This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Bhanvi Satija. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

[Y]ral: With Over 100 Beheadings Already This Year, Saudi Arabia Is About To Set A Shameful Record

More from Bhanvi Satija

By Bhanvi Satija:

In Saudi Arabia, it seems, justice is being equated with decapitation. The country is on pace to break its record for the number of people beheaded in a year, as it recently conducted its 100th execution in 2015.

Saudi Arabia is not the only country that gives out death sentences, but what makes it stand apart is the country’s bizarre, age old method of execution – beheading. It is the only country in the world to still use it. A high number of executions take place in other countries too, however, Saudi Arabia’s rate of execution per capita is 30% higher than the US. What’s even more shocking is that almost half of these executions carried out this year were for non-violent crimes.

Watch this video by AJ+ Global News Community, which gives us a deeper insight into what’s happening in Saudi Arabia.

Saudi Arabia Hits Beheading MilestoneSaudi Arabia is on pace to break its record for the number of people beheaded in a year.

Posted by AJ+ on Thursday, 25 June 2015

1. Batman

Not sure what the point of this article is, as the United States uses much more horrendous methods of killing criminals such as electrocution, lethal injection, gas chamber, hanging, firing squad, etc.

1. MajorBS

Batman is out to defend Saudi Arabia, I am assuming he is a muslim, just by that comment and also that he has never been to Saudi Arabia (Actually its not an assumption, it is a fact that only muslims try to defend Saudi and its inhumane idea of justice). Those barbarians used to display beheaded corpse with a note on the crime committed till late 1990s. Now they have limited themselves to public beheading (usually carried out around 9:00 am in a public place within the city). Sometimes the it takes multiple blows of the sword to fully remove the head, as the barbaric citizen watch on and applaud. Also Saudi Government never releases official statistics for executuions, human rights organizations usually report an estimate. However the actual numbers can be quite high. In 2011, an Indonesian maid’s dead body was hung from a helicopter for display. In the same year 13-year-old schoolgirl was sentenced to 90 lashings in front of her classmates as punishment for abusing a teacher. Stoning (Rajm) in Saudi Arabia is often reserved for men and women accused of specifically of adultery. When convicted (and there must be credible witness statements from multiple “men”), the perpetrator will be buried up to their chest or knees in a ditch. Next, a group of people will repeatedly throw stones at the buried person until they are confirmed deceased. This method leaves no single person to blame for the death clearly.
      So clearly USA is using much more barbaric methods to execute its convicts, more interestingly much more public participation in execution as well.
      GTFO Batman

2. Batman

Barbarians are found among the most modern and technologically advanced societies.

https://youtu.be/datvPqLiqnQ

3. MajorBS

Yeah, but its pretty freaking weird for a whole country to base its laws on Barbaric fetishes. If this is what they do to people publicly, do I need to tell you how much worse their prison torture is gonna be. Solitary confinement my foot. Oh and why are we on the topicof USA’s prison torture when we are talking about public torture and brutal beheadings, stoning in Saudi Arabia? Does it mean it is ok to do all these things because USA is torturing its POWs? At least in USA they have to hide what they are doing from the public. In Saudi people would gladly support this blood thirst and gory. They are stuck with the medieval mindset and laws.

4. MajorBS

Where else in this world is it legal to publicly lash a 13 year old girl in front of her classmates?
      Where else is it legal to carry out public beheadings and display the corpse like a trophy?
      Where else is it legal to include civilians in an execution whereby they stone a human being until he dies in the pit?

Are you even human to think that this even compares to what is being done behind closed doors and prison cells in USA, against the law of that land by a group of saddistic freaks?

The law reflects the attitude of the society, crimes reflects the attitude of criminals.

What is happening in USA is a crime and the people responsible have been brought to justice and punished in multiple occasions

Who can question these public display of brutality and barbarism in Saudi Arabia? Which law will punish them? It is not a crime there.
      It is completely legal. So lets focus on them and think about the morals of that society. It comes as no surprise to me that people who have been witnessing these brutalities on a regular basis will not think twice before stoning another human to death or watching another beheading and appauding every strike to the neck or lashing another young girl in public till she passes out. It is normal for them. Hence it is a worry for the world as to what kind of human beings will emerge out of this society and what twisted sense of justice they have.

