This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Shruti Sonal. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

“Remain Quiet And You Will Be Spared, Speak Up And You Will Be Hanged”

More from Shruti Sonal

By Shruti Sonal:

The news channels are at their jingoistic best, showing footage of people chanting outside the Nagpur jail. Those who had questioned the decision on social media have been trolled, abused and silenced. India has successfully shown that it is no longer “soft on terror“. Yakub Memon, the lone death row convict in the 1993 Mumbai blasts has been hanged after 22 years of the incident.

Image source: youtube.com
Image source: youtube.com

What was it about this case that divided public opinion, although not equally? What was it about this case that made people tweet, even if they were in minority, against the hanging? What made eminent individuals, including politicians, legal experts and activists sign a petition to try and stall it? The Yakub Memon case was judged by different yardsticks for several reasons. Here was a man, not directly involved in the blasts, who chose to believe in the Indian judicial system and surrendered, even as his brother, the prime suspect Tiger Memon, absconded. His cooperation with the agencies, along with provision of key evidence helped in establishing a direct link with Pakistan’s ISI. Moreover, the confessions of the co-accused which formed the basis for his implication had been retracted. A report by B.N. Raman, late top official of RAW, in which he had asked for leniency for Memon surfaced. Further, in a medical report it was found that Memon was suffering from schizophrenia and thus unfit for execution. Thus, it is baffling that the 10 men sentenced to death by the trial court for planting the explosives were given only life terms by the Supreme Court on appeal, while Yakub Memon alone was awarded the death penalty.

Without going into the never-ending debate on the viability of capital punishment, the case calls for a deeper analysis. In silencing somebody willing to cooperate, haven’t we strengthened the ISI, as the message that goes out is- remain quiet and you will be spared, speak up and you will be hanged. The major argument is that the hanging will provide closure to the victims of the horrific blasts. One only wonders whether it’s an attempt to veil the failure to nab the real masterminds being the blasts, Tiger and Dawood Ibrahim. As screaming journalists’ thrusts their mikes into families of the victims, one searches for traces of those who had suffered in the preceding riots. In the world’s largest democracy, it seems that blasts are heard, while screams of riots are muffled.

Was the Memon, who was hanged, the same man who had been associated with his brother 22 years ago? Did he not pay for his association and complicity by spending over two decades in jail? Did he, in the end, become a victim of public opinion and government’s adamant efforts to curb terror? Will there ever be a similar crackdown on propagators, like Maya Kodnani, Babu Bajrangi, of ‘saffron terror’ ? The hanging has aroused more questions than it has answered.

1. MajorBS

I love the term not directly involved in the blast. Here is a list of proven charges against Yakub Memon, which even his lawyer or he himself denies
    Arranging and transferring of funds which was later used for carrying out the attack
    Sending 15 young muslims to Pakistan via East – West airlines for training to carry out the attack
    Arranged facilities in his own home for making explosives to carry out the attack (contested by the defense but evidences clearly pointed to Yakub)
    Possession and handling of 85 grenades himself.

He may not have gone and placed the bombs in the designated places, but he definitely saw to it that the plan went well.
    The support I see for this terrorist in India makes me want to kill myself for being born in such a communal part of the world, where you can be a known terrorist and still people of your faith will support you because you are born in that faith.

I frankly dont care if he is hanged or jailed, but I cannot believe that so many muslims came to see this cowards body and gave him a farewell like a freaking hero. One of the many involved in killing their own neighbors and fellow citizens.

2. Avinesh Saini

Youth Ki Awaaz would have always questioned the SC judgement. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

More from Shruti Sonal

By Aditya Jaiswal

By Sahil Razvii

By Kunal Jha