth Ki Awaaz, the story was picked up by Huffington Post, was telecast on Aaj Tak and Headlines Today and was shared by several media organizations, reaching millions.

By Kavya Raman:

I was only 7 when I first heard the words, “don’t look under the bed, there’s a monster underneath”. Back then, I shuddered at the thought of this, jumped right onto my bed, wrapped my blanket tightly around myself and went to sleep. I went to sleep waiting for the sun to rise, waiting for the monsters to disappear with the dawn of the sun rays, waiting for a safe and beautiful morning. As I grew older, I obviously got rid of this childish notion of there being monsters under my bed. I grew strong and confident knowing that they were gone, that they’d never bother my sleep again, and most importantly, they didn’t really exist.

Today, I’m 23 and I know that monsters do exist. They not only exist but they lurk in every corner of every street. And every second, they threaten the safety, dignity and self-respect of millions of girls around the world, just like me. They catch us in vulnerable, helpless situations and take complete advantage of us. Also, they come in different forms, be it as a passenger of the Indigo airlines or as my SCUBA diving instructor.

Photo used for representation only. (Photo Credit)

This one particular monster, my personal SCUBA diving instructor from the ‘Dreamz Diving’ organization, clasped my palm tight and led me away from our boat, the boat that was half an hour away from the nearest shore, the boat where the rest of my friends were preparing for their dives with their personal instructors. We were all told to give our instructors the ‘OK’ signal underwater every few minutes to let them know that we were alright. When we started, the feeling of self-contained breathing underwater overwhelmed me. The excitement of my first dive diverted my attention from the wrong that was happening to me for the first few minutes.

We descended underwater, meter by meter, and finally reached the sea bed. My instructor had my breathing equipment in his control and my oxygen tank in his hands. But as we swam across the corals, the fish and the fluorescent-coloured plants at the very bottom of the Arabian Sea, his hands were no longer on my diving equipment. First one hand, then the other and finally both. I cringed in shock. I tried to shake his hands away from my body but in vain. The shock slowly turned to fright when his hands began to move across my body. I looked in his direction in despair but couldn’t see him. After all, he was right behind me with both his hands groping me. I was aghast and tried to think fast. I tried to break free but the grasp was too tight. He then signalled asking me if I was okay. I signalled with an ‘OK’. 12 meters below sea level, with my breathing equipment under his control, I didn’t dare show any fear.

The sea was calmer than ever, but there was a hurricane inside my head. He moved one of his hands away from me to adjust his equipment. By reflex, I guarded myself with one of my hands to prevent him from touching me again. In the matter of a few seconds, his hand forcefully found its way back to where he removed it from. My body turned numb with fear. I wanted to scream and shout, I wanted to release myself from his clutches, I wanted to cry, but all I could do was signal him with an ‘OK’ because more than anything else, I wanted to get back to the boat and to my friends, safe and sound. For the next 40 minutes, he took complete advantage of my silence and my helplessness. His hands found their way to every part of my body but they chose to stop only at a few. They pulled me closer to him, caressed me and violated me. All I could do was signal him with an ‘OK’.

The nightmare was finally over. We got back to the surface and I frantically looked around for the boat. It was a tiny object at a distance, easily 10 minutes away from us. I released my hand from his tight grasp and swam towards the boat. He swam along without suspecting anything and we reached the boat. As I neared the boat, one of the other diving instructors in the water questioned, “Madam, aapne itna time kyon liya? Baaki sab ka toh bees-pachhis minute mein ho gaya” (Why did you take so much time? Others took only 20-25 minutes). For a moment, my face turned to stone and I felt the numbness creep in once again. He kept me down there much longer than he was supposed to. All the emotions of fear and pain turned into disgust and anger. Despite all of this, I knew I had to muster the courage to get onto the boat and think of how to tackle this situation in the best possible way. I didn’t want him to get away.

Once I got myself onto the boat, the hurricane in my mind subsided. The smiling faces of my friends were all around me and I knew that I was out of danger. I sat there in the blazing sun trying to get the shivers from the experience out of my system when the boat man shouted, “Koi first aid kit leke aao” (Somebody get first aid) and ran towards me. My left hand and leg were covered in cuts and bruises. It had been long since I saw that much blood.

We got off the boat. I gathered all the diving instructors, the monster and all my friends saying that I had something important I wanted to talk about. I began by asking each of the instructors to describe how they hold their trainees when underwater. Each of them responded saying that they are taught to guide their trainees either by holding their oxygen tanks or their hands. In extreme circumstances, they would hold both hands or legs of the trainee. I confirmed the same with my friends who said that their respective trainers held either their tanks or their hands and that there was no other form of body contact maintained. None of them faced any issues underwater.