5. B

How the United States has been torturing innocent civilians locked up in prisons of Abu Ghraib, Bagram, Guantanamo and countless illegal black sites all over the world hidden from the public.

Below is a report of what went on in Afghanistan’s Bagram prison, sanctioned by the U.S. government.

Torture was experienced in the form of prolonged and severe beating with cables, pipes, hoses or wooden sticks (including on the soles of the feet), punching, hitting and kicking all over the body including jumping on the detainee’s body, twisting of genitals including with a wrench – like device, and threats of execution and/or sexual assault. Other forms reported were suspension, electric shock, stress positions, forced prolonged standing including in extremely hot or cold conditions, forced standing and sitting down or squatting repeatedly, forced drinking of excessive amounts of water and denial of food, water and prayer time. Several incidents of removal of finger and toenails and stuffing cloth or plastic bags in a detainee’s mouth, holding his nose and choking him causing the detainee to start to asphyxiate and also lose consciousness described as “water-boarding without the water” were reported. Detainees interviewed reported that different forms of torture were often used on them with increasing levels of pain particularly when they refused to confess to the crime they were accused of or failed to provide or confirm the requested or suggested information. Most detainees reported that torture stopped once they made a forced confession including sometimes in front of a video camera or when they thumb printed a paper that documented a confession.

6. MajorBS

Hey B, nice to see you going under in one thread and poking your head up in another. Again talking about the US torturing of prisoners completely out of context. I think you and Batman are the same person. I don’t know for sure though.
      Since when is public beheading and public acts of violence towards a the criminal the same thing as torturing people illegally away from the eyes of the public? If you have anything in support of such laws in Saudi Arabia please elaborate and justify your stand. If you are against Saudi Arabia’s policy of public beheading please go ahead and speak your mind about that too.
      But if you are here to talk about America, please start a blog instead or write an article in YKA itself and I am sure there will be many people interested in your article. However this article again is not about America and how it treats its prisoners. Its about a barbaric culture, executing people like its some performance arts, involving public in execution, and doing it completely legally in the 21st century.

7. B

Since when did beheading for gruesome crimes like murder and rape become worse than the United States torturing innocent prisoners, beating them, urinating on them, forcing their face in a bucket of feces, having them bitten by dogs, sodomizing them, forcing them to hold painful positions for hours, depriving them of sleep, whipping them with cables, depriving them of food and water, electrocuting them, humiliating them, abusing, beating, punching, kicking, having them wear headphones with blaring music for hours, twisting their genitals, and a number of horrendous torture techniques.

8. MajorBS

Oh right, did you forget to put your opinion on Saudi Arabia engaging in public display of execution and involving public in carrying out a sentence and their medieval system of justice (which if you are still too retarded to understand IS WHAT THIS ARTICLE IS ABOUT) or are you conveniently avoiding it because you think it is right to do so? Especially since it is as per sharia law, you would love to see someone’s head being cut off every morning before you go to work right? As Allah has his rules which should be followed everywhere. Would you like India to adapt stoning ritual so popular in Saudi Arabia? I would love to hear your opinion on that. Will you watch with goosebumps and extreme devotion as Allah’s will is being done by stoning the criminal to death, or would you prefer participating? You are just a hypocrite B.

9. B

Why would I see it going to work, or anywhere for that matter, when they only take place in solitude, and no one is forced to watch. A handful of people watch it, and the only reason it takes place publicly because it acts as a deterrent to crime. Perhaps there is a reason Saudi Arabia’s crime rate is much lower than the United States. You and the author, both are either too immature or deliberately playing into the hands of the U.S. media which is busy pointing fingers at others but fails to look into its own backyard. Watch the above posted video and see the inhumane and gruesome manner in which the United States treats its own criminals. Not to mention the horrific methods of killing them using nitrogen gas, gun shots, electric chairs, hanging, etc. You have any idea how painful these methods are?

