After Dadri Lynching, Read Farhan Akhtar’s Powerful Letter To The Govt. And People Of India

By Farhan Akhtar:

Editor’s Note: Another Gandhi Jayanti has passed us by but have we managed to honour Gandhi’s teachings and principles? Farhan Akhtar brings up this simple question in a letter to the people and the Government, who stood silently as a person was brutally lynched in Dadri, Uttar Pradesh for ‘allegedly possessing’ beef. India was built on the principle of democracy and individual freedom, but how much freedom do we actually have in the country? With the government dictating what we should eat, what should we wear, what we should speak, how long can we call ourselves a democracy?

farhan akhtar
Image source: WordPress

Farhan Akhtar’s letter below, re-published from his Facebook post here, urges everyone to never forget the Dadri killing because of the hypocrisy associated with it:

It’s been almost a week now since a man (husband and father) in Dadri, U.P was brutally murdered. He was dragged out of his house and in full view of his family, beaten to death by a mob. His son is in critical condition, doctors still struggling to keep him alive. His wife and daughter will probably never recover from this incident.

Reason: He was rumored to have stored and/or eaten beef. Let me repeat that. He was RUMORED to have stored and/or eaten beef.

Now one would imagine that those who committed this crime are lunatics who have no ability to think for themselves, their lives devoid of any purpose and who therefore cling on to the lamest of reasons, or more specifically, sorriest of excuses so as to give meaning to their own existence. 

They should be given the harshest punishment to send a message out that this sort of kangaroo justice will not be allowed in our nation.

But will that happen?

It’s the aftermath with the routine insensitive quotes from politics leaders, some blatantly blaming the victims eating habits, others sheltering the accused, that have already started creating the blueprint for what is to follow. We’ve seen it before. Do we want to see it again?

The police sprung into action and have sent the meat from the dead victims house for Forensics!!!!
Need one say more about how twisted this is beginning to get.

The point of this post is that another thing will be routine. The silence of the peace loving citizen. But this is NOT the time to remain silent. 

What has happened once can surely happen again and unless we, the people, do not unite in demanding immediate action, this is going to turn into a circus with all the usual suspects having a go at each other, trying to score PR points.

There are serious implications if justice is not swift and exact.

During this week, another Gandhi Jayanti has passed us by. I know one family in UP that must wonder what happened to the principles that he built this nation on.

Indians killing Indians killing Indians. Let’s face it.. His memory has been completely dishonored.

Let us not allow the Dadri incident ever to be forgotten or repeated. Jai Hind.

1. S.A.Rahim

No true Indian can justify the killing of Ikhlaq ,an innocent person since he is a Muslim can not be accepted and the rulers of India must answer for this.Also before telling more some one should try to get the eating habits of Silicon valley leaders who hoisted Modi.We should also find out Face Book Zuckenberg is a beef eater or not ,also others.We also get details of the type of food Barack Obama eat,since he is hugging Modi so lovingly.How a non vegetarain,may be beef eater also can hug a strict vegetarian and allowing the citizens to kill themselves in the name of eating habits.What are these democracies ?They are Demons cracies,it seems.

2. Mike Ghouse

Is Hinduism a religion of violence?

Where are the moderate Hindus? If the moderate Hindus don’t speak up, shamefully Hinduism will be slapped with the label of religion of violence. In the last year and half, India has witnessed relentless harassment of the Dalits, Muslims and Christians. This week a man is mercilessly beaten to death by a mob with bricks for supposedly eating beef, which he did not per the police.

India had a glorious civilization and the extremist among Hindus cannot mess with it, unless we let them. Our past was made up of respecting the otherness of others, but today, we are going in the opposite direction.

Was our civilization bad?

Eating beef has been made a crime in India now. If unchecked, India will regress and the glorious past will be equated with stupidity for forcing and harassing people to obedience as the ISIS brutes do. Our civilization was a great civilization and we cannot let a few misguided ones ruin India’s pluralistic ethos.

I like to see an India where one has the freedom to eat, drink, breath, wear or believe whatever the hell he or she wants.

I do expect Americans of Indian origin to speak up, hoping that they have learned the value of freedom in America, where we mind our own business and eat whatever we want to.