I turned to my instructor, in front of his crew and in front of my friends and asked him why he did what he did to me. I asked him why he touched me and held me inappropriately, I asked him why my dive lasted longer than the others and why I was taken farther away from the boat than anyone else. I asked him again, why he groped me underwater. He trembled, fumbled and said a few words that sounded like ‘sorry’, ‘by mistake’ and ‘loose equipment’.

By this time my friends lost their cool and began questioning him too. His vague responses were creating all the more agitation amongst everyone and they began shouting at him. I asked him to admit to his act and tell me that it wasn’t just a mistake but an intentional act of molestation. He did so without any hesitation.

I also have the video where Mr. Dhiraj Singh (name changed) a 46-year-old SCUBA diving instructor at Dreamz Diving, Murudeshwar, confessed that he took undue advantage of me during the dive. The location of the dive was Shiroor beach, the dive was dated 26/01/2015, somewhere around 1.30PM.

There are monsters, yes, but there are angels too. Angels who give you strength, who promise you that things will be okay, who stand by youand who support you every step of the way. My angels were my friends, my parents, my uncle and my friend’s parents. They were the pillows that comforted me and the pillars that stood by me. Without the blink of an eye, they spent day and night in working towards getting that monster the punishment he deserves. They were the sole reason I could pull out of this horrid situation.We did 2 things after going through this ordeal.

The first was to lodge an FIR against Mr. Dhiraj Singh on the grounds of Sexual Molestation under IPC 1860, section 354. The case then went to the court where we recorded our statement, soon after which he served a 20 day non-bailable sentence. Sometime during those rounds between the courts and the police stations, we were informed by one of the officers that this was the second such report against him in the last 1.5 months. On doing some research, we found that there were many such unreported cases against the same man for the same crime. It was appalling.

After being released from jail, he resumed his activities at Dreamz Diving as an instructor, while changing his name to Ashok Singh (name changed).

The second thing we did was to file a Quality Management complaint with PADI, the world’s largest diver training and membership organization, and are currently awaiting their response. Mr. Dhiraj Singh is a certified PADI diver and we felt it was necessary for PADI to be aware of the criminal that he is.

Mr. Dhiraj Singh had his hearing in the court on 16th April, 2015. We are awaiting the final hearing date after which if proven guilty, he will serve a term of up to 3 years in prison. 3 years of imprisonment is a very small punishment for a monster who has permanently scarred the lives of so many girls by taking undue advantage of the silence of their screams underwater.

Note: This article was originally published here.

If you also have a story to share, please write to us at info@youthkiawaaz.com.

1. raye

This is so creepy.Never even considered something like this could ever even happen.Thank you for speaking up.You probably saved so many others from a traumatic experience.I hope this monster gets the punishment that he deserves.

2. B

Your second paragraph reeks of misandry, and is hilarious. Monsters do exist, but in the shape of women, and they threaten the safety of men. The only difference is, the media does not talk about it. Why is dowry made to look like a woman’s issue, even though the majority of victims are men? Why don’t domestic violence statistics include verbal and psychological abuse at the hands of wives? Why can women usurp half of men’s properties during divorces and life savings in the name of child support and alimony get away with it? Why do courts give lighter sentences to women for the same crimes committed by men? Why do juries discriminate against men in domestic disputes? Why does an innocent man being lynched in Nagaland not become news? Why do fake cases of rape not make headlines? Why don’t articles and blogs on violence against women mention the fact that the biggest perpetrators of violence are women themselves – mothers-in-law. Why isn’t the fact that a man in India commits suicide every 6 minutes screaming headlines? Why don’t we write about fake cases of dowry by women as veciferously as we do so called women’s issues? Why are life boats reserved for women? Why are men supposed to leave their seats for women? Why do news mention deaths of ‘women and children’? Why are men obliged to earn and women given a choice? Why do women get away with false allegations of domestic abuse? Why are seats reserved for women on public transport? Why are special quotas for women in parliament and business?

1. La la land

I will agree with everything you said but you’re missing the point here. This isn’t an article where the writer blatantly blames the ‘patriarchal society’ or states only the women victimised in a particular event. This is a narration of the writer’s personal experience to warn us that sexual abuse can happen anywhere, anytime. Who would have thought you could get molested at the bottom of the sea?

2. B

Why can women sexually harass men, even those who are underage, and get away with it? Where is the public, media, and feminists, when women go around abusing, harassing, raping, and molesting men, in private and even publicly. On a bus full of passengers, a woman gets on top of a boy, touches, fondles, kisses, and takes his shirt off, and they all watch as silent spectators. How would it have been if the genders were reversed? See link in previous comment.

3. Brijesh

This is not a feminist post… The author just wants to share a gruesome incident which happened to her and wants to create awareness. Your comment is unwarranted and out of place

4. alpha beta

B, how old are you ?

You aren’t wrong but in life, if you are hurt or taken or raped, hope the first person you tell only guides you on how it happens to other people also. you can – what’s the value of life anyway ?