10. MajorBS

@B it looks like you choose to ignore certain facts about these things that happened in prisons in USA. Firstly it was illegal, secondly human rights watch and UN have investigated the matter reported that it is taking place following which people responsible have been brought to justice.
      But of course that will never catch your eye. Now you will claim that it is still happening although you have zero proof
      What do you know about prisons of Saudi Arabia, a place which has never opened doors any organizations. A country which repeatedly warned UN and global human rights organizations to stay out of its business. A place which doesn’t allow practice of other religion, right to attorney or a fair trial. A place which has written laws about exactly how you should include public in stoning. Not in a far off place, but executions are supposed to take place in a public place within the city. You can find tons of graphic videos on how many people watch executions in Saudi or stoning for that matter
      You will probably enjoy these considering how much of an ardent fan you are of these medieval punishments. Why don’t you move over to Saudi if you like it so much? Oh and put your women in a bee keepers suit before you do

11. MajorBS

You calling it manipulation is you subscribing to a conspiracy theory that may or may not be true. Nevertheless there are countless who doesn’t subscribe to glam and sham. They dress normally as per their comfort. There are other women who feel comfortable or ready to be uncomfortable wearing the miniskirt or whatever they choose to. Having the government tell you what you should feel comfortable in is called enforcement. Which by the way is what we were talking about. I am sure not every women feel comfortable or do it by choice, but you don’t have a problem with that. You only have problems with the girls wearing miniskirts and modern attire. Because you are a Muslim, and you are manipulated by your religion to think that way.

12. B

In Saudi Arabia, rape, molestation, and harassment of women is the lowest in the world. Furthermore, from banks to shopping malls to coffee shops to mosques, all have separate areas, spaces, and floors for women. The government spends the majority of its unemployment benefits on women. Shops selling female attire ban men from entering those shops unless accompanied by a female relative. Many girls are grateful to be born in the Middle-East, where they can roam freely in a burqa without being harassed and racially abused, where they feel human because they are not compelled to dress semi-nude to ‘fit in’, where no one is going to snatch their headscarf and call them a terrorist. Saudi Arabia does not treat women like meat, unlike their Western counterparts. Semi-nude images of women are not plastered on walls, there is no sale of adult DVDs, no one devises cunning methods to sell provocative clothing in the name of fashion, advertisements don’t feature women in skimpy clothing, girls don’t have body image issues, there is no STD epidemic, drug and alcohol abuse is unheard of, and rape is the lowest in the world. And if Saudi Arabia is so bad, what are countless western expatriates doing there, where there are no taxes, petrol is cheaper than water, excellent salary packages, great food, where even in a modest job your company will provide housing, education for children, free airline tickets, among a host of other benefits which has seen westerners, including women, from all over the U.S. and U.K. leaving their so called freedom and settling in Saudi Arabia. Educated, independent Muslim girls in Europe, U.S., and Canada choose to wear the burqa, and are not forced as the U.S. media would like you to believe. Miniskirts and skimpy clothing are automatically seen as a choice, even though they are enforced through constant images in movies, magazines, music videos, advertisements, billboards, fashion industries, peer pressure, and a need to ‘fit in’, but if a woman wants to cover her body and save herself from lewd stares and wants to reserve her body for the gaze of her husband, it is immediately labelled oppression. Please talk to burqa clad women in India and abroad, and it will give you a broader perspective on the issue, instead of succumbing to theories of oppression invented by the U.S. – an imperialistic nation which kills and maims and thrives on human suffering.

