[Y]ral: Armed With The Quran And The Constitution, These Women Are Fighting Fundamentalism

Posted on July 9, 2015 in Society, Video

By Akhil Kumar:

Noorjehan Safia Niaz (43) and Zakia Soman (50) co-founded the Bharatiya Muslim Mahila Andolan (BMMA) in 2007. The group, which now has 35,000 members across 11 states, has been fighting against androcentric interpretations of Islamic texts. They are using a unique combination to drive change: the Quran and the Constitution. “The group is fighting to end polygamy and the practice of triple-talaq. They also run vocational training workshops so that young women can become economically independent, which is one way to build confidence. Apart from creating leadership skills, they have also enabled micro-credit programmes,” reports Aastha Tyagi for Catch News. If you want to know more about Noorjehan and Zakia, read this detailed report.

In this video, 5 members of BMMA narrate their personal experiences and day to day struggles of the group. Watch and tell us what you think!

To know more about what I think of this story, follow me on Twitter at @Akhil1490