5. mani

B such incident are about individuals and sick mentality. Could happen with a toddler,teenager, man or woman and to suprise even with individual to annage bracket of 80. Anyone who is been abused has right to talk about it. Appreciate, if we do not become racisit and handle any such situation with empathy. Unfortunately, such cases are 95% reported to be done with women .

6. A

Lol you sound like a misogynist! Your points- though true sometimes- make no sense in this context. She is narrating an incident that has caused her extreme trauma with so much courage. She deserves her justice, irrespective of all your opinions on “monstrous women”.

7. B

So when she calls all men ‘monstrous’ no one raises an eyebrow, but if I call women monstrous for their false accusations of rape, dowry, domestic abuse, molestation, sexual assault, battery, etc, I am a misogynist. Why is she not a misandrist then?

Double standards?

8. anonymous

Since when did she called all men monstrous? She only said monsters exist everywhere in any form.

Read the whole article again or do you need someone else to read it for you?

You must be one of those men who enjoys women being tortured and raped while calling justice against women who rape or take advantage of boys.

9. zed

No offence but I guess u r not old enuf to get the jist of the article .

10. PK

You are one man in help. You want to get someone to help save you from Your wife… But NEVER know the right place or platform to ask for help!
      Get a life!

11. Halaambe

Why is dowry made to look like a woman’s issue, even though the majority of victims are men?
      **How so? I’m not Indian but as a man I am ashamed that a man would charge a woman to look after her.

Why don’t domestic violence statistics include verbal and psychological abuse at the hands of wives?
      **Because most men don’t file complaints. And it is taken less seriously by governments because it is not usually life threatening. Physical violence is and the government has limited resources. So I am guessing all governments will focus on the most vital just like your body focuses on vital organs in case life threatening situations.

Why can women usurp half of men’s properties during divorces and life savings in the name of child support and alimony get away with it?
      **It is not only child support. This usually happens where woman let go of all her opportunities to stay home and take care of the family. What about her opportunitiy cost when she has sacrificed so much?

Why do courts give lighter sentences to women for the same crimes committed by men?
      **They do? Which courts? Which cases? Any evidence?

Why do juries discriminate against men in domestic disputes?
      **Because men are stronger than women. Women are the weaker ones in society and it is the nations responsibility to always take the concerns of the weak as priority.

Why does an innocent man being lynched in Nagaland not become news?
      **How did you hear about it? From the news? If you are upset, why don’t you go out and protest? Do you expect women to do everything?

Why do fake cases of rape not make headlines?
      **They make the headlines more often than real cases of rape , believe me.

Why don’t articles and blogs on violence against women mention the fact that the biggest perpetrators of violence are women themselves – mothers-in-law.
      ** This I agree with. More women should look out for women. But a man should be able to handle the affairs his mother and his wife fairly.

Why isn’t the fact that a man in India commits suicide every 6 minutes screaming headlines?
      ** The reason for this is women? I’d think it is because of loan sharks and other big business. Your complaint should be about them, but then again they control the media too.

Why don’t we write about fake cases of dowry by women as veciferously as we do so called women’s issues?
      ** Why are you so concerned about her dowry? Don’t you love your woman? She’s giving herself up to bear your children you selfish brat!

Why are life boats reserved for women?
      ** Women and children. Not totally reserved though, just given priority. They have a lower chance of survival in the water than men probably. Also, a woman lost is probably a family lost.

Why are men supposed to leave their seats for women?
      ** You don’t have to.

Why do news mention deaths of ‘women and children’?
      ** Because they are supposed to be protected by men according to – men.

Why are men obliged to earn and women given a choice?
      ** Craziest thing I have heard. I bet most woman would be happy to go out and work if you stay home to look after the kids and other household chores.

Why do women get away with false allegations of domestic abuse?
      ** They don’t always.

Why are seats reserved for women on public transport?
      ** Because of being victims of abuse from predatory men. How many times have you heard of a woman groping a man?

Why are special quotas for women in parliament and business?
      ** Again, because they are weak. Women make up 50% of society but how much is represented?

12. B

So you agree that violence against men does not make the limelight. But the way you ended your comment is hilarious. So what happens to a woman is ‘vital’ solely because of their gender, but I guess men are not human beings.

Which newspaper do you read? Which news channels do you watch? The biased and bigoted media always has crimes against women screaming headlines, whereas crimes against men by women are hardly every talked about or shown.

Really? Please provide proof for your baseless claim.

You idiot. I am concerned because according to NCRB Data, there were 2,22,091 arrests related to 498A in 2013 alone, out of which 1,74,620 were men and 47,471 were women – A man is arrested every 3 minutes for dowry – 98% cases are false. From 2005 to 2008, as many as 22,000 men have ended their lives in reverse dowry harassment after allegedly being tormented by their wives. In contrast, dowry harassment has driven 6,800 women to suicide.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/chandigarh/Harassed-over-dowry-men-demand-fair-play/articleshow/5241108.cms

So more than 20 times as many men are harassed for dowry (IPC Section 498A), but the media tries to show women as ‘victims’. LOL.

