This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Love Matters India. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Feminist Porn: What Sex Is Really Like For Women

More from Love Matters India

By Sarah Moses:

Porn that makes you feel good about your body and empowers you? That’s what feminist pornography is all about, says Canadian porn expert Olga Marques. It aims to show women’s real sexual desires, fantasies, and experiences – from romantic to kinky.

Women’s pleasure is obviously not what most mainstream porn is about. It’s pretty clear that your typical video is made by men for men – something which has been backed up by research.

There are degrading scenes, like when a man ejaculates in a woman’s face. And it’s often not clear if the female performers are comfortable doing what they’re doing, let alone enjoying it. Chances are good that the woman you see moaning with pleasure is faking her orgasm, whereas there’s no doubt as to whether the male performer is enjoying the experience. After all, he’s got to stay hard and come up with that ‘money shot‘ at the end.

girl using computer

Everybody’s Sexy

Feminist porn approaches things from a different perspective, Canadian researcher Olga Marques told Love Matters.

The central message of feminist pornography is that everybody and every body is desirable and capable of being desired,” Marques explained. “In this aspect, feminist pornographers seek to empower both the performers as well as the viewers.

It’s also ethical. Performers are paid fair salaries and they’re treated well on set. If you’re watching a feminist porn video, you can be sure that the actors have chosen to be there and are willing to perform all of the sexual acts you see on screen. That’s an idea that can make the scenes sizzle for both female and male viewers.

Every Kind Of Sex Act

But what kind of sex do women actually watch? Romantic storylines and soft focus embraces? That’s not at all what Marques’ found in her research into the kinds of sexually explicit material women use for their sexual pleasure. If you think feminist porn is all cheesy romantic scenes, you’re mistaken.

Feminist porn is sex positive,” Marques says. “Whatever you can find in mainstream pornography, can be found in feminist pornography… from the tender lovemaking all the way to domination style BDSM, and everything in between.” The difference, she explains, “Lies not in the acts, but the underlying philosophy.

Every Kind Of Body

There’s also the topic of body type. In most soft-core porn videos and men’s magazines, the women look the same – they’re thin, and have large breasts, long hair, and fake nails. And there’s the media, advertising, and fashion magazines, where women are photoshopped into the stereotypical ‘perfect‘ female body.

In feminist porn, you’ll be sure to see performers with different body types, racial and ethnic backgrounds, physical abilities, sexual expressions, and/or gender identities.

In fact, seeing different body types as being sexually desirable is one of the positive things the women in Marques’ own research get out of watching porn. These women watched mainstream hard-core videos (most of them didn’t know where to find feminist porn), where it’s uncommon to see female performers with a variety of shapes and sizes. Many of the women Marques interviewed said that the videos made them feel good about themselves and felt that it validated their body types.

Where To Find Feminist Porn

For more info on feminist porn, check out the following sites:

CrashPadSeries.com
LustCinema.com
BrightDesire.com
QueerPorn.tv

Marques also recommends these educational feminist porn series:

Tristan Taormino – Vivid-Ed movies
Nina Hartley – Adam and Eve guides
Carol Queen – Good Releasing series

This article was originally published here on Love Matters.

1. B

Feminists promote inadequate clothing, transient sexual relationships, promiscuity, tear the moral fabric of society, and now they are promoting porn.

1. Akshita Prasad

Why don’t you ever see what an article is trying to convey?
      1.Feminists don’t promote inadequate clothing, they promote the choice to wear what one desires. And this is entirely based on the individual.
      2. Feminists don’t promote transient sexual relationships. They just want of women to step out of a relationship if they aren’t comfortable with it, and the same goes for men.
      3.Tear the moral fabric of society? How?
      And they aren’t promoting porn. People watch porn anyway, and usually in these videos women are merely shown as sex objects, and this is exactly what the feminists are against. Feminists aren’t encouraging people to watch porn, they are merely trying to tell people women are more than sex objects.
      And anyhow, whats wrong with men or women watching porn? They have sexual desires, and how can that in anyway be bad?
      Also, u seem to be against feminists. Whatever they do, you criticize. I do agree some feminists ideologies actually discriminate men, and they shouldn’t be promoted. Some some feminists ideas genuinely promote women’s rights without sabotaging the rights of men.

2. B

Women can look absolutely gorgeous in a beautiful shalwar kameez, but you must wear whatever you please, in other words, miniskirts, short shorts, backless dresses, tight jeans, low neck tops, spandex pants, etc. Men only have to bother with shirts and trousers but there are innumerable clothes, designs, colours, accessories, etc, for women, and women’s fashion is always changing – ever wondered why? It is a marketing gimmick – to sell. Fashion, beauty, and diet industries thrive on women’s constant urge to shop – hence the term shopaholic. Furthermore, women have to have an abundance of clothes, a dozen sandals, manicures, pedicures, constant visits to hair saloons, gyms, spa, dieting, anorexia, and it has even reached a point of cosmetic surgery for girls who are absolutely in no need of it – spending billions in the process and falling prey to feminist theories. Women today are so used to visual images of scantily dressed women that they don’t even feel it anymore. Of course, you can sell women anything, from lies about liberation to Torches of Freedom, and they will buy it. Women have been told by feminists, repeatedly, that by dressing sexy, they will be seen as progressive, intellectual, and liberated, and these notions are repeatedly emphasized in blogs, movies, music videos, magazines, and advertisements.

