Lady Shri Ram College Student On The Progressive Campus, But ‘Regressive’ Hostel

By Anonymous

Lady Shri Ram College is known to be one of the premiere institutes in the country for higher education. Apart from being known as a centre for academic excellence, this college is also known for being a “feminist” space. While the college tries to promote an ideology that focuses on making women lead, ironically the residence hall of LSR is trying to push through regressive measures.

Lady-Shri-Ram-College

Keeping Them ‘Safe’

The Residence Hall is home to 300 girls from different parts of the country. However, with the increase in measures curtailing the freedom of its residents, it is hard to say how much of a home this place actually is. There are diktats being issued every now and then, without much explanation. In a move that can be best described as hypocritical, the residence hall is asking inmates to adhere to “proper” dress code in the premises. While the college itself has no dress code, the hostel, in spite of being a living space is trying to push for one. This move is problematic because it not only flies in the face of the ideology that the college promotes but is also an unnecessary restriction on the students. The college can’t expect its women to feel confident about what they wear in public spaces, when it can’t stand it in private space.

The diktats of the administration are not limited to dress code. The building is locked up every night ensuring that no one enters/leaves. In a recent power cut, the students had to stay within the premises around 3:00 in the night in spite of the soaring temperatures. “One person has the key of the hostel, so in case of an emergency we are basically at the mercy of that person, which is not just bad planning but also a safety issue,” says a hosteler.

The residence hall has a guard outside the premises for “security” reasons, however his presence has been called by “intrusive” by many residents. The placement of the guard outside the building has also led to a change in certain rules. Earlier, when a resident used to go out during the day, they needed a permission slip that they had to surrender only at the end of the day. Now, as soon as the resident returns they need to submit their permission slips and in case they need to go out again, the have to collect their slips from the guard. This move puts tabs on who is going where and at what time, which ideally should not concern the residence hall as they categorically mention in the handbook that as soon as resident steps out of the campus, the hostel is no longer responsible. The residence hall has now started keeping a count of students right from day break. “Every morning as I go to jog, I am supposed to fill in a register that serves as a record of where I am going. This didn’t happen before. I don’t understand the point of this because I am not even leaving the campus!” says a senior resident. The hostel is pushing through measures that are instilling the feeling of ‘Big Brother watching’ among its residents.

Setting Them ‘Right’

The punishments for any failure to adhere to a certain rule/regulation are also being imparted in a very callous manner. If a student has committed an offence, or broken any rule pertaining to any of their leaves, they are grounded. Now the troubling part is that there are no set time periods about grounding. So if a student has not followed a rule, they can be grounded for any number of days between one week to almost a month. Here again, this provision of grounding students remains an administrative prerogative and is also not mentioned in the LSR hostel handbook.

The hostel functions with the help of various committees. In a recent turn of events, the existing food committee was disbanded by the administration and a process was initiated to put a new one in its place. However, the convener of the older committee was eliminated from the process and not even given a proper explanation. When the convener took to the social media stating her case, that is when most residents got to know about the incident. “After tracking down the president and insisting she tell me what was going on with the sign-up lists, she told me that the food committee was disbanded. The Union, along with Our Warden decided this on 13th evening. A whole day had passed and no one had the courtesy to let me know,” posted the convener online. And yet, till now no one knows about the reason.

Freedom Only On Paper?

There is a difference between school and college and an institute espousing the ideologies of women empowerment during the day can’t turn a deaf ear to them during the night. Rules are important and are essential for the functioning of a common residential space but there can’t be autocracy. The administration can’t expect the students to accept whatever the offer without any resistance. The hostel does have a union but the union has failed its residents. “This is a college, and they are our representatives. They aren’t head girls that they will instill the rules that the administration declares. They are forgetting the fact that we elected them for us,” said another disillusioned inmate.

It is about time LSR decides to change itself and its functioning before it sets out to change the world.

Take campus conversations to the next level. Become a YKA Campus Correspondent today! Sign up here.

You can also subscribe to the Campus Watch Newsletter, here.

1. Ankita

I believe this article is lopsided and presents only perspective to the issue. I am an ex-resident of the LSR hostel, and in my time, all ‘restrictions’ or rules, or actions undertaken were explained to the residents and had a justifiable logic. Being a feminist institution, LSR does allow freedom of speech and expression in the hostel. Clothing restrictions are imposed only in the eating areas. Its a socially complex paradigm we are dealing with. While explanations for restrictions sound impractical, we need to understand that the world is not like Lady Shri Ram. There should be another perspective and explanation for this article. It is seriously lop-sided and extremely critical of the hostel, and needs intense revision.

1. anisha

I am presently a resident of LSR hostel and I find some hostel rules and regulations very suffocating.

2. PinjraTod

Pinjra Tod is a collective effort by women students and alumni across colleges and hostels in Delhi, that seeks to discuss, debate, share, mobilise and collectivise struggles against restrictive and regressive hostel regulations and moral policing by hostel authorities; and as well as demand access to safe and affordable hostel accommodation and pro-active functioning of Sexual Harassment Complaints Committee Cells. Whoever wrote this article please get in touch with us via email or our FB page/account. We promise to safeguard our identity if you wish to remain anonymous. Thanks a lot

1. PinjraTod

*your identity

By Sahil Basu

By Author Anonymous

By BigChange