Is that the best you can come up with to cover up for the blatant sexism against men?

** You don’t have to.

Whether I have to or not is not the issue. Why is it a societal norm? Why don’t women leave their seats for men?

That is a lame excuse. The truth is, equality is only applicable when it works in favor of women.

That is even more pathetic. It is because women want the same advantages as men without working as hard as men.

In the Peshawar school attack, all the victims were boys, but the media hid the gender deliberately, and called it an attack on schoolchildren. This is how low the media will fall to propel women’s victim status. And this is the same everywhere. On Feb 25, 2014, 59 Nigerian school boys were killed by Boko Haram; some were shot, others had their throats slit, while the remaining were burnt alive, but there was so little international coverage, it was almost as though the incident did not take place. Three months later, when Nigerian girls were kidnapped, the Obama administration, media, and feminists suddenly woke up, and there was an uproar and campaigns and what not. Violence against boys is the same as violence against girls, but those 59 innocent boys were not a subject of discussion because they were boys. Now imagine if the same has happened to 59 Nigerian girls. Would we have been so silent? This is the same story with countless incidents in India and abroad.

13. U

Well Said. I don’t find B reverting.
      Hope he got the answers he was looking to write an essay.

14. ItsJustMe

Expalantion – The number of men convicted on false cases of dowry is really really high, so it is a men’s issue too. The reason, the law is gender biased. In normal cases the prosecution have to present evidence to prove someone guilty and it cannot be the words of the opposite party. In dowry cases as in many other (section 377, section 498) a man is assumed to be guilty by default based on the testimony of the opposite party and he is supposed to prove his innocence. It is anti constitutional and sexist. it works both ways. Get that into your tiny little head.
      Answer – So? When she was staying home who was earning? Who was providing rent, food and clothing to this woman, who let go of her “opportunities”. So she will have to pay back all the money he spend to support her as well with interest over the years. How does any of that give her claim on half of the total estate? Again when she marries isn’t that her choice too (at least in the eyes of law) whether she should go to work or stay at home. Now why should the guy pay for choices she made as well as support her when she is staying home? Marriage is team work, it is not about you or me, its about our family. She stayed back home for her children and family until the family fell apart. He earned and worked tirelessly for his family, until it finally fell apart. Both looses in the deal, quite a lot and no law can calculate how much each party lost and put forward a balance settlement
      And the law doesn’t look into whether the woman has actually let go of her career and stayed home to raise the family. It just gives her half the man’s hard earned estate (even ancestral) or man have to pay the alimony demanded by the woman, even if she was working and the man was the one who was staying home. Also it doesn’t consider how long the marriage was. If it was just 2 days or 20 years, the compensation is the half of the estate or the alimony the woman demands. I will tell you how primitive the law is. Tiger Woods got divorced, his wife was a baby sitter by the age of 24, he was a professional golfer well before that age. You know what the divorce settlement was? 250 Million dollars, for 10 years of a baby sitter’s career. At least have some self respect and say that women should earn there own living after divorce, because they can. They do not need support of a man to survive (Isn’t that all women empowerment is about). Tell me why feminists are against this law being amended – Because they are a bunnch of hypocrites who doesn’t understand the actual spirit of equality (or choose to ignore it for selfish reasons). Because this law is actually against the whole idea of equality and woman’s ability to be independent and strong, but they are too afraid to see these privileges being taken away from them
      Rebuttal – Wrong, policies and governments should prioritize weaker sections of the society. The judiciary should never discriminate against anyone because he is from the privileged caste, sex, or class of society. All citizens are equal before law – means rich are not prioritized and poor are not given any privileges either. But women are, nobody knows why, but apparently thats because they have been downtrodden for years (so the judiciary is punishing todays men for their ancestral sin of oppressing women. Isn’t that just true “justice”). By that logic a SC/ST should get lenient sentence compared to people in a general quota.
      Why don’t we write about fake cases of dowry by women as vociferously as we do so called women’s issues?
      Rebuttal – Fake cases of dowry is when there is no demand of dowry and the female files a dowry case anyway, because lets face it, you can definitely teach your husbad a lesson. As I explained earlier it is anti constitutional and sexist. But it is also one of most exploited law in the history of Indian Judiciary. You can check out a ted talk by Deepika Narayan Bharadwaj about the statistics and evils of this law.
      I am pretty sure that you are a misandrist, because of your blind negligence of basic rights of men and the contempt you hold for people talking about it. So I don’t think this will change your mind, but this is just a demonstration that people who talk about men’s rights violation are not complete idiots to not see your misandry. They are also not idiots to not see the legislative and social biases towards men. Just like feminists see the women’s rights violation and social biases towards women (But unlike feminists who ignore mens rights and claim to act for both genders but never speaks up for men, men’s right activists explicitly identifies themselves as the people acting for men’s rights alone)

