This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by IndiaSpend. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Hindus Least Likely To Be Jailed; Sikhs, Christians Most Likely

More from IndiaSpend

By Chaitanya Mallapur, IndiaSpend: 

They make up no more than 4% of India’s 1.2 billion people but Sikhs and Christians are more likely to be undertrials, detenues and convicts than Hindus and Muslims.

Hindus are least likely to be undertrials and convicts. Christians are most likely to be detained and imprisoned. These data, contained in Prison Statistics India 2014, were released last month by the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB).

There are relatively more Sikhs in prison (as undertrials, convicts, detenues and other prisoners) than followers of any other faith. 840 per million Sikhs are in prison followed by Christians (601), Muslims (477) and Hindus (305).

In India there are a total of 4,18,536 prisoners, of which 282,879 are undertrials followed by convicts (131,517), detenues (3,237) and other prisoners (903). 346 per million people in India are prisoners.

Indian Prisoners By Faith (Left) & Proportional Figures (Right)

Source: Census 2011, National Crime Records Bureau; Note: Figures reported at the end of 2014.

The proportion of Sikh and Christian undertrials in Indian prisons is two times their proportion in the general population, according to the NCRB data.

As convicts, the proportion of Sikhs is three times their proportion in the general population and for Christians, it’s two times.

There is no official explanation for the higher relative proportion of Sikhs and Christians in jail. The highest number of Sikh undertrials is in Punjab, Haryana and Rajasthan, which account for 83% of all Sikh undertrials in the country.

The highest number of Christian undertrials comes from Tamil Nadu, Jharkhand and Orissa, accounting for nearly half (46%) of all Christian undertrials. These are also states where the Christian population is overwhelmingly poor: drawn from scheduled-caste converts in Tamil Nadu and tribal converts in Jharkhand and Orissa.

As many as 282,879 people are undertrials in jails across India. 70% of these undertrials are Hindu, 21% Muslim, 4% Christian and 4% Sikh.

Of 131,157 convicts, 72% of convicts (95,348) are Hindus, 16% (21,550) are Muslim, 4% Christian and 6% Sikh.

The proportion of undertrials who are Hindus (70%) is 10 percentage points less than their proportion in the general population (80%), according to an IndiaSpend analysis of NCRB data. The proportion of Muslim undertrials is seven percentage points more than their proportion in the general population.

Hindus Least Likely To Be Undertrials

490 per million Sikhs are undertrials, the highest for any faith. The figure for India is 234 undertrials per million people.

An estimated 397 per million Christians, 346 per million Muslims and 204 per million Hindus are undertrials.

The religious profile of convicts is along similar lines.

The proportion of Hindu convicts (72%) is eight percentage points less than their proportion in the general population (80%). The proportion of Muslim convicts is two percentage points more than their proportion in the general population.

Hindus Least Likely To Be Convicts

350 per million Sikhs are convicts, the highest for any faith. The national figure is 109 convicts per million people.

An estimated 185 per million Christians are convicts, compared to 125 per million Muslims and 99 per million Hindus.

Christian Undertrials Increase 53% Over Five Years

There was an 18% increase in undertrial prisoners across India over the past five years.

Source: National Crime Records Bureau; Note: Figures reported at the end of each year.

Christian undertrials increased 53% from 7,198 in 2010 to 11,048 in 2014; however, there was a decline of 11% in 2014 over 2013.

In overall terms, there was an increase of 5% in convicts over the past five years.

Sikh convicts increased 32%, from 5,500 in 2010 to 7,286 in 2014, while Christian convicts went up 24% over the same period.

The number of Hindu convicts rose 4%; Muslim convicts declined 5%.

Tamil Nadu, Home To Most Christian Undertrials

The highest number of Christian undertrials is in Tamil Nadu (2,538).

Hindu undertrials increased 18% over the past five years, followed by Sikh (17%) and Muslim (12%).

As many as 197,273 Hindus were undertrials at the end of 2014 across India, followed by Muslims (59,550), Christians (11,048), Sikhs (10,203) and others (4,805).

Source: National Crime Records Bureau; Note: Figures reported at the end of 2014.

Uttar Pradesh, the most populous state in the country with 200 million people, had 62,515 undertrials. Bihar (26,800) is second, followed by Maharashtra (19,895), Madhya Pradesh (19,188) and Punjab (15,467).

In terms of undertrials per million people, Delhi tops with 606, followed by Dadra and Nagar Haveli (579), Punjab (558), Mizoram (506) and Haryana (439).

There are 3,237 detenues in jails across India; of these 63% (2,030) are Hindu, 20% (658) are Muslim and 16% (505) are Christian, mirroring the profile of undertrials and convicts.

How Indian Law Defines Convicts, Detenues & Undertrials

Convict – A prisoner undergoing sentence.

Detenue – Any person detained in prison on the orders of a competent authority under the relevant preventive detention law.

Undertrial – A person kept in prison (judicial custody) while charges against him are being tried.

Source: National Crime Records Bureau

This article was originally published on IndiaSpend.com, a data-driven and public-interest journalism non-profit.

1. kumar

What do you want to prove?…..Why religion in each and every thing

1. Srinivas

JNU Alumni contribution to our unemployed youth, Internet gives them the illusion of journalism and Booker Prize, I guess.
      They will cherry pick data from the largely unemployed, large sized poor families that may churn out more criminals, or drug addicts in Punjab and add them up with a few murderers in Bihar and think they have some analytics going in their favour. These guys will bring down India, they are waiting.

2. Srinivas

We should send more Hindus to jail, just to keep you JNU leftist scumbags happy

3. Srinivas

Since your stats are for the past five years, I am glad you idiots are not using “INTOLERANCE” and “NaMo” in this
    article.
    I am sure the JNU has funds to make it look that way

More from IndiaSpend

By Sakshi Choudhary

By Ruchira Roy

By Yuvraj Singh Mann