To Those Who Call Me ‘Hijra’ And Gossip About My Makeup – You Don’t Bother Me

By Divyaroop Ananda:

Today I was going for choir practice (yes, I’m a part of India’s first gay choir group, Rainbow voices). On my way, while I was in an auto rickshaw, another one was driving just next to us. Busy on my phone, I didn’t notice what was happening. When all of a sudden my driver shouted, “Marad hai. Mud mud ke dekhne ki zaroorat nahi. Agey badh.” (He’s a man. No need to turn your heads. Go ahead.)

gay_man_makeupThat caught my attention. I asked him what happened. The driver replied they were thinking there’s a woman sitting and all of them (the other driver and three passengers) were trying to catch up the pace to stare at you. I felt safe because that man defended me, when other men were ogling at me.

Hence, I’m gonna write this post to all the men and women (yes women too), who always turn around their heads to see and gossip about me wearing makeup.

Look at me, laugh at me, gossip about how I look and get disgusted by my presence. I don’t care. For I exist, and just like you have your choice of wearing burkha, salwar, gown, or top and jeans, just like you have choice of wearing shirt and trousers, dhoti or lungi, suit and tie, T-shirt and jeans, vest and shorts, etc.;I have my choice of wearing what I want too.

Giggle behind my back or look at me with the surprise, because there’s nothing more that you can do.

Vacate all the seats when I sit somewhere, go away from me like I’ll spread my “disease to you”. I don’t care as long as I have my seat and you don’t bother me.

Be confused. Call me he or call me she. For that matter, call me ze if you want to, for I am the best of all worlds, or shall I say genders. I just don’t go by any defined gender.

Call me whore, call me slut, call me hijra, call me eunuch, I don’t care. For every word that you think will be derogatory to me, it only gives me strength to live and makes me stronger than ever.

Your hate towards me only reflects your personality and not how weird I am. For everything that exists in this world today, was once something weird for others.

For every hate you sent my way, for every names you called me for who I am, I wish I could rip your heart out and crush it under my six inches heels as you have always tried to make my life hell. But I am much better in taking revenge. I will let you live and let you rot in your skin while you see me live a victorious life.

And to all of you out there who can dare to walk beside me or choose your own path that no one ventured before, and as long as it makes you happy and it doesn’t harm someone else, be assured that you have my support and so of many others who dared to be different. Let not this world tell you that you are not beautiful.

Note: This article was originally published on the author’s personal blog

Image credit: Pia Llama/Divyaroop’s Facebook profile
  1. ankita

Awsome..you r a real ‘human being’.. hats off..i wish if every person of this nation can make a stand for their own choice of living.i heartly wish.. god bless you for ur bright future!????

1. Divya Roop

Thank you. God bless you too 🙂

2. amina

Hey! I am really proud that you stood up to all the people..Your diffrent, your special and your beautiful in all ways..
    Your kinda like my role model now.. you know of your such high spirit..you dont care what people call you you dont care what they think..your soo brave…May God bless you…

1. Divya Roop

Thank you so much ????

3. Shambhavi Saxena

The only look of surprise I have to give is because that eyeliner is flawless. Don’t let anyone take that confidence away from you. You rock that liner and those heels, we got your back 🙂

1. Divya Roop

Yay! 😀

4. Prutha

Hello
    You are awesome! You are what you want to be ,you are brave ,you are honest and you live the way you want to ….much love
    and respect!

1. Divya Roop

Thank you 🙂

5. Akash

I really admire your determination and courage. My well wishes are with you. All the best

1. Divya Roop

Thanks a lot 🙂

6. srijith

You are a real human as you find many human animals in the society. This shows your confidence and the way you look lyf!

Hat’s off! Acceptance & Confidence in you will lead you way to success.

Always indulge in analysis which will create opportunities.

1. Divya Roop

Yes! Thank you ☺

7. Vaibhav

I myself feel low over trivial issues.
    But you stand up to all these incidents in your life with such courage.
    You truly are inspirational. Always be proud of your choices 🙂

1. Divya Roop

Thanks a lot 🙂

8. Aakash

More power to you! 🙂
    Would like to hear your choir group someday. Till then, keep shining.

1. Divya Roop

Here https://youtu.be/Sbvr16KDvnY that’s a mobile website though. And thank you

9. juhi

You are amazing. I loved that “ze” thing in your article. Hats off. 🙂 We are humans, bful and intellect beings, men…women nothing matters.

1. Divya Roop

True that. Hi5!

10. Ankur

Proud of you……..

1. Divya Roop

????☺

11. suhaas shetty

you are such a star!! keep shining..and please keep the articles coming.love it…inspiring courageous and totally from the heart!! much needed…. !!!! shine on……

12. Sridhar Rangayan

Awesome and proud of your stance – always be who you are fearlessly. More power to you.

13. Pankhuri

YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL IN EVERY POSSIBLE WAY. No one can dampen your spark. And no one has right to judge anyone, in any way…. Kudos to you for taking the stand! This is a lesson and hope for many! 🙂
    Standing by you… 🙂

14. Patricia

Loved your post, stay beautiful. 🙂

15. Biswajit

Awsme buddy. I am so very proud of you .the way u deal with such stuffs .. kudos to u. go on buddy. bring the change . U can do it. way to go bro. 🙂

16. Himanshi Joshi

wow, you beautiful and stat always… 🙂

17. UpasanA NayaK..

HeY uh r aweSome.. N uh r beautifuL luV uh Xo..uh r amaZing shinE on…!! GoD bLesS uh alott…^_^ :*

18. UpasanA NayaK..

HeY uh r aweSome…uh r beaUtifuL then aLL gendeRs …Luv uh Xo.. Uh r amaZing shinE on…God bLesS uh aLot ^_^ :*

19. Upasana Nayak

HeY uh r aweSome…uh r beaUtifuL then aLL gendeRs …Luv uh Xo.. Uh r amaZing shinE on…God bLesS uh aLotaLot… ^_^ :*

20. Nalini Moorthy

Hey Divya 🙂 I just wanted to tell you that you ( I wish I could italicize that) are Ah-mazing !!!! Amazing for standing up to everybody you considers you a blemish and amazing for just being who you are and not giving a damn 🙂 God Bless 🙂

21. Manisha Sharma

I want to ask you a few questions, if you don’t mind. This is my mail id: manisharma.1511@gmail.com Hope to see a message from you in my inbox. If by any chance you feel my questions are offensive or messing with your privacy, don’t answer them but this is something i feel i really want to know, being a part of this society. Please don’t take me wrong. And yes ofcourse i am inspired by your story. Thank You 🙂

22. Akash Singh

Jst because of few narrow minded morons of our society don’t feel yourself abandoned there are still some people like auto-rickshaw driver out there….you are special to us gifted by god itself so jst stay strong and the way you are all the understanding youths are with you..GOD BLESS YOU..

23. An Aanand

As long as one does not commit crime, nobody should have any problem with a person who wants to live life the way he/she wants to. Don’t give a shit about haters and narrow minded F*ed up society. BTW That line, crushing heart under six inches heels was hilarious and wearing burkha is not a choice, its an effects of religious stigma.

By Love Matters India

By Sonal Prasad

By Arshya