3. Akshita Prasad

No one is compelling or criticizing a women how is wearing a salwar-kameez, if she chooses to swear a chudidaar or sari its absolutely her wish, and nobody will insist her to do otherwise. And feminist theories don’t urge women to go out and get cosmetic surgery, in fact they urge women to accept the way they are and embrace their bodies.
      And what is it about feeding women lies? Women, just like men can think. And they buy, not because someone advertises a product, but because they feel they could use it to benefit them, and the same goes for notions and ideas of freedom. Women are not the only one’s who should be free, human beings irrespective of their gender should be free to choose.

4. B

“And anyhow, whats wrong with men or women watching porn? They have sexual desires, and how can that in anyway be bad?”

Having sexual desire and watching porn are two different things. If someone has the desire for money, should they go rob a bank? And then justify it with the excuse that others do it too?

“Feminists don’t promote transient sexual relationships. They just want of women to step out of a relationship if they aren’t comfortable with it…”

Haven’t you seen Deepika Padukone’s video? Sex before marriage, after marriage, etc. Also, 90% of divorces are initiated by women! You don’t just walk out of a relationship. Marriage is not a joke. It is hard work, and entails dedication and commitment, which obviously women are a little short on.

5. Sneha

i love water so I must be a fish.
      Comparing two unlikely situations is not a justification.
      Please talk more about commitment, dedication. Perhaps even honour!

6. Akshita Prasad

Of course it entails dedication and commitment. And Deepika Pudkone’s video was promoting women’s right to chose. The video wasn’t asking of women to have sex outside of their marriage. Because no matter a man or woman, this will always be a horrible thing to do to your partner. And about sex before marriage, well i don’t see anything wrong with it, it’s and individual’s choice, and will always remain so.
      And when a relationship isn’t on the right course, and is stressing a person out it’s best people walk out of it, irrespective og their gender.

7. B

“And about sex before marriage, well i don’t see anything wrong with it, it’s and individual’s choice, and will always remain so.”

Negative choices comes with consequences. How about teen pregnancies, AIDS, abortions, STIs, paternity fraud, etc.

8. B

“And when a relationship isn’t on the right course, and is stressing a person out it’s best people walk out of it, irrespective og their gender.”

No ma’am. Women walk about of marriages due to boredom.

9. Akshita Prasad

Boredom? That is preposterous now. How many women do you personally know who walked out of their marriage because they were “BORED” of it?
      And , one more thing. Its fine to be critical, but being overly critical of one gender just makes you a narrow minded person, and once again IRRESPECTIVE OF THE GENDER.

10. B

You only need to click on the link in my previous comment.

2. Jigsaw

There is only one direction to go when you choose to look at porn and that is in the downward spiral. You can only stay at the same level of viewing so long before your body is no longer satisfied and needs something more harsh or graphic to be satisfied. Over time a woman needs “stronger” porn to get the same arousal. It’s very much like a drug addict needing more of a drug to get a high, and the same brain process is responsible for both addictions. The need to escalate eventually results in the woman needing to view horrible things like bestiality, or the same kind of porn must be consumed in larger and larger quantities.

1. katie

only women? men not at all?
      as a female watching porn regularly, I can tell you that you are wrong. do you think that real sex is giving people (male or female) the same arousal each time? I know many couples where they are looking for another and another experiments to do in their bed because they are not getting anything out of regular sex.

please accept that, your point of view is not the only or right only. people are sexual, and it no depend on their culture religion or nationality; all people need sex. with somebody, with themselves
      their own private choice.

3. Batman

Porn is a filth that has gripped society and hooked many youngsters on masturbation.

According to Dr. Dio Louis, conservation of semen is “essential to the strength of body, vigor of mind, and keenness of intellect”.

Dr. E. P. Miller affirms that voluntary or involuntary loss of seminal fluids leads to a waste of a lot of energy.

Philosopher Nietzsche affirmed that “semen is the substance able to give life to a human being, its composition contains the largest amount of nutrients, vitamins, and essential compounds that the body uses on a daily basis.”

It takes blood to make semen so people who masturbate frequently can become anemic. You get anemia when you don’t have enough red blood cells. This makes it difficult for your blood to carry oxygen, causing unusual tiredness and other symptoms.

4. Batman

Due to the blessing of porn, my wife wants me to go on for hours continuously, abuses me if I am unable to try all kinds of positions she watches in porn videos.

A former Playboy bunny, Brenda MacKillop states, “My first association with Playboy began in childhood when I found Playboy as well as other pornographic magazines hidden around the house. … This gave me a distorted image of sexuality. … I never questioned the morality of becoming a Playboy bunny because the magazine was accepted into the home.” Brenda continues, “Playboy is more than a pornographic magazine with pictures of naked women. It is a philosophy that enticed me to throw aside my ethic of no premarital sex and no adultery and to practice recreational sex with no commitments”

5. Mysterious

Blah blah blah you are biased. Female watch porn , couples watch porn while they understand it’s not totally natural they want to try out a few things. Females enjoy male-dominated porn videos too not everyone is vanilla. Sex is a part of real life but who I am in bed can be very different of who I am outside of it.

More from Love Matters India

By Maitri Dore

By Ankur Society for Alternatives in Education