This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Anurag. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

The Man Who Made Indians Believe That They Didn’t Need A Gandhi To Make Things Right

More from Anurag

By Anurag:

Last week, I was sitting with a modest tray of coke and french fries at McDonalds, when I overheard a conversation. I had a half read book in my hands and it was raining heavily that day.

Let’s grab some beer! It’s your birthday for god’s sake!”

“Dude! It’s a dry day.”

Oh! This Gandhi, I tell you. He did more bad than good for us! Look how he has ruined it forever. You will never have a beer on your birthday.”

Image source: Twitter
Image source: Twitter

Ever since I could comprehend things, I used to hear this word, ‘Gandhi’, its stature always amusing me. From the illiterate farmers in Bihar (where I come from), to the IT professionals of Pune (where I live now), everyone has an opinion about the Mahatma. More importantly, they all have a story about him. Some hate him, some love him, some make fun of him, but no one over the age of ten is apathetic to him.

There were so many who came before him, those who shared his time and thought of an independent India. But for some reason, they could not come out of our history books. Some with a political legacy like Nehru got schools and colleges and hospitals named after him, but even he was not deemed significant enough to get a national holiday of his own or his face on the currency.

I read books, watched documentaries, and they all seemed to answer one central question, ‘Who was Gandhi?’ I was never much interested in that question, though. Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi was a great man. We all have some hypocrisies, certain imperfections, no matter how good we are, and he must have had his own. Perhaps, that is the distinguishing factor between mortal humans and mythical gods. What troubled me was another question. ‘What was Gandhi?’

I found it a little romantic to think that one man could take a country to independence like he did. I always tried to reason that out with what I read, with what I saw, but it didn’t make sense to my so-called rationality. Attempts to freedom were made before him too, but then why did his movement achieve what others couldn’t? This brings me to that half-read book I had with me at McDonalds. It’s a bijou book called ‘Kanthapura’ by Raja Rao.

It tells a story from 1920’s about a small fictional village near Mysore. It is about ‘Gandhi’, the phenomenon that happened at Kanthapura. It is also an interesting take at the Gandhian movement because throughout the entire narrative, Mahatma Gandhi never visits the village nor does he have an interaction with any of the characters. The villagers run their own parallel freedom struggle, led by a young lad, Moorthi, who is a staunch follower of the Gandhian philosophy and a member of the local congress. Villagers see Moorthi as their Gandhi. Then they all start being Gandhi’s of their own. Women, children, shudras, brahmins, everyone rises above their personal prejudices and struggles at their own level. Perhaps, that is what Bapu did to India. He was not a leader. He never asked anyone to follow him. He never asked anyone to die for him or to kill for him. He was an alchemist. An alchemist who could take an ordinary man and turn him into a Gandhi.

He gave India a talisman. He asked Indians to spin their own cotton, cook their own food, and take their own decisions based on their conscience. He knew that only when people became less dependent on others for their needs, India could become independent. Wherever he went, he created a handful of Gandhis. He made sure that even if he was no more someday, he had backup aplenty. When he walked to the Arabian Sea to make salt in 1930, some other Gandhi may have been walking to make salt out of the Bay of Bengal along with a hundred others. He made Indians believe that they didn’t need a Gandhi or a Bose to make things right. And that is where he ceased being a mere human. He became a way of life, a religion. Even today, knowingly or unknowingly, thousands of Gandhis walk on this planet. They are not hard to find, because passively, in our hearts, we are one of them. We might need to rouse those Gandhis in us soon, now that humans have turned into animals, yet again, fighting over cow/beef (whatever you find appropriate). We can use as many Gandhis as we can afford right now.

1. Omkar

A great post Anurag. An alchemist that transformed others. There is no truer and more fitting description than this I believe. And the effects of such an example lived so truthfully that even today it’s ripples are seen all over the world in various initiatives taken by individual leaders and movements led by small and large groups. In this case we ought to agree and pay our humble respect and recognition to what this great leader has done for us. And as you said rightly he isn’t the only one, there are several Gandhis, and there might even have been a Gandhi who might have inspired our Gandhi during his early years. And civilizations before too might have witnessed several such leaders. So what we could is start being our own Gandhis and recognize that the greatness shown by such a man lies in all of us, we are born with such traits, we may refer to it as Gandhian, but because it has been a closest and most recent example, and there is nothing wrong in that. But recognizing that we too can lead our lives in such a manner and let our actions be the example. This I believe was the exact message MK Gandhi conveyed through his life, and this can become the force that allows us to lead our own lives and be the alchemist for others. So we must with great thought and dedication, be the change we want to see in the world, without giving much thought to the unnecessary purposeless communication that we find ourselves engaging in over matters whose subjects are other people, without paying much focus to what sort of people we are becoming and what we could do about that.

1. Anurag

thanks Omkar! I am glad to get such a positive comment on the post…You truly got the essence of the article
      🙂

regards

More from Anurag

By शिखा सर्वेश

By JYOTI B