15. ItsJustMe

I liked this phrase very much. Classic signs of man hate and selfish propaganda. Apparently in a marriage, the lady is giving herself up. What is she donating? her organs? What is she doing which the man don’t in marriage? (Giving birth of course is not biologically feasible for men – anything other than that?). How does it become his children alone, where is the famous mothers love, isn’t that the woman’s children too. Doesn’t men sacrifice in marriage, who are you to just decide females make all the sacrifices. Come on “selfish brat” – you don’t even know that guy. You should seek some psychological help, for your man hate is not cured by shots

16. Si

Life boats aren’t reserved for women, do you base all you facts on blockbuster movies? creep.

17. B

Men were the ones who were victims of slavery and racism, and those being killed in war. Even today, men protect the borders of our country so that we can sleep in peace, and I believe that ‘we’ includes women.

When the Titanic was sinking, it was men who said ” women and children first. Why didn’t women then say that there should be equality and refuse to go first? Men did this knowing they will be dead and could have chosen to leave. On buses, airports, and other public places, why is it that if there is one seat available, it is the woman who is seated by her husband/boyfriend/brother. Why is that that men are asked to be ‘gentlemen’ and leave their seat for women in public places?

Seats are reserved everywhere for women, from the bus to companies in the corporate world and then they cry gender bias. The arts and humanities faculty is filled with women, and then they talk about lack of job opportunities competing with men who have toiled for years for their Ph.D. Women who are good looking are often hired over men who are better qualified.

Men work in the army, men work as construction workers, men work as coal miners, and throughout history men have worked dangerous jobs to feed and support women, often losing their limbs and their lives. If a woman so much as makes coffee for a husband, she is suppressed and oppressed. Women can make coffee in coffee shops for men, they can work as waitresses in restaurants and serve men, they can work as air hostesses in planes and serve men, but it is a heinous crime according to feminists if a woman is asked to serve her husband with a glass of water.

If a woman is asked to cook food she is oppressed, but if a man rots in jail for years in a false rape case, there is not a single article to talk about the issue. If feminism is really about equality, then feminists should be talking about men’s rights in the same proportion that they talk about women’s rights, otherwise there is no equality.

It is a fact that many women prefer to stay at home and become homemakers, because they enjoy the comfort and security of their homes. They get an education but without the intention of working in a professional job. And there are those who don’t want to study at all, who know that they will get married anyway and will have a husband to earn for them. Compare this with a man who knows that he has no option but to get an education and earn, so the statistics of men and women in the workforce are never going to show the reality. Of course, there are going to be more men in the workforce.

Men are not seen as human beings in society, that is why we never talk about the biases that men face on a daily basis, how women usurp half of men’s properties during divorces, how courts give men stricter sentences for the same crimes that women commit, how juries give verdicts against men in domestic disputes, how men give alimony to women, misandry in the media, sexism against men, domestic violence against men, how men are locked up in false cases of rape, dowry, and domestic abuse, etc.

Millions of boys face male genital mutilation. Of course that doesn’t matter, because they are boys. Millions of boys are kidnapped for forced labour, drug peddling, sale of organs, illegal adoption, and begging. There is a silent epidemic against the blood, sweat, and tears of boys who work as labourers, cleaners, servants, in lock factories, as mechanics, in restaurants, as street-vendors, at tea stalls, as electricians, plumbers, carpenters, woodcutters, rickshaw pullers, etc. Many boys’ limbs are chopped off and then they are forced to beg for the rest of their lives.

Almost all inventions and scientific and medical discoveries that we benefit from today are a result of the hard work of men.

I still have not been told why the 59 Nigerian boys who were slaughtered were not a subject of discussion on blogs or in the media. And if a man in India commits suicide every six minutes, then we really should be talking about their plight as well.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/india-saw-135445-suicides-last-year/article4849710.ece

Thank you.

18. B-for-Bodo?

B, did you even pass your English in ssecondary school? Somehow, I think you failed your comprehension eh? Besides, why are you being a dick? Someone’s just telling her story here, and warning girls out there. You can do that too if you ever get raped or molested by a woman, you know? Oh wait. Did something bad happened to you in the past like getting sodomized by a woman related to you, and that is why you became like that? If that is the case, I guess guys, we should try understanding his pain here.

19. S

He actually has an ego and cannot show off his weaker side in a blog (where some “monstrous woman/en” have taken undue advantage of him in some way). And now he is just going mad over a blog where a girl was strong enough to show her bad experience. Actually this poor fellow ‘B’ is actually mad at himself that he is not able to (or would not because of male ego) share his bad experiences or report the crime done to him!
      And he wonders why so many criminal cases go unheard!!