Mike Ghouse
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/09/30/a-mob-in-india-just-dragged-a-man-from-his-home-and-beat-him-to-death-for-eating-beef/?tid=sm_fb

3. RUPAYAN BHATTACHARYYA

DEAR FARHAN AKHTAR, YOUTH KI AWAAZ, I APPRECIATE YOUR ACTION. DADRI LYNCHING AND HUNDREDS AND THOUSANDS OF INCIDENTS PROVES THAT INDIA IS YET TO BE A DEMOCRATIC COUNTRY. WE AND THE YOUTHS OF INDIA HAVE TO BUILT INDIA A DEMOCRATIC COUNTRY, FREE FROM ALL SORTS OF SOCIO-POLITICAL-ECONOMICAL-CULTURAL EVILS. LET US WORK TOGETHER. I SUPPORT YOUTH KI AWAAZ.

4. Kartik

Dear Farhan Akatar Youth ki awaaz…

Whatever happened is truly wrong and I don’t support it. But why at this time the man inside you is out-speaking so loud.
    Please watch the below mentioned link and their are many more. Where were you this time. And whoever has shared this letter please convey this message to Mr. Farhan
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIFME289bk0

1. Avinesh Saini

Pretty badass.

5. Neil Sadwelkar

If we are told who in the Central Govt and/or the UP State Govt this letter has been addressed to, we can all lend our voices by writing our views to them.
    In the face of hundreds or thousands of letters, neither Govt can remain silent for long.

6. Prabhdial Saini

JUST FORGET TO GET ANY JUSTICE FROM
    THE HINDU CORPORATE INDIAN STATE….!!!
    No minorities (Muslims, Christian or the Sikhs) are safe in India. Thousands of the Sikhs were dragged like this from their houses in 1984 & were burnt alive/ killed in full public view… Have they got any justice even after 31 long years..? Thousands of Muslims were burnt/ massacred in Bombay, Bhagalpur & Gujarat since 1947, & hundred of Christian missionaries were burnt alive in Orissa.. Hindutva agenda of Hindu Corporate State is engulfed in Hate-Politics. Congress or BJP, both are two sides of the same coin.. Nothing will change in India.. The people here will remain Slave of Castes, Religions & Superstitions… They will be ruled either by East India Company OR Eat India Company & many Bhagat Singh, Subhash & “Akhlaks” will keep on giving their supreme sacrifices…!!!

7. Abhishek Oza

I oppose whenever religious belief of one person interferes with normal & legitimate life of other people and causes inconvenience. Hence I oppose:
    1. Man killed after rumoured to have eaten beef.
    2. Illegal barriers on road near religious structures. (I can show you a few mosques & temples doing)
    3. Religious processions used as tool to block road (like: Friday namaz & Ganesh visarjan)
    4. Social boycott of non muslims in Malappuram, and several muslim majority areas in Kerala.
    5. Accumulation of illegal arms by muslims of Siwan.
    6. Shelter given to intruders by villagers on bangladesh border.
    7. Shelter given to intruders in Kishenganj.
    …. Hey farhan, why are you running away …. hey stop …. i need support ….. oohhhh bl00dy C0WARD !

1. hammad

he is fighting for the issue he cares about you should fight about what you care about.

8. Himanshu Singh

Hey Bro Farhan, it seems you were sleeping for last few years, and you have now woken up after this incident . So for your kind info let me tell you some recent incidents –
    2014- Saharanpur, minority start a riot, arson fired on the sikh community and burnt their shops,
    Reason-sikh were constructing gurudwara on a land for which they had a order by Allahabad HC
    2012-Assam-minority killed the tribal bodos, snatched their houses and lands.
    2012-aajaad maidan protets organized by Raza academy led to loss of property worth 10 crore,
    2014-merrut In one of the prominent markets hindu shops were burnt two hindus shot dead.
    I am not surprised that you never felt after this incident that country’s secular fabric is under threat.
    Before righting such a piece of half baked truth, please consider the wider dimensions of the events. So in your opinion in all the above mentioned incidents Gandhi’s ideals were never dishonoured. When you will demand justice for the victims of all these incidents??

1. Human Being

Brother why you are making things more complicated..if someone is raising his voice against any wrong ???? we should support so that we can have a better future…for our generation to come.. And why your criticising him for not raising his voice in the past… There is a saying in Hindi “Jab jago tabhi savera” …and for your kind information Father of the nation Mr. Gandhi had started his freedom fight when he was kicked out of a train ???? in SA…on that day Mahatma Gandhi was born brother not on 2nd October.

2. Avinesh Saini

Brother, affairs are more complicated than you or Farhan thinks.

3. Human Being

Hmmm..yeah it is because India is full pessimistic people like you… Who cannot go for a peaceful solution…. Because we love to live in discrimination…

9. Nikhil Sheth

Thanks for this

By Love Matters India

By Tabish Khan

By Melanie Dhar