13. MajorBS

Harassment of women is lowest in the world – You have no statistics to support this claim as they have never reported rape statistics. They have not published rape statistics after 1988. Also the 4 witness rule under sharia law and punishment in case of failing to prove rape case has kept women from reporting. Many reports of minors sometimes as young as 12, have been reported to be married and forced to have sex with their husbands. Since marital rape is not a crime and not minimum age for marrying in Saudi, it is completely legal.
      (Notice that I have included facts and not what I hope to be facts)
      Seggregating men and women is an ideal society for you? Does that mean you can’t keep your emotions in check when you have be in a public place with women? Please move to Saudi, I think we will be a better society with the likes of you out of our country.
      If Saudi Arabia is that bad (no need for “if”, it is bad) what are western expatriates doing there.
      Oil my friend, the only reason people keep going there for work is either their oil which effectively puts real ahead of most currencies in the world. Or you are a reporter. To counter your question, if America is so bad to muslims around the world why are there countless muslims in USA. Not to mention a lot of them are from Saudi. And why are they all so happy living there. If you dont know, America is obsessed with political correctness, and no one will dare discriminate against them in public, or they will face being judged themselves as being racist.
      I know of Burqa clad women in a lot of places including India. Why dont you go and talk to them. Not all of them have a choice or do it by choice. Most of them do it because they were born in the wrong part of the world. Check My Stealthy freedom facebook page and see what these women have to say about Burqa and how females are treated in these countries. (Again notice that I am furnishing evidence to my claim, not simply posting a video of a single lady claiming to represent all women in middle east). And please dont be a hypocrite and tell me it is a choice for women in Saudi to wear burqa or not. It most definitely is not.

14. B

“Oh and put your women in a bee keepers suit before you do.”

Do you really think that a girl having to wear a miniskirt and a skimpy top to ‘fit in’ is a choice? Look at girls today tugging at their skirts to cover a bit more and constantly pulling their tops to hide their cleavage. That is oppression created by the fashion, beauty, and diet industries. Look at girls today suffering from anorexia, depression, poor self-esteem, body image issues, while perfectly normal girls even line up for plastic surgery. Beauty, diet, and fashion industries have benefited from a marketing gimmick, and earned billions of dollars after bombarding girls with images of semi-nude women in advertisements, movies, music videos, TV, magazines, billboards, etc. Where is choice when women are told that in order to be modern and progressive, they must dress in a certain way? This is a form of manipulation that takes away women’s choice so cunningly that women don’t even realize it. Why is it that miniskirts, skimpy tops, tight jeans, cleavage revealing dresses, short shorts, tight pants, backless dresses, spandex pants, leggings, sarees with skimpy blouses, transparent clothing, etc come with tags of liberation? Women today have been degraded women to the level of a commercial product put on display.

15. MajorBS

@B its not the same thing. Girls are not forced to wear miniskirts, they choose to wear it despite knowing how uncomfortable or comfortable it is. You won’t get arrested if you don’t wear it. You wont get arrested for being anorexic or having a bad body. That’s called freedom. You get to choose what you want to be. If you can’t differentiate between that and being forced to wear what the government wants you to wear., I have only contempt towards your retarded self

16. B

Have you ever asked yourself why a girl would wear a miniskirt knowing that she is going to be uncomfortable in it, tugging at it constantly to cover up a bit more? It is because of the tags of liberation and freedom attached to it, because girls need to ‘fit in’, because of negative comments about their bodies if they cover up, because of peer pressure, because they will be ignored if they don’t dress half-naked, and a dozen other reasons. It is NOT a choice. It is MANIPULATION.

17. MajorBS

You calling it manipulation is you subscribing to a conspiracy theory that may or may not be true. Nevertheless there are countless who doesn’t subscribe to glam and sham. They dress normally as per their comfort. There are other women who feel comfortable or ready to be uncomfortable wearing the miniskirt or whatever they choose to. They do not get thrown in jail or beaten up for not wearing a miniskirt. Having the government tell you what you should feel comfortable in is called enforcement. Which by the way is what we were talking about. I am sure not every women feel comfortable or do it by choice as far as hijab rule and burqa is concerned, but you don’t have a problem with that. You only have problems with the girls wearing miniskirts and modern attire. Because you are a Muslim, and you are manipulated by your religion to think that way. Whatever Saudi does is good, it can include public beheading, stoning people to death, imposing dress code for a single sex alone and religious intolerance. Yet you go out your way to find fault in anything western or other countries have been practicing in their society because it is manipulative. You justify use of brute force to enforce things that normally an individual should have a choice about, but you are against manipulation which anyone with some logic will grow out of in time.

2. saif

LOL! before writing about another country please think about your country.
    http://zeenews.india.com/news/videos/top-stories/union-minister-vk-singh-compares-dalits-with-dogs_1813064.html
    Knock knock…just reminding you 1 little occurrence in your country.

More from Bhanvi Satija

By Bidisha Bhatacharya

By Raj Iyre

By Yash Johri