A Muslim And Visually Impaired, This English Prof Has A Sad Tale To Tell About Delhi

Posted on July 24, 2015 in Video

By Asmita Sarkar:

Dr. Reem Shamsudeen, an assistant professor in one of Delhi University’s college’s, was denied accommodation in Delhi because of her religion. A partially blind woman who recently moved to Delhi after finishing her PhD Degree in English from English & Foreign Languages University, Hyderabad.

The landlord refused to give her the keys to the room after she had paid the security and arrived with her mother and luggage to move in. The landlord claimed that she can’t rent the room to a Muslim.

Dr. Reem’s video message to Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal brings to light the discrimination people from outside Delhi face when looking for accommodation in the so called cosmopolitan city. A purely social media driven effort; her attempt to reach the CM has worked as she received intimation from the CM office on Thursday, 23rd July, night. According to a source close to Dr. Reem Shamsudeen, the CM office inquired about her well-being and safety and has promised to look into the issue.