This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Sanskriti Pandey. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

[Y]Ral: If You Think Rape Is Wrong Due To These Reasons, You Are Part Of The Problem

More from Sanskriti Pandey

By Sanskriti Pandey:

If you are reading this, you most likely agree that rape is wrong. But what if someone told you that you are part of the problem, despite advocating that rape is wrong? In this TEDx talk, one woman examines rape culture in India in terms of why you think rape is wrong.

If you think that rape is a violation of gender norms, in the sense that it happens because of a dearth of those “good” men that can “protect” their women, then you think gender policing is the solution. You are part of the problem. If you think that rape is a violation of gender-based boundaries, in the sense that it happens because some women stay out late, dare to go to isolated places, or wear short clothes, then you think behaviour policing is the solution. You are part of the problem. If you think that rape is a violation of cultural boundaries, in the sense that it occurs due to the advent of western influences that are staining and degrading the sacrosanct Indian ‘culture’, then you think culture policing is the solution. You are part of the problem.

Watch this video as Shreena Thakore, of No Country For Women fame, peels the layers off this acute social issue and tells you exactly how and why gender, behaviour, and cultural policing are in fact, as potential solutions, catalytic to rape in India.

To know more about what I think of this video, follow me on Twitter at @im_sanskriti.

1. Akshita Prasad

And what about men raping?

2. Akshita Prasad

And what is it that you seek? Women being raped is an issue and so is men being raped , but the Indian society blames women if they are raped, on the other hand men are not blamed for being raped.
      A women’s clothes, the time of the day or any other factor doesn’t ever justify rape. The intention of raping someone or violating their body is entirely wrong, whether its against men or women, and is never the victim’s fault.
      And all your comments are anti women. You cannot blame women for wearing what they desire, and why only women? You cannot accuse any human being irrespective of the gender for wearing what they desire.
      So ultimately, rapes are caused because some people for some deranged reason don’t see the need to respect the bodies of fellow human beings. And B , you need to start respecting other people’s opinions. You have your own opinion about things, but that doesn’t make other people’s opinions wrong.
      Maybe you think women should dress in a certain way, and shouldn’t go out after a certain time, but if an individual chooses to do so you cannot blame them.
      And Rape committed against men or women by men or women, will always remain a crime and a heinous one. But never is it the victim’s fault, and stop finding reasons to blame the victim for it.

3. B

There is NO justification for rape. Rape is WRONG. However, as a man, if I go out in the middle on the night without a shirt, and a group of girls stare at me, pass comments, or touch me, I only have myself to blame. I am responsible for my safety. Prevention is better than cure.

Countless men are robbed at knife-point or gun-point at night, and many succumb to fatal injuries, but they don’t go around with banners and slogans of “teach people not to stab or rob.”

Be at home early, be safe. 🙂

4. swati

@B you should watch the video. Then you will know that you are part of the problem.

5. B

Kindly tell us why feminists don’t shed any light on false cases of rape? Read comment below.

http://www.youthkiawaaz.com/2015/05/harassment-in-india/

6. Akshita Prasad

I am not defending women, here. Of course there are false cases of rape, and its completely inhuman to make another person suffer because of your greedy and selfish motives. And such women, do deserve punishment, because nobody should be allowed to ruin another persons life on false grounds.
      And this is what i am trying to convey, you being a man go out shirtless in the middle of the night, but those girls who harassed you are to be blamed, hey had no right to do so. Its your body, and they cannot violate it, in the first place they shouldn’t have the intention to violate it.
      And i agree. innumerable people are mugged, but that again should stop. Just like rape, this too is a violation of a human being.

More from Sanskriti Pandey

By Shabeena Anjum

By Martha Farrell Foundation

By Samaira Guleria