This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Zehra Kazmi. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

I Dream Of DU: Everything You Need To Know About Getting In!

More from Zehra Kazmi

By Zehra Kazmi

So the board results are out finally, and for many students the Delhi University admissions are about to begin. DU admissions are hectic and require a fair bit of running around, so it is better if you arrive at the campus fully prepared. Here are a few things to keep in mind before applying.

delhi university 27.5.15

Calculating Your BFS

Best of Four Subjects or BFS percentage is calculated by adding one language (elective/core/functional), the subject in which admission is sought (if you are switching streams and haven’t studied that subject in senior secondary, 2.5% of your BFS will be deducted), and any two other academic/elective subjects.

Your Document Checklist

1. Your original 12th grade mark sheet and photocopies
2. Your original 10th grade mark sheet and photocopies
3. 10th passing certificate and provisional passing certificate for 12th.
4. Around 12-16 colour passport sized photos (carrying a few extra ones never hurts)
5. Character certificate from the school last attended and photocopies
6. Certificate of having passed Hindi in those cases where students have studied Hindi up to Class VIII
7. Transfer certificate from last attended school.
8. Category certificate for SC/ST/OBC/PwD candidates
9. If you are appearing for the interview at St. Stephen’s, it only makes sense to carry any other certificate of academic, sport, or extra-curricular merit that you have received during your school years.

Just to make sure you have everything, check the DU website for their list of requirements. In case you don’t have your original mark sheet with you, find out the policy of individual colleges regarding provisional mark sheets. It’s a good idea to attend Pre-Admission Counselling or Open Days organized by certain colleges as well as the University if you are in Delhi at the time.

Understanding The Admission Procedure

1. The online admission forms will be made available on the DU website on 28th May, 2015. The last date for submission is 15th June, 2015. Applications for St. Stephen’s College and Jesus and Mary College have to be made separately. Check their respective websites for details. St. Stephen’s has also introduced the additional criteria of holding an entrance test this year, apart from the cut offs and interview.

2. The offline registration will be held from 5th June 2015 to 15th June 2015 in 8 different centres where one can submit the centralised optical mark registration (OMR) forms. The centres are- Atma Ram Sanatan Dharma College, Dyal Singh College, Gargi College, Maharaja Agrasen College, PGDAV College, Rajdhani College, Shyam Lal College, Sri Guru Gobind Singh College.

3. Ensure you are in Delhi on the day the cut offs are declared. The first cut off list will be released on 25th June, 2015. You can check the cut off lists on the websites of respective colleges

4. Eight cut off lists will be released by the University. There is a gap of three days between each list, in the course of which applicants have to complete the formalities and pay the fees to complete their admission. The college administration takes possession of your documents upon your admission for a while. After the first list, successive lists will only reduce the cut off only in case there are any seats left.

5. If you want to shift colleges after the declaration of a new cut off list, you have to first withdraw your admission from the previous institution. This process usually does not take more than a few hours. Once you have withdrawn your admission from the other college and are in possession of your documents, you can go to the college of your choice and gain admission there.DU admission

ECA (Extra Curricular Activities) And Sports Quotas

Candidates applying under the Sports/ECA category must fill the Sports/ECA forms in addition to the general forms. These forms will be available in colleges from 28th May for the Sports category, and from 5th June for the ECA category. The last date for submission of all forms is 15th June at 1 pm.

Check the respective college websites for details regarding ECA quota since the process varies a bit across colleges. However, all ECA students are required to send in a portfolio detailing their extra-curricular achievements and face multiple rounds of interviews. Ghania Siddiqui, a Political Science student from Lady Shri Ram College for Women, describes her experience of the ECA trials as, “The interviews were tough and there was a wide range of students pursuing different interests. LSR expects commitment from us since you required to continue with your ECA throughout your term in the college. I think it’s a great option for students who are inclined towards both academics and extra-curricular activities since both are given equal importance.

Rujuta Bhagwat, Vice President of the Lady Shri Ram College for Women Chapter of the National Sports Organisation (NSO), explains the admission procedure through sports quota, “All candidates are required to send in their applications detailing their sporting achievements in the past three years by 15th June. A centralized fitness test will be conducted by the University, which will be followed by independent college trials. Post the trials, candidates are required to state their course preferences and the students will be allotted their courses taking multiple factors into consideration. A Waiting List is then displayed on the college notice board and students are free to choose their assigned course or consider options at other colleges.

Course Or College?

This is a dilemma that many students face in the run up to admissions. Personally, my advice would be to weigh your options well and dwell on what you want out of these three years of college. If you are thinking of choosing the college over your course, ask yourself if you will indeed be interested in the subject that you have to study for three years. Also, if it’s a choice between two similarly ranked colleges, I would recommend choosing course the course. However, in the end, you are the best judge of your situation.

North Campus Or South Campus?

There is no clear winner in this debate. Ever. I have decided not to take sides but only to inform you of the selling points of each. North Campus is more affordable, and some of the best colleges of the University are located within walking distance of each other there. South Campus is situated in swanky South Delhi and boasts of the coolest hangout spots in the city.

There are few universities in India that offer the same amount of exposure or opportunities as DU. Your time in college shapes you as an individual. Go ahead and make the most of it!

1. arnob

could you give me a fair idea about study-fee and hostel fee for studying in DU . (post graduation )

and one more question is the campus Wi-fi ?

2. Pooja

Hey i don’t want to get admission in any college but want to go into the campus of du. Can u tell me the procedure for that??

3. Aakash Gaddh

Dear Ma’am/ Sir

Thank you for the informative and resourceful article. I was hoping if you could tell me what exactly is to be done in ECA trials in SINGING-LIGHT/FOLK. Do I have to take a track with me or do I have to sing without the track/Instruments.?

More from Zehra Kazmi

By Author Anonymous

By BigChange

By @krantikari_yuva