This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Rahul Bhardwaj. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

“Religion Has Passed Its Expiry Date”: My Reasons For Believing In The Universe Over God

By Rahul Bhardwaj:

There are over 7.2 billion people on this planet and everyone has the ability to lead a happy, successful and peaceful life. Everyone has the potential to define how to achieve this happiness, this so called inner peace which will help sustain and grow human kind. But this ability is not acquired at birth by anyone, it has to be nourished and taught by people who are already living on the planet, who have seen right/wrong decisions being made by the world and have squeezed out the essence of the right way of living. And the new generation using this knowledge is supposed to further try to make it more effective. This is the way society should have run, for an effective human existence.

Image source: Wikimedia Commons
Image source: Wikimedia Commons

Who is God?
Humans’ greed and ambition to control things has led to this divided and broken world that we live in. Across the centuries many humans have come and gone claiming to be God and demanded to be worshiped, but eventually all died. So the question arises- who is God? Does he actually exist? Or is it a figment of imagination of humans who need to believe in a super being for strength, at the time of adversity? One thing which we can be sure about is that we are all are one species whether black, white, brown, or anything. If some virus is deadly for humans in Africa the same virus will be deadly in India. This is the one thing which I admire about viruses or in fact science on the whole, it doesn’t discriminate. In fact, to put it clearly in the words of APJ Abdul Kalam, “Science is global…Science is a beautiful gift to humanity, we should not distort it. Science does not differentiate between multiple races”. To add to this I would say science is ‘universal’ as it does not differentiate between species as well.

How religions came to be

There are roughly 12 major religions in this world but if we look minutely the numbers touch 4200. Being a rationalist I believe in science and evolution, and I believe we evolved from our primitive state for a reason, to exist above all, to be at the top of the food chain. While we evolved physically but our major strength came from our brain, using our higher intellect we became the most dominant species on this planet. But we didn’t stop there, few wanted to control other humans as well which is where all the conflict started. Since there were lot of changes happening for human race we needed to define a set of rules which will reduce conflicts and maintain peace. Following those set of rules would help us become a civilised society and these set of rules were not to be forgotten but to be passed on to future generations. And this is how religion came into existence; it was a necessary tool to convert a troglodyte to a civilised human. But as time passed, it became a tool for suppression and an excuse for multiple wars. So religion, which was actually nothing but a way of life, changed to a rigid cult. For me religion has served its purpose, it has made us civilised and made us evolve so that we could make laws to define right and wrong in a society. So why do religious men believe it is still very much important for humans to believe in God? Do we not know by now what is right and wrong? Many claim that right and wrong can only be identified by believing in God but, I say, believe in humanity and it will be much more enlightening than believing in God. This theory goes like this, “If any action taken by you hampers any human by any way it is a sin”, this is actually as simple as it sounds. Now let’s test this theory to any of the teachings of any holy book e.g. murder- this kills a human, which is against humanity, so it is a sin. Jealousy or envy- this compels us to think or do things against a fellow humans so it is a sin, lust- this makes us use a fellow human for a particular time to satisfy our needs so automatically it makes it a sin, pollution- it destroys environment which slowly destroys human kind hence it is a sin. Now let’s test this theory with respect to homosexuals, as per the religious leaders in all the religion homosexuality is a sin and the reason given in almost all the books is that homosexuality cannot lead to a child or an offspring (scientifically speaking they are telling the truth), but is it bad for humanity? Adoption in many cultures, including India, is considered the last option for any couple, if someone visits an adoption agency society thinks the couple is incompetent to produce a child. The same is portrayed in many movies in Bollywood as well. There are countless number of children who live without parents in this world and they need a home, who shall fill that void? In countries where gay couples are allowed to build a family, they are doing so through adoption. So if we look via humanity’s perspective they are helping a human grow by giving him/her the proper love and care required, hence homosexuality is not a sin with respect to humanity. Using this theory, any action which is seen from humanity’s perspective can give us the idea of wrong and right, therefore it is not important for us to consult any books to tell us right from wrong but, the bigger question is how many of us want to know that? If you already know your action is wrong for humanity, how will you convince your conscience to do that wrong task? And yet we do those things against our conscience and because of this very reason every religion provides ways to cleanse the human soul from his or her sins, which sounds very attractive to every human as it gives us the freedom to commit sins, and allows us to get forgiveness from a super being that supposedly created us all. Now holy books never tell you to commit those sins but it also says through numerous texts that it is okay to commit sins, as we are just humans, and our superior being (God) has made us this way.

What I believe in

I too believe in a super power, I too believe there is something that created us and I refer to it as ‘universe’. Features of universe are unknown (just like God), its reach is beyond science (just like God), it has created a perfect environment for us to live (like God) and it has the ability to destroy us completely (just like God). Universe basically works on energies, and these energies in religions are called as Spirits. You must have heard the phrase in all holy books that spirits never die and through science we know that energy cannot be destroyed, it just transforms from one form to other. So every life and death is a process of transformation of energy in universe. When you die your energy can be transmitted to anything in this universe, let’s take an example to explain this theory. When a person dies, whether you bury or burn the body, the energy is getting transmitted to nature through various means, and it will eventually reach one or many humans as we are on the top of the food chain in this world. And this energy will be further used to create an offspring. So we see that the life cycle is a work of the universe and not some other supernatural being.

