[Y]ral: The Modern Indian Marriage Business – Think You Knew All There Is To Know? Think Again!

Posted on June 20, 2015 in Society, Video

By Lamya Ibrahim:

Brokers. Horoscopes. Dowry. If you thought you knew all there is to know about weddings in India, think again. Veering away from carefully-worded ads and constant reminders from eager relatives, the matchmaking process has undergone an extreme makeover in recent times, as seen in these excerpts from ‘Much Ado about knotting’ – a light-hearted and introspective venture by Geetika Narang Abbasi and Anandana Kapur. This film revolves around a man in his late thirties, a girl in her twenties, and an NRI couple as they steer through innumerable criteria, questions, and options. From marriage melas to detailed online applications, from character-confirming detective agencies to orthodontic treatments aimed at fetching the perfect partner, watch this clip to get a taste of the modern twist to matrimony in India.