7 Survivors Of Child Sexual Abuse Break Their Silence On The Trauma They Faced

Posted on October 5, 2015 in Child Sexual Abuse, Society, Staff Picks, Taboos

By Shambhavi Saxena

“More than 53% children in India have faced sexual abuse,” said Bombay High Court Chief Justice Mohit S Shah. Feelings of fear and unease are compounded by parents are relatives who blame young survivors of abuse or guardians who cannot or will not take action against abusers. In a booklet titled ‘Chuppi Todo’ recently launched by Indian social justice TV show ‘Satyamev Jayate’, it was found that children between the ages of 1 and 5 are most vulnerable to sexual abuse, and that the perpetrator is usually someone well-known to or a part of the family. The TV show had aired an episode on child sexual abuse back in 2012, and what followed was a “wild catharsis—an outpouring of pain like the breaking of a dam” as 1,49,72,514 responses came in through various media channels. Since then, these stories have been collected and organized into the booklet, as survivors broke their silence. The following are some excerpts:

sj1

sj2

sj3

sj4

sj5

sj6

sj7

You can read and download the full booklet here.

If you are a survivor, parent or guardian who wants to seek help for child sexual abuse, or know someone who might, you can dial 1098 for CHILDLINE (a 24-hour national helpline) or email them at dial1098@childlineindia.org.in. You can also call NGO Arpan on their helpline 091-98190-86444, for counselling support.