20. C

We live in a world where media dictates what we want to believe….and it wants us to believe that women are always oppressed, molested and harassed.
      It makes for “masala news”. It keeps people hooked.
      A man doing something good for women does not make “breaking news”. I hope you know the “case of the forgotten gender”. well, I am talking about men.

Do you guys even know the scale at which the laws like Sec 354, 376, 498A and 498B are being misused in India? How would you know? the media will never report it.
      B’s point will be lost on you all and he will be ridiculed. That’s the way it is…that’s the way it’ll be in this nation.

21. S

There’s a point what B says, and everyone would agree to it, but please this is the wrong place to make this point if you understand! why don’t he write a fresh new blog to say whatever he wishes to, it will be understood there! But here, when someone is narrating about a mishap and someone else says “This happens to men too”, atleast every logical person will find this reply as a misagony!!

I guess this is B commenting as C here!!

22. reflect

When a person recounts their experience of torture and humiliation, why do you feel the need to silence their voices by trivializing their trauma? There is a reason that men’s experience of harassment is not accounted for. It is because men, I assume like you, would rather keep quiet about such incidents than blemish their manhood by talking about their victimization. And are you so blind to the reality of atrocities against women around you? Please do not take up issue with people who are brave enough to voice their experiences in a society which shames them. Also, I hope you have heard of Men’s Right Activism. You clearly are one of them. Maybe hearing your words reflected in other voices will make you realize the ignorance of your statements. It’s not about gender alone. It’s about humanity.

23. anonymous

You just cart wheeled the whole thing. Dumb ass. No one is cool with people being victimised and torturted. Irregardless of gender and age. Yeah you’re upset about favoritism existed towards women more. Probably because of the stereotyping that has been occured for so long; that men are protector and women are physically weak.

You wanna break that favoritism? Then be the first to break the stereotyping of men and women. Feminist exists in the first place because some place lacked any rights for women as they are constantly abused and deprived of freedom, just some people took advantage of it for their own benefits.

And you looked like someone who still lives in the cave. Try to read more news outside your country will you? Women are being charged and sentenced to jail now if they abuse any underage boys. Raping of men is rare but not unheard of. The assailants will always be held trial fairly. The one that makes it worse are those medias and interested parties that wanna take benefits for their own.

No one is perfect. Truth is more men rapes than women. But two wrongs doesnt make it right. So any abusers/rapists/molestors are the guilty ones here.

If its a 15 year old kid narrating about her experience being abused by her father or her teacher, are you still going to say the exact same thing like you did to this article?

I guess you’re the one that is being double standard here. Oh well. I already know you’re a hypocrite by your ways of aggressively defending your opinions without taking into consideration of what others trying to say.

Bye bye you hypocrite human being 😉

24. S

Though most of your questions a valid, that’s one big issue! but i don’t know why it’s needed here?
      This wasn’t some generalised story for gaining some views and good comments. The girl faced something horrified and blogged it for others’ knowledge, and ofcourse sharing gives some inner peace too!
      But you writing a big comment like this, in response, it seems that you r tryng to say ‘what happened to you happens to men too, so stop cribbing’ !!!
      Please be reasonable and show emotions in the right place!

25. kartik

Really not the time or place to bring this up.

3. Anuradha

This is teribble! And so scary. I just went to this diving school’s FB page and posted this article. I think, this guy Alok is still there and is mentioned as the main person to contact for booking a dive. Please flood their page and links of this article!
    https://www.facebook.com/Dreamzdiving

4. Kavya

This is very disturbing. Sorry you had to go through this sick experience. No amount of apologies by that man can undo the pain it has already inflicted on the mind and psyche, I would be hurt if this happened to me. But you are a strong woman to speak up, take action and even record his apology! I respect your strength, kavya. 🙂

5. Amogha

I went for my scuba dive with the very same diving company where this very man was the chief instructor. Luckily I was teamed with a different instructor for the underwater dive. We were a huge group and not until we got back to our rooms late in the night did we hear that the few girls who went with him complained of being in “uncomfortable” situations. And this was almost 3 years ago. Seems like that this guy has only gone bolder.
    But, I am glad that you were brave enough to take this issue further and do the right thing. Bravo!

6. Suchi

As per their site, “The dive centre was started by Mr. Dhirendra P. S. Rawat, “…. Really have no words.

7. Shilpa

Just one question, “Why hide his name?” Anyone who does things like this, should know that life could be tougher than they thought would be. If at all, they should feel humiliated.

8. Trisha

This is frightening. And to think that a molester gets jailed for just 3 years while someone who eats beef gets jailed for 5. Shows you where the priorities of this nation lie.

