[Y]ral: Recognise The Signs, Put A Full Stop To Child Sexual Abuse

Posted on October 16, 2015 in Child Sexual Abuse, Taboos, Video

By Asmita Sarkar:

Back when I was 12, I remember walking in a busy market where suddenly someone groped me. This scared me enough to not go back to the market for the next few months. But what happened to me isn’t a rarity. Neither is it related to the fact that I am a woman. Every second child in India has faced some form of sexual abuse. Whether it’s a girl or a boy.

Children don’t usually clearly express what might have happened to them but may be showing other signs that go unnoticed by adults around them. As a parent or guardian, you can help by communicating with such a child.

This video, by Bachpan Bachao Andolan, as part of their campaign against child sexual abuse – Full Stop – is an example of the kind of behavioural changes that children display after an incident of sexual abuse. Educating yourself about the tell-tale signs could save a child from prolonged trauma.

Video Courtesy: Full Stop

If you are a survivor, parent or guardian who wants to seek help for child sexual abuse, or know someone who might, you can dial 1098 for CHILDLINE (a 24-hour national helpline) or email them at [email protected] You can also call NGO Arpan on their helpline 091-98190-86444, for counselling support.