This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Sanskriti Pandey. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

[Y]ral: “My Hijab Has Nothing To Do With Oppression. It’s A Feminist Statement”

More from Sanskriti Pandey

By Sanskriti Pandey:

Clothing has always been one of the most passionately debated topics in context of women’s freedom of choice. Consider a simple yet probably the most controversial items of clothing – the hijab. It has long been a subject of political discourse, but still never fails to kick up a storm in the debate around women’s liberation.

The hijab, many believe, is the epitome of oppression. But not many consider the obvious – Muslim women can think and choose for themselves. Not many are ready to even entertain the idea that the hijab might in fact be something that rejects the ideas that reduce women to commodity. Is hijab a talking point because “it resists the commercial imperatives that support consumer culture“? In this video, a woman explains how liberation lies in the choice. “By assuming that all veiled women are oppressed, we belittle the choice of those who want to wear it,” she says. Does the idea of the hijab as a symbol of oppression contradict the very feminist values it often tries to defend? Watch this video and tell us what you think.

To know more about what I think of this video, follow me on Twitter at @im_sanskriti.

1. ItsJustMe

Not completely true. It is a choice for them in European countries (I hope) and countries like USA, India etc. However it is not so in most countries in the middle east including Iran, Saudi Arabia etc. In Saudi no woman is allowed to leave their house without a burkha. They should always be accompanied by a male, either their husband or father. They will be detained otherwise and will b able to leave only if the husband or father pays the fine. Please do some research before you publish such pieces. There are many women out there who want to break free, but cannot because of real threat of being stoned to death or worse

1. B

ItsJustMe: Instead of reiterating the foolish propaganda of the western media, please travel and meet up with Muslim women who wear the headscarf, and you will be surprised to know that not only do they choose to wear it, but many have had to fight with their families for their right to wear the headscarf. As far as choice is concerned, do you really think that a girl having to wear a miniskirt and a skimpy top to ‘fit in’ is a choice? Look at girls today tugging at their skirts to cover a bit more and constantly pulling their tops to hide their cleavage. That is oppression created by the fashion, beauty, and diet industries. Look at girls today suffering from anorexia, depression, poor self-esteem, body image issues, while perfectly normal girls even line up for plastic surgery. Beauty, diet, and fashion industries have benefitted from a marketing gimmick, and earned billions of dollars after bombarding girls with images of semi-nude women in advertisements, movies, music videos, TV, magazines, billboards, etc.

2. Avinesh Saini

Fashion Industry is really oppressive.

2. Abhay

It is so naive to say not all women are oppressed, but some have their own choice. Even a 5 year old can say those lines.
    Coming to the point, when the same woman believes, it is oppression for SOME( no idea who is that some), it is so insensitive that she, rather than addressing to the problem of those SOME, tries to justify hijab with some stupid arguements.
    I ask any lady, who wears hijab, and bileves, that it is her choice, would she wear the same, if she was born in a Christian family in the USA, or a Hindu family in India?
    This is cultural and regional imposition, and justifying it with such stupid arguement is as stupid as stupidity.

1. B

Where is choice when women are told that in order to be modern and progressive, they must dress in a certain way? This is a form of manipulation that takes away women’s choice so cunningly that women don’t even realize it. It seems as though women who dress in miniskirts, skimpy tops, tight jeans, cleavage revealing dresses, short shorts, tight pants, backless dresses, spandex pants, leggings, sarees with skimpy blouses, transparent clothing, etc are educated and liberated, right? It is people with your mentality that have degraded women to the level of a commercial product put on display.

3. Amy Thompson

Wearing the hijab tends to say one of two things. “I’m forced to wear a symbol of a religion founded by a pedophile who raped a 9 year old girl.” Or “I chose to wear a symbol of a religion founded by a pedophile who raped a 9 year old girl.”

1. B

Now we all know what your religion teaches you.

2. MajorBS

@Amy I adore you for saying it like what it is. That is exactly what it is. I mean its so unbelievable these people go to the extend of killing for someone like that. These people should be ashamed of themselves, but instead they say they are proud of being a muslim. I am like – what exactly did you do to be muslim?Did you save someone’s life to be so proud. Did you break a world record or something? There is zero contribution to the world by being a muslim or a christian or Hindu or whatever religion for that matter. So there is nothing to be proud of it. It is your actions that should make you proud, not your religion

More from Sanskriti Pandey

By Nishchal Singh Rajput

By Preeti Ojha

By Mister August