What exactly is a prayer? Why do we have it in all religions?

Prayer is a submission to the fact that God is supreme and will lead us to a better life. Praying gives humans confidence and strength to lead their life with a belief that someone is watching over them, and to accept that everything that is happening is for their own good. But what actually happens is that we start attracting positive energy from the universe, which gives us the confidence to perform tasks, which we were bound to do anyway, but in a more effective manner. So praying to the universe seems more logical than praying to something fictional.

The way I see it, religion has passed its expiry date in this world, and it is no longer required for human existence, rather it is working against humanity, and is leading us to a self destructive future. Fear will always lead a man to religion and reason will always lead a man towards science. To put it in simple terms universe created man, man created God, if universe wants, it can destroy both.

1. Sayani Ray

Finally someone put it brilliantly what I have been believing and practicing since I was able to undestand ‘right’ from ‘wrong’. I’m compelled to share it. Loved the rationale behind showing what a truly evolved human is!

1. Rahul Bhardwaj

Thank you for your feedback 🙂

2. Herin

Wow!That is exactly what i believe.How interesting to see someone have the exact ideology as yours.

1. Rahul Bhardwaj

Your positive feedback inspires me to write more. Thank you 🙂

3. Rishabh Jain

Nicely written article will Great thoughts. I would suggest you read 2 books
    1. Autobiography of a yogi
    2. Tripura raheshye

4. B

Allah reveals that he exists through his beautiful and magnificent creation. There is more than enough evidence to prove that Allah exists – the sun, moon, stars, mountains, oceans, birds in the sky, fishes in the sea, animals in the jungle, trees, flowers, the human body, rotation of planets with flawless precision, the internal and external organs, the manner in which a drop of semen wonderfully transforms itself into a baby in the womb – all point towards its creator.

1. Ayan

Nothing about nature is flawless, if you care to look beneath its superficial beauty. Nature is brutal, it is unaccommodating, it is filled with predators and prey and survival is a deadly game. Noticing individual aspects of nature, such as the sun and moon, in isolation, enunciates nothing.
      Even the sperm does not ‘wonderfully’ transform into a baby, it goes into the woman’s ovary and then becomes a fertilised egg. And then the woman has to carry that growing life for 9 months and go through extreme pain to let the baby out of her body. Nothing wonderful about the process. Women die of labour all the time. Another beauty of ‘nature’. The only wonderful thing is when the baby comes out of the womb and into your hand. That is undoubtedly beautiful.
      You say that the womb in the baby points to a creator. The only creators in the baby making process are the two people who hid behind the kissing flowers of the Censor Board. And that’s the reason why people have an unrealistic notion about it. I can only suggest, buddy, that maybe you’re super-imposing a God image onto everywhere you look. If it is said that everything has a cause, and God created everything, then what created God? After all everything has a cause, right?

5. Ankit

To answer your question that who is god and what is religion:
    God is nobody but our ancestors, who were respected and are respected because of their great deeds, their teachings. You are son and daughters of your ancestors, by respect or whatever you can say you have made your ancestors as god.

Religion is the tradition, that your community members, relatives, father-mother practiced over years, centuries in your locality, village, town, over the years tradition, festivals have become religion. This is religion.

If you remove religion from the world, and ask everyone to not follow any religion and live their own way without religion. Over the timespan of 100-200-1000 ( for 1000 years it will be your 10-15 generations) years you and your friends, family, locality, city will try to celebrate or enjoy in your way, that will turn as a festival and your group who enjoys a festival will be termed with a name, say if you celebrate new year in New york, You will be termed as New Yorker. You will have an identity.

Religion is also a name given to the people who celebrate a particular festival, eat particular food (according to the geography you live in), the language you speak, the literature and art you have. Try to understand this basic fact.
    People in the Asian region are more social that is why you will see all religions in west Asia, or South Asia. You will see India that due to different cultures, cuisines and festivals, we have so many religions and followers because we are more social than any western country.

6. The Game

In this day and age of materialism and hedonism, God is needed more than ever. Is it any wonder when pleasure has taken the place of God, anti-depressants and anxiety pills have become more common than ever.

7. Me

Being a rational… So lets test the second case you have made.. homsexuality… wrt heterosex, Homosex increases chance of transmitting STDs, more chance of viruses you have mentioned, the children raised by them are emotionally, mentally weak, and inturn they themselves cannot give birth to children, and its not yet proved that homosex is genetic but is in vague situation as with the case that heterosex is a disease caused by overexposure to obscenity. so being rational isnt it best to avoid homosex for the time being, test for its posiives and negatives , if advntages outweighs disadvntage accept it ,if vice versa ban it. For its said freedom once given is hard to be revoked and the damage is already done..!!

1. Rahul Bhardwaj

Please research before claiming such things like “children of gay couples are emotionally weak”.
      http://qz.com/438469/the-science-is-clear-children-raised-by-same-sex-parents-are-at-no-disadvantage/

Thank you and have a nice day!

8. Himanshu

You have same thoughts as mine. Its complicated to explain but still you explained it beautifully.

More from Rahul Bhardwaj

By Vaishnavi Gond

By Survivors Against TB

By હર્બનશ સિંહ ਹਰਬੰਸ ਸਿੰਘ हरबंश सिंह