This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Ankita Mukhopadhyay. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

‘We Left Home Only To Be Caged’: Watch The Women Of #PinjraTod Challenge Hostel Rules

More from Ankita Mukhopadhyay

By Ankita Mukhopadhyay:

Don’t know how I will handle street harassment if so much of training and conditioning is happening within the space we occupy.

Once, a friend who was visiting from another hostel asked me, ‘Are you allowed to go up to the terrace?’, to which a girl promptly replied, ‘B.A se M.A hi gaye hai, aurat se aadmi nahi bann gaye hai” (we have simply gone from doing a B.A to an M.A, we haven’t transitioned from women to men)

These experiences of students in Delhi University campus hostels are just the tip of the iceberg. Women in hostels around the country face discrimination when it comes to ‘in-time’ and ‘out-time’ while the men in the adjacent hostels roam around freely. When questions are raised, women face counter-arguments from administrators, who tell them that the ‘streets aren’t safe’, and to protect women, it is necessary to ‘lock them up’. Instead of making the streets safer for women by punishing those who perpetrate crime, women are locked up to ‘prevent’ crime.

The Pinjra Tod movement arose around this urge to ‘break the cage’ that immobilizes women and binds them to patriarchy.

The movement comprises of women from colleges in Delhi University, Jamia Milia Islamia, Ambedkar Univeristy, National Law University and Jawaharlal Nehru University, and grew out of a simple Facebook page, where female hostel and PG residents began sharing their bitter experiences with guards, wardens, principles, landlords and the like. Their movement has now grown to encompass colleges in and around North India, and this video by Pinjra Tod brings up conversations around freedom that women want to discuss but aren’t allowed to, because of rules and restrictions.

Take campus conversations to the next level. Become a YKA Campus Correspondent today! Sign up here.

You can also subscribe to the Campus Watch Newsletter, here.

1. B

How many parents allow their daughters to be out after certain time at night? Even at homes, boys and girls have to be home before a fixed time as it gets dangerous at night. Also, the institute will be held responsible if anything was to happen to girl, so obviously there will be rules. And the very girls crying over the curfew will blame the institute endlessly since they are full of double standards, If you don’t like rules, rent an apartment like boys do.

Also, where is equality when boys are punished more strictly in schools and colleges all over the world, over the same behaviour and lack of work and attention in class. Boys are beaten, slapped, sent to stand outside class, made to stand with their arms raised, caned, and a host of other forms of punishment, while girls are just given a verbal warning – What happened to equality?

2. Batman

Where is equality when:

1. Lifeboats are reserved for women.

2. The media only focuses on women’s issues.

3. World’s most dangerous jobs are worked by men.

4. Seats are reserved for women on public transport.

5. News channels announce deaths of ‘women’ and children.

6. Juries discriminate against men in domestic violence disputes.

7. Women have special quotas in the parliament, companies, and colleges.

8. Women receive lighter sentences for the same crimes committed by men.

9. Child custody is given to women is divorce courts, in the majority of cases.

10. Men have to earn for women, but women are not under any obligation to earn for men.

11. Domestic violence and dowry are seen as women’s issues, while men are the prime victims.

12. Men give women child support and alimony, not the other way around. Men are ripped off their life savings.

13. Men are used as ATMs. Women always marry men who are richer, earn more, ‘well-settled’, and better educated.

14. Men die on jobs daily. 95% of work related deaths are of men, but that is neither an issue, not something that women and children are grateful for.

15. Draconian laws where women can land men behind bars with little evidence if any, giving a rise to false cases of dowry, rape, and domestic abuse. Police readily believe women, even though they lie more.

3. G.L.

Patriarchy is a scapegoat to fulfill women’s whims. Women want equality only when it benefits them.

purushatma.wordpress.com

More from Ankita Mukhopadhyay

By Author Anonymous

By BigChange

By @krantikari_yuva