INFOGRAPHIC: The Disturbing Pattern Of Child Sexual Abuse In India

Posted on October 8, 2015 in Child Sexual Abuse, Society, Taboos

By YKA Staff:

My teacher supported me but couldn’t help me”, says a survivor of child sexual abuse. A well-meaning supporter may easily get crushed under the mindset which blames the victim not the perpetrator. Countering perspectives like “a girl who is sexually abuse is dirty and deserves it” then becomes a herculean task.

Government figures claim that a whopping 53% of children become victims of sexual abuse in India. Out of 144 survivors who contacted the Satyamev Jayate’s team about their story, after their episode on child sexual abuse in 2014, instances where the abuse lasted even up to twenty years, came to light. This epidemic, as the Delhi High Court puts it, while releasing a statement on an ongoing case, frames the enormity of the issue succinctly.

The following infographic was taken from the ‘Chuppi Todo’ booklet, which was released recently by the social justice TV show Satyamev Jayate. To read about the survivors’ story, click here.

Booklet - Portrait V2
Image source: Satyamev Jayate

If you are a survivor, parent or guardian who wants to seek help for child sexual abuse, or know someone who might, you can dial 1098 for CHILDLINE (a 24-hour national helpline) or email them at [email protected] You can also call NGO Arpan on their helpline 091-98190-86444, for counselling support.