This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Kanika Katyal. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

[Y]ral: ‘What Do You Think Of Abortion?’ – We Asked A Few People, And This Is What They Had To Say

More from Kanika Katyal

By Kanika Katyal:

“Abortion is murder.”
“Only selfish women have an abortion.”
“Abortion is used as birth control.”
“Women who have an abortion regret it later.”

For many people, an image of a distressed, aggrieved, and remorseful woman comes to mind when they hear the word ‘abortion’.

The issue of abortion in India is very stigmatized, thereby limiting an open discourse around it and reinforcing the stigma. Myths and misconceptions, fabricated by culture, dominate people’s perceptions about abortion. These myths further strengthen the regressive patriarchal norms around women’s sexuality, bodily autonomy and integrity and negatively impact their health. CREA’s campaign #AbortTheStigma seeks to provide a platform to raise awareness, enable open conversations around abortion and address the stigma and shame associated with abortion.

Despite all of our claims to progress, have things really changed when it comes to the condition of women? Have we really started having the difficult conversations on gender equality and sexuality? Or do we still cave in to the problematic norms and misconceptions around abortion? Watch this video to find out what young India thinks about abortion.

1. Monica I.

Thank you for this video! As the video illustrates- many don’t know whether it’s legal or not to abort in India. I don’t know the legality situation in my country Bangladesh, and this video encourages me to find out. Thank you!

2. Batman

Abortions are a blessing of the feminist agenda which teaches women to be promiscuous and indulge in premarital and extramarital sex, and then go around aborting fetuses.

1. Opposite of Batman

How are these feminist women getting pregnant all by themselves in the first place? Obviously, they indulge in premarital/extramarital sex without the help of any men who don’t have any responsibility in making these decisions?!

2. Batman

I didn’t say anything about feminist women. I said feminists brainwash young girls into dressing up into next to nothing and behaving in a licentious manner. Read blog posts on this website, watch Deepika’s ‘My Choice’ video, and see what feminists have to say in general.

3. Jonathan Old

What bullshit. In my opinion, abortion is neither feminist nor progressive. It is a cruel practise, only one step before murder.
    What to do about it? Well, it is rational to spread contraceptives and to promote sexual education, cncerning contraceptive methods. Furthermore, I’d say abortion is less stigmatized in India than in other countries, if you just take a look at abortion statistics in India.
    I personally would acknowledge it if YKA-authors would use the words “stigma” and “feminism” less and, instead, focus on the content.

4. Jigsaw

Fuck a dude, regret it the next morning, accuse him of rape, then abort.

5. Deepti

Not one person said that abortion is a ‘choice’.

6. Anon

Abortion is a choice! There’s a woeful link between ‘not talking about it’ to blatantly condemning it as ‘cruel’ and ‘inhuman’.

We’re lucky that we have the option to legally abort in India (though maybe difficult, considering how difficult it is to get proper gynec care if you’re young and sexually active) unlike so many countries where it is illegal. sigh.

7. Pranjal

Thank you YKA, for teaching me that the Indian youth are really smart. The same girl who says “people need awareness” from her elite english speaking privilege doesn’t even know that abortion is legal in India. Same for all the other geniuses.

8. Pranjal

The Indian youth are really smart. The same girl who says “people need awareness” from her elite english speaking privilege doesn’t even know that abortion is legal in India. Same for all the other geniuses.

More from Kanika Katyal

By Kirrat Sachdeva

By CREA

By CREA