Revisiting The Emergency: 19 Pictures To Take You Back To The ‘Darkest Phase Of Independent India’

Posted on June 25, 2015 in Politics, Specials

By Akhil Kumar:

On the occasion of the 40th anniversary of the Emergency today, a twitter account called ‘indianhistorypics‘ has been tweeting rare pictures from the Emergency era which give us a glimpse into what has been called ‘the darkest phase of independent India‘. We have read a lot of personal narratives from that time, from what it was like to live in an era when all democratic institutions were subverted and civil liberties taken away, to how despite the press being heavily censored, some journalists showed remarkable courage and refused to bow down. These pictures are important documents for most of us who can only imagine and paint pictures in our heads based on second hand experiences.

To know more about what I think of this story, follow me on Twitter at @Akhil1490