9. Malvika Jain

fuck.. horrifying!! 😮 I am happy you brought it up and are telling about it. Silence gives molesters confidence to do such shit.

10. Abdul Rashid

How the man was again employed by the company after he has done this non sense with a no. women candidates

11. Nirmal Karmarkar

3 years is too short a time. We should use the social media very well. As a caution to all, the photographs of this person should be posted over all social media right on the date the punishment is served. The court should be asked to get his certification which should be destroyed in their presence. His photographs, retina, finger prints and other details have to be sent to PADI and related businesses (especially swimming pools where, ti would be a jackpot for people like him) so that he does not get certified again. The court should rule that all licenses of any organization will stand cancelled, from the date of such employment. His family should also get be separated from him.

12. Kajal

We need citizens like you to mae India a better place for women. Proud of u.

13. mani

Horrible! I had been to scuba diving and could imagine how difficult would had been the situation with your life in his hands. But, I am proud to see that you did not give up and has taken all possible steps to ensure such monsters are not let free. Kudos to you and your angels !!

14. nalini

I believe that the real names of molesters/rapists shouldn’t be hidden or changed. Afterall, they aren’t victims. They are the perpetrators.

1. m

Here is his facebook profile . He is the owner of the dive shop that’s why he cannot get fired.
      https://www.facebook.com/surfergoa or search Dhirendra Rawat on facebook.

FYI There are monsters all over the world and they don’t only exist in India.

His website has been taken down!!
      http://www.dreamzdiving.com/

Dhirendra Rawat

15. Sohini

This is horrible …….I would like to thank you for having the guts to write about something this…..I have tried many adventure sports and have relied on the instructors like anything and I have also believed that adventure sports instructors are very honest and responsible people as they are completely in charge of our lives during these sports….but something like this is not only unfortunate but extremely life threatening as well…….I hope u get over this trauma soon and I hope he gets his due as well….but frankly monsters will continue to be monsters n the numbers are increasing

16. Immigrant-not-expat

I am disturbed that he was able to return to Dreamz Diving after that incident. Certainly PADI should be revoking his license? Certainly Dreamz Diving should fire him?

If Dreamz Diving does not fire him, are there ways to hit them where it hurts until they do fire him? For example, in this day and age of online reviews of any company / service provider (e.g., Zomato reviews), can one warn potential future customers that said Monster is in the employ of Dreamz Diving and to proceed with caution?

1. Shantanu

Yes. Three years back our batch of participants too had similar talks, but it was only doubtful incidences. But this is way too much. I think the silence for all these years made him a bigger monster.
      His name is Dhirendra Rawat and he is the owner of the scuba diving company. He has a FB by that name. I wish I could post his photo here.
      Lets spread it online too. That will be more damaging.Way to go girl.

17. MAHMOOD AL BAHRANI .

I’m a diving instructor and have taken many girls as private courses. I have never ever thought of such a thing as an instructor i sincerely apologize on behalf of all instructors out there. As it is our duty to make people enjoy the underwater world and release them from the fright they are in. Moreover, to our students we are not mentors or instructors we are their best friends so, teaching them and being by their side is our duty.

1. SG

People survive because of people like you! Thanks to you

18. Vidhya

Why did you change his name?
    This man needs to be shamed and people should know the monster that he is, so no one else goes through what you have gone through.
    Please give out his name post his picture too.
    Also, like IMMIGRANT-NOT-EXPAT and a few others said, his scuba diving firm should be given the real feed back on social network and elsewhere.

19. Varun

I’m really sorry about what happened to you. As an Indian male I am ashamed the rest of the rest of us for such disgusting behavior. One question though..Why would you change the monster’s name? Dont you want the whole world to know who the culprit is? This is one thing I never understand. When police capture rapist they try to cover their faces. When media writes an article about them they change their names.. No what’s the point? You should put as much information about them as possible so every one knows and shuns them

20. Jerry Thomas

Kavya…extremely sorry about your plight during scuba diving, but equally take my hat off for your courage in bringing such monsters to book.
    Dhiraj or Ashok or whatever his real name is, should NOT be allowed to continue his profession, forget
    continuing his job there itself. How does this organisation do this ? Ethical professionalism is dead,
    and hope all our voices bring justice to Kavya.

21. nithin

First of all thank you for coming out with the article. Most people dont, with the fear of being ridiculed or harassed even more. Being an instructor myself, people like the said instructor should be ashamed of treating their students and clients this way. Even more, instructors are the ones who are supposed to look after the whole group. This mr. Dhiraj singh( name changed)’s instructor license should be cancelled by PADI as well as should serve jail time as per law. Things like these put the whole diving community to shame and the instructors even more. Shame on you Mr dhiraj singh.

22. Anuraag

Why the namr change?? Protect thr culprits identity?
    If it’s a case under hearing, let the world know what is his real identity, so that at least future aspirants wil know about this sick and It will surely help others from not getting to his clutches under water.

