‘My Gender Is Not Between My Legs’ – The ‘Third Gender’ Speaks Out #MyChoice

Posted on April 15, 2015 in LGBTQ, Society, Taboos

By Sanskriti Pandey:

“My gender is not between my legs. My gender is between my two ears. I’m a human being. Whether you like it, or you don’t. It’s my choice.”

There’s a slim chance that you haven’t come across Deepika Padukone’s recent video that took social media by storm. In the video, she boldly asserts the autonomy of a woman and her right to her choices; but for a large section of our society, this ‘choice‘ acquires a different context altogether. What most of us consider as a given is their primary demand – to be treated as fellow human beings! Social media news platform The Quint joined a one of a kind celebration at Jantar Mantar in the capital this Monday – the first anniversary of the ‘Third Gender‘ recognition status given to transgenders by the SC last year. In this powerful new video, they showcased members of the community assert their choice to love their bodies, to question restrictions, and to make the world face the truth. They have shown that amidst a tumultuous storm of questions over identity, it does indeed boil down to who one chooses to be. Watch the video and drop a comment below telling us what you think of this!

To know more about what I think of this video, follow me on Twitter at @im_sanskriti.