This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Shivani Chimnani. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

For Those Interested In Creating Social Impact: 7 Diploma Courses You Could Check Out

More from Shivani Chimnani

By Shivani Chimnani:

Part-time diploma courses have proven to be a massive hit across the country. Thousands of students enroll for a variety of part time diploma courses alongside their degree to enhance their knowledge in their preferred field and to have an edge over their peers. A very popular form of education in recent years, a diploma can serve a much larger purpose than what it seems. It is distinct from a degree in many aspects; first, it is a short term course that focuses on training a person in a particular field. When it comes to relevance, diplomas face societal stigma and are regarded frivolous, but people often tend to overlook the myriad purposes a diploma can serve.

graduation hat and diploma

We often feel the need to create prominent social impact or undertake something philanthropic to serve a bigger purpose or work for the greater good, but something always comes up, be it time, sloth, incapacity, or mere unwillingness. Maybe it’s time to shrug it off and do good, and a diploma can assist you in that! In recent times, many universities have started offering diploma courses which enable a person to contribute substantially to the society. These courses render a person skilled and equipped to deal with crisis in society. Here are some diploma courses which can aid in creating considerable social impact:

1) Conflict Transformation and Peace Building, LSR, Delhi: Conflict transformation is a prescriptive concept. It suggests that conflict can have dire consequences. However, the consequences can be modified so that social relationships and structures improve as a result of conflict instead of being harmed by it. The Diploma Course is a one year integrated programme. It is offered to undergraduate and graduate students, NGO workers, media persons and grassroots workers. Any person holding an undergraduate Degree (BA/B.Sc./B.Tech) with minimum 60% marks in 10+2. (5% relaxation for SC/ST candidate) is eligible. Those pursuing final year of under-graduation can also apply.

2) Diploma in Renewable Energy, TERI University,Delhi: The power crisis being not so far away and the country edging towards the brink of exhaustion, the need for effective renewable energy sources is indispensable. While renewable energy systems on a large scale are an important step for keeping national and international infrastructures intact, it’s also important to understand the scalability of renewable energy solutions. The course, developed in collaboration with UK Open University and Ministry of New & Renewable Energy, Government of India, combines theoretical concepts with more than 30 years of research and policy advice undertaken in TERI on Renewable energy. The course is one year long and graduates in any stream are eligible to apply. The admission opens twice a year: May and November

3) Diploma in Human Rights, International, Humanitarian and Refugee Laws – The Indian Society of International Law (ISIL), Delhi: Human rights are the heart of progress in any society. Human rights education jolts awareness of rights, remedies and the highlights the global perspective and opinion of different fundamental rights. ISIL’s ten-month Post Graduate course, which was started in the year 1999, runs in collaboration with the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and National Human Rights Commission of India (NHRC). The whole course is conducted over two semesters – August to December and January to April. Any graduate can apply for the course.

4) Diploma in Life Skills, Sexuality and Personal Safety Education, Christ University: The course is one year long and offered by Christ University, Bangalore. The course primarily elucidates the importance of sexual health (i.e. development of reproductive system, sexual development, gynecological and male reproductive system disorders, etc.). The course further dwells into the importance of awareness of child sexual abuse and sexual harassment as well as various aspects of child and adolescent psychology. The graduate diploma is open to all those who have passed class 12 and the PG diploma is open to graduates and above.

5) Graduate Certificate in Public Policy-Takshashila Institution: The study of public policy is a compelling confluence of the subjects of economics, law, political science, moral science and various other disciplines. The program provides a thorough understanding of the facets of public policy and its application in daily life. The course well equips the students with the essentials of public policy making process which is helpful in professional as well as personal life. The course duration is 12 weeks and a bachelor’s degree in any field is a prerequisite. Primarily an online course, it conducts two weekend workshops in Bangalore. It is currently not affiliated with any educational board or certification.

6) Post Graduate Diploma in Philosophy of Communal Harmony and Social Peace, Mumbai University: Communal division has been intrinsic in every activity of Indian society hindering the growth and progress of independent India since 1947. Till date, one encounters a large number of problems in day to day functioning because of the vast communal estrangement. The course provides a thorough and detailed analysis of the causes of communalism in India, the societal structure of various religions and how communalism can be combated for smooth functioning of the country. The course is spread over one year on a part time basis and a graduate student from any discipline is eligible to apply.

7) Post Graduate Diploma in Disaster Preparedness & Response, TISS Mumbai: With the advent of global warming accompanied by acute climatic change, natural disasters are soon to be common occurrences. Effective innovations and methods ought to be formulated to mitigate the impact of such disasters. The course enshrines the importance of disaster management in consonance with the country’s development, various scientific methods and technologies adopted for reduction and mitigation of natural disasters, the different approaches the community can adopt for contributing towards disaster management. The course is open to any person holding a bachelor’s degree in any stream, however candidates interested in working with victims of a disaster situation for a minimum of one year are preferred.

Social impact diploma courses are of supreme importance to facilitate social development. If ordinary persons are stocked with the essential skills to undertake tasks which are sure to make social, economic & political progress, then social change won’t be a distant dream. As members of the society we are obligated to carry out our duty and responsibility to the society even in the slightest way possible. But, we often attribute incapacity and lack of skills as an excuse for our inability to contribute to the society. Well, say no more.

Take campus conversations to the next level. Become a YKA Campus Correspondent today! Sign up here.

You can also subscribe to the Campus Watch Newsletter, here.

1. Dhwani Rathi

You should also include Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India, Ahmedabad for its PGDM in Development Studies. it offers an overall course for social entrepreneurship as well as exposure to NGO’s and non-profit org.

More from Shivani Chimnani

By Sahil Basu

By Author Anonymous

By BigChange