Let the diving organisation become famous for such incidents that one day they will think about recruiting people and safety standards.

Whole problem is Silence

Hats off that it went to the court.

23. jes

People of indian ethnicity are well known sex fiends. Rapes are an almost everyday occurance in india and the perpetrators get away with it almost every time.

1. Blogster

Wrong. If they are so, then USA and UK would be much higher in the list.

24. Akshay Bhade

You did a fantastic job, many a times girls are scared and they don’t speak out but you were exactly the opposite! Good job, I would suggest you to mention the name of the Diving Instructor because in case he is not proved guilty and not fired from his job then the public should at least know his name. So nobody else would fall prey to him!

25. Urvashi

I didn’t get why you had bruises and cuts on your left hand and leg..,!!!
    Was he truly molesting you or may be was covering your wounds and blood with his hands.

1. SG

I too did not understand the cuts and bruises…probably he went too far. But if he would have been covering the wound then he would have answered it confidently when he was questioned.
      plus bruises were on hands and legs and not the entire body parts or ladyparts

26. Denzil Linhares

Dear Kavya…
    We are indebted to you for your bravery and courage in coming forward to reporting the incident. For sure the entire diving fraternity from India and beyond are with you to ensure the culprit is dealt with appropriately by the law as well as by PADI and receives exemplary punishment to deter any more incidents of the sort. I salute you on behalf of the diving fraternity and all Indians… may you be blessed forever… Denzil Linhares . PADI Course Director #288308
    Please don’t let a few stupid comments deter you. Thanks again Kavya.

27. Alicia C.

The main issue here is not comparing which gender suffers the most. It is about the courage of one person warning others and sharing their horrible experience with the world. If you think that this person shouldn’t be doing this because she’s a woman, then you’re part of the problem.

28. aditya

He should be taken 100 metres underwater and then left there without any equipment, not even oxygen tanks, no flips/fins. He is too fond of underwater and helpless situations, why not give him one and final taste of helplessnes deep under the water?

29. Feliss

Truly disturbing. Please post photo of the instructor!!!

30. ping

Good job reporting such a criminal!

31. Ron

This is horrifying. Such an act is completely unacceptable and should not go unpunished. While the wait for the court judgement goes on what bothers me more is that the behavior of the diving school. They should fire the guy and spread the word in the diving school community. Why would they reemployed the instructor in spite of numerous such complains. I say hit them hard and by that I don’t mean violence, I say hit their business hard. We can post on their FB page but that will only do so good. I say all those who live in the same area as the diving school, camp outside the school. Talk to every customer walking in and inform them about their practices and the particular instructor. The moment customers will start walking away and they start loosing money they will be forced to fire the guilty diver.

32. Tia Raina

Kavya, I had the same experience with this asswipe, approximately 4 years ago. Thank you for the courage to complain against him. If you need any more people to testify, get in touch.

33. Aslina yasmin

How the hell did they hire him back ???!!!! What is wrong with this world !

34. Maya

Hi Kavya,

Thanks for sharing this article . Looks like there is no safe place for woman.
    It would have been nice if you had shared this devil Dhiraj Singh’s face so that people see him and never hire him as an
    instructor again..

35. nowhere

You should said you are not ok in the first place. Not keep saying ok.

36. Ashly

I am a man, and I am PADI certified advanced diver. In both the ways, I am ashamed, reading this. I am writing to PADI, reporting this issue. I am not sure, what kind of action they would take, but I will record my anger.

I am glad that you spoke and reacted.

37. Digitoxic

Pretty fantastic that you wrote about it. More power to you.

Dhirendra Rawat is his real name, I’ve gathered Serial offender, apparently.
    Happened to read complaints over at Tripadvisor. All the good folks ought to boycott Dreamz Diving.

By the by, this ‘B’ character appears to be a little lost. Yet another case of ranting-at-the-wrong-place-at-the-wrong-time.

38. Ravit Thapar

Hi Kavya,

Please consider this VERY IMPORTANT and not a hoax.

My close friend had encountered the exact same torturous incident by the very same guy named as Dhiraj of Dreamz Diving. Even I tried to take some stern steps against him but couldn’t take it to the level that you have taken to. I seriously and genuinely applaud your courage and bravery.

NOW, URGENT: Please provide me with your email ID or any way of contact or you can mail me on my email id (ravit.thapar@gmail.com). I have some useful information against this ***hole, wherein he has accepted his crime (in writing, on his personal email id). I would like to reach out and help in every possible way and get this moron behind the bars, as I have some unfinished business with him.

Kavya, request you or your relatives/friend to get in touch with me on my mail id as soon as possible, so as to not let this monster get away this time.

Regards,
    Ravit Thapar
    ravit.thapar@gmail.com

By Jeet

By Jeet

By Prince Mukherjee