This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Sugandha Varshney. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Genetic Manipulation, Religious Sacrifices And Worse: 8 Types Of Horrific Animal Cruelty

By Sugandha Varshney:

All animals on Earth have the right to live happily without any fear and pain, but some people don’t think so. Animals also feel pain and cry as humans do, but can’t express their grief. Often, animals are neglected, beaten, or forced to struggle for survival. These unfair acts with animals are called ‘Animal Cruelty’.

Almost every day we hear something about animal cruelty on television, and after expressing ‘ephemeral anguish’, we forget about this. Do we ever think about how animal cruelty is deeply embedded in our society and how some people are using animals just for the sake of their monetary benefits or for their entertainment? In this article, I will take you to the world of Animal Cruelty and you will be astonished to read about the abhorrent side of our society where animals are considered as ‘Cheap Toys’. Here are 8 shocking instances of animal cruelty:

Puppy mills. Image source: Wikipedia

1. Puppy Mills– A mass breeding facility that produces puppies for sale, puppy mills is one of the largest commercial dog breeding operations in the world where the emphasis is more on profit than the health of dogs. In these mills, many puppies are plagued with illnesses like heart or kidney disease as a result of the poor-conditions in which they are kept in. Female dogs are bred with little to no recovery time between their litters. When female dogs reach the stage when they are unable to reproduce litter, they are often killed. It is estimated that in America every year approximately 2.11 million puppies (originating from puppy mills) are sold while approximately 3 million are killed in shelters due to a scarcity of adoptive homes.

2. Gadhimai Festival- Gadhimai festival (a sacrificial ritual) was held every five years at the Gadhimai temple of Bariyarpur, in Bara District of Nepal. In this festival, thousands of animals, including water buffaloes, goats, pigs, chicken, rats, and pigeons were slaughtered just to please the Goddess of Power. The festival has a 265-year-old history and was thankfully banned this year. But the cruelty suffered by all the animals who died in this festival will haunt any animal lover.

3. Greyhound Dog Killing– Every year, thousands of healthy and young greyhound dogs are killed because these dogs lack racing potential or have been injured while racing, and are therefore no longer competitive.

4. Genetic ManipulationGenetic manipulation (manipulation of animal genome through biotechnology) is done of animals to increase their productivity, fast-forward their growth, etc. This has increased significantly in recent years and it badly impacts the overall health of animals. Approximately 90% of the broiler chickens (chicken bred specifically for meat production) have trouble walking due to their genetic manipulation.

5. Dog Fighting– Nowadays, dog fighting has become prevalent in Asia and it is a source of entertainment for many people. Today, dog fighting has been reported in suburban, urban, and rural settings in some regions of India with dogs such as Pitbulls and Bully Kutta used for fighting.

6. Fur Farms- In the US, more than 50% fur comes from China where there is no penalty for animal cruelty. The animals are raised in unbearably cramped and run-down cages on fur farms.

7. Animal Hoarding- One of the most infamous forms of animal cruelty, hoarding is affecting thousands of animals (mostly cats and dogs) in communities nationwide. It has been estimated that there are 900 to 2000 new cases of animal hoarding in the United States every year, with 250,000 animals falling victim.

8. Laboratory Experiments On Animals– Experiments on animals is also a form of animal cruelty that is happening all over the world. Over 100 million animals, including dogs, mice, rats, cats, monkeys, rabbits, birds, among others are killed in laboratories for drug, chemical, food, and cosmetics testing every year.

Statistics On Animal Cruelty

The number of cruelty cases that we see on news and television is just a tip of the iceberg, as most of the animal cruelty cases are never reported. Although there is no national reporting system for animal cruelty, some media reports say that this happens in both rural and urban areas. Here are some statistics on animal cruelty based in news reports:

S. No. Countries Most Cruel to Animals
1. Japan
2. Australia
3. China
4. Spain
5. Egypt

S No. Countries Kind To Animals
1. Switzerland
2. Hong Kong
3. Germany
4. U.K.

Most Common Victims

According to media reports, out of 1,880 cruelty cases in the US, dogs are the most common victims of animal cruelty. The pie chart of common victims is shown below:

sugandha varshney
Pie chart as provided by the author

In dogs, pitbull faces increasing number of animal cruelty cases:

• In 2000 and 2001, pit bulls were the victims in 13% of reported cases of dog abuse.
    • In 2007, pit bulls were victims in 25% of reported cases of dog abuse.

Relation Between Domestic Violence And Animal Cruelty

According to a Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) report, approximately 1 million animals every year are killed or abused in connection with domestic violence. 71% of domestic violence victims report that the abuser also targeted their animal.

In the year 2007, 7% of media-reported cases of animal cruelty either occurred in the context of a domestic violence or involved a person with a history of domestic violence.

Final Words

It is our main job to become the voice for the loving creatures who can’t speak up for themselves. We should make it our priority to come together and make sure that our beloved pets are safe and secure. If we are successful in doing this, we will definitely make a strong and prosperous nation, as Mahatma Gandhi said, “The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”

1. Carol Crunkhorn

What about India? The horrors animals suffer in India are on a par with those in China!

1. Aurelia Rolando

I agree with you. WHAT ABOUT INDIA

2. Aurelia Rolando

this is unacceptable. what did animals do to people? at least there are some nice places that tret animals well.

More from Sugandha Varshney

By Jagisha Arora

By Paribha Vashist