This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Sakshi Jain. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Ready To Vote? Find Out What The Candidates Are Promising As #DelhiStudentsVote

More from Sakshi Jain

By Sakshi Jain

delhistudentsvote_1024

After witnessing the intense campaigning and the newly emerging trends of Delhi University Students’ Union (DUSU) election this year, the time to make the right choice is just a day away. Many factors influence the choices of students, the most important being the manifestos of the political outfits. However, the idea of knowing the candidates contesting the election is indispensable in the process of making one’s decision. These are the potential political faces of DUSU and the bearers of the responsibility of ensuring the implementation of agendas that convinces us to vote for the respective political outfits.

The major contenders in the race of elections have been Akhil Bhartiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) and National Students’ Union of India (NSUI). However, Chhatra Yuva Sangharsh Samiti (CYSS) and All India Students’ Association (AISA) seem to challenge their decade old confidence this year. Student Organisation of India (SOI) would also be participating in the elections along with Students’ Federation of India (SFI), Indian National Students’ Organisation (INSO) etc.

If you’ve missed out on noting the prospective political faces of Delhi University Students’ Union, there’s still a chance to know your prospective leaders.

Akhil Bhartiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP)

The candidates of political outfits have come up with various slogans in the process of campaigning. The trending slogan of ABVP, “Ek baar fir se, ABVP dil se” seems to be greatly inspired by the BJP’S Lok Sabha election’s slogan “Ab ki baar Modi sarkar“. With their mission of a clean sweep in this election, they hail their chances of victory by putting forward the manifesto focussing on student-centric issues of effective implementation of Choice Based Credit System (CBCS) unlike others who propose to roll back the system. Other issues include implementation of the room rent control act, bringing in the paying guest regulation act, secure atmosphere for northeast students and Metro card concession for students.

Note the names and ballot numbers of these political faces if ABVP is your choice again:

President – Satender Awana, an M.A. Buddhist Studies student. Ballot No. 1
Vice president – Sunny Dedha, Faculty of Law. Ballot No-1
Secretary – Anjali Rana, from Lakshmibai College. Ballot No. 4
Joint Secretary – Chattarpal Yadav, an MA Buddhist Studies student Ballot No. 4
National Students’ Union of India (NSUI)

In their efforts to make up for lost ground, they have made the issue of rolling back Choice Based Credit System (CBCS) as their priority to target the students’ suffering from an ineffective implementation of this system. Hostel facility, women’s security, facilities for northeast students transport facilities, including feeder buses for Metro are the other key issues that find a mention in the NSUI manifesto.

Note the names and ballot numbers of these political faces if you want to see NSUI resurge:

President – Pradeep Vijayran, a final year LLB student. Ballot No.2
Vice president – Prerna Singh, Ram Lal Anand College. Ballot No.5
Secretary – Amit Sehrawat, Faculty of Law. Ballot No.3
Joint Secretary – Deepak Choudhary from Hansraj college. Ballot No.5

Chhatra Yuva Sangharsh Samiti (CYSS)

They have left no stones unturned to challenge the twin superpowers (ABVP and NSUI) of DUSU even when it came to drafting their manifesto. Unlike others, they have issued a “charter of demands” instead of a manifesto. They released pamphlets of “rights” that students should demand from the university, the state government and the Central government under a campaign called “Sadda Haq“. The other distinct issues discussed by them are of right to free Wi-Fi, women’s security, employment opportunities for youth through job fairs, and launch of a higher education loan scheme.

The names and ballot numbers of these political faces if you resort to a new alternative:

President – Kuldeep Bidhuri, a second year B.A. Prog student from PGDAV College. Ballot No.5
Vice president – Garima Rana, a state level badminton player, student of Hindu College. Ballot No.3
Secretary – Rahul Raj Aryan, a university gold medallist and a national level debater from Hindu College. Ballot No.8
Joint Secretary – Hitanshi Chauhan, national level debater, Satyawati College. Ballot No.7

While no other political outfit seems to have outlined the distinctive proficiency of their candidates, CYSS has delineated its candidates’ prowess in co-curricular activities and academics on their Facebook page.

All India Students’ Association (AISA)

Considered by many as the dark horse this poll season, they claim to overpower the caste-based politics of CYSS, ABVP and NSUI. They have been pro-active in carrying out the referendum on Choice Base Credit System (CBCS) and establishing their support base. Hostel accommodation, women’s security, metro and bus passes for students, infrastructure development in colleges are other issues that find a room in their manifesto.

Note the names of these political faces if you resort to an old rising alternative:

President- Sheetal Bhopal, an M.A. (previous) student of Hindu College. Ballot No. 7
Vice president – Sudhanshu Shekhar, B.com (Hons) student from Sri Aurobindo College. Ballot No. 8
Secretary – Ravi Kumar, an M.A. (Hindi) student from Ramjas College. Ballot No. 9
Joint Secretary – Abhinav Kumar, B.A. (Pol. Science) student from Deshbandhu College. Ballot No. 1

Students’ Federation of India (SFI)

The party has formed an alliance with All India Democratic Students Organisation (AIDSO). It aims at challenging the Choice Base Credit System (CBCS) and addresses other issues of hostel accommodation, infrastructure, opening of new colleges etc.

Here are the names of these political faces if SFI is your choice:

President – Chand Mahal Ruby B.A (Hons) Pol Science from Ramjas College. Ballot No. 3
Vice president – Qasim Masumi, M.A. Social Work. Ballot No. 6
Secretary – Ashraf Ali, B.A. (Hindi), Motilal Nehru Evening College. Ballot No.
Joint Secretary – Ashish Chauhan, B.A. Zakir Husain Evening College. Ballot No. 3

Indian National Students’ Organisation (INSO)

INSO is contesting DUSU elections in alliance with Student Organisation of India (SOI).

President – Gaurav, Ballot No. 4
Vice president – Pardeep, Ballot No. 4
Secretary – Shriya Arora, Ballot No. 10
Joint Secretary – Ankur Dhama, Ballot No. 2

Besides these political outfits, Amit Chaudhary, former National Students Union of India (NSUI) leader is contesting for the post of Secretary as an independent candidate after his nomination was cancelled last minute. His victory as an independent candidate would be a first in six years, it was only in 2009 (after 18 years) that an independent candidate won.

The dynamics of the battleground of DUSU election have seen a profound change this year. Your choice will determine the right path for achieving the set goals by the prospective political faces of DUSU.

This is a part of YKA’s focused coverage of the 2015 student union elections in Delhi University and Jawaharlal Nehru University. To know more about it, click here.

Tweet your comments, feedback and opinions on the election with #DelhiStudentsVote. We’ll make sure your voice doesn’t go unheard.

1. RAJESH JAIN

CYSS GOING TO WIN THE ELECTION GETTING 40% VOTE, ABVP-10%, NSUI-5%

More from Sakshi Jain

By ASHUTOSH RABINDRA

By Mrittunjoy Guha Majumdar

By Jagannath Jaggu