Awaaz Network Explains Why They Used The Nazi Swastika To Protest Against PM Modi

By Awaaz Network

Editor’s note: Awaaz Network, which advocates for religious tolerance in South Asia and the UK, projected an image on the Palace of Westminster in protest of P.M. Modi’s visit to the UK. Many publications such as UK Mirror, Scroll, etc criticised their use of ‘Aum’ with the Nazi Swastika. Awaaz has now come out with a response explaining its usage of the symbol and protest against Modi.

Exactly three days ago, on Sunday 8 November at 9pm, we projected an image onto the Palace of Westminster. The image was of India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi wielding a sword. It also suggested how religious symbols revered by many Hindus, such as Aum, are being used by the political Hindutva movement, to which Mr Modi belongs, towards fascist ends, such as attacks on minorities, rationalists, Dalits and political opponents.

modi-not-welcome-british-parliamentSuresh Grover from Awaaz Network said, “Pulling off the visual protest took weeks of planning and liaising with professional technicians. The protest was timed to coincide with the Bihar election results, UK’s Remembrance Day that commemorates the fight against Nazism and Fascism during the Second World War, and Mr. Modi’s visit. The day after, 9 November, is the day when in 1938 the first large-scale systematic pogroms began against Jewish citizens in Germany – Kristallnacht.” The banner was projected from halfway across Westminster Bridge and went up right next to the Remembrance Day poppies on Big Ben.

The image was chosen carefully and deliberately. Millions of people, including Indians, died in the battle against Nazism. Nazism was defeated shortly after the end of the Second World War. But movements it inspired remained scattered in different parts of the world, including India. Narendra Modi’s movement, the RSS, admired Hitler and Mussolini. It directly drew its inspiration from European Fascism and National Socialism, not any Indian traditions. Its founders glorified Nazism. They believed India should emulate Hitler and Aryanism. The RSS is responsible for trying to turn one of the world’s great religions, Hinduism, into their version of fascism. They abuse Hindu symbols every day, turning them into weapons of hatred and violence. The RSS in its daily branch meetings for its members does not allow images of Hindu Gods or Goddesses, only images of their Nazi-loving founders. That great apostle of peace and non-violence, Mahatma Gandhi, was murdered by an RSS member. This was the point of the image we used: the struggle against fascism continues today and it has a powerful tradition and history. The RSS’s aims to supplant Hinduism with a deeply violent, racist ideology directly inspired by Nazism.

Bob Blackman, the Tory MP who has complained about Awaaz, has been a long-term supporter of the RSS, the VHP and BJP. He has attended an RSS camp in the UK as an honored guest and openly supported the RSS. He has lost any moral authority on this issue.

We wanted to project the image on Parliament because Mr. Modi seeks its legitimacy, just as he craves legitimacy on the world stage. “He has been invited to parliament by the Speaker of the House and Mr David Cameron,” said Suresh Grover, adding: “I think it sends a clear message that a large part of the Indian community here reject the politics of hate and intolerance, wherever it takes place – in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Myanmar any country in south Asia or in this country.”

Awaaz Network’s aim is to monitor and combat religious hatred in South Asia and the UK. The Network is a large alliance of community groups and individuals. Its participants come from all backgrounds, Hindus, Muslims, Jains, Sikhs, Buddhists, Christians and non-believers. Its members are opposed to the violence, intolerance and hate that Hindutva represents, just as it is opposed to religious hatred, intolerance and violence in any form. Awaaz is not affiliated to any political party nor does Awaaz subscribe to any single political ideology, or receive any funding. Awaaz Network has a strong tradition and history of combating hatred and intolerance from Muslim, Sikh, Christian, Buddhist and other fundamentalists.

1. Shreehari

If you want to criticize Modi for political millage, do it we have no objections. But by projecting India’s standing PM with Nazi Swastika not only alienates your movement from majority of the Indians but turn them hostile towards your cause. Swastika has specific religious significance and is deeply rooted in Hinduism. Using it for your perverted political campaign will make you enemies of Majority peace loving and tolerant Indians. Kindly stop such nonsensical Behavior. By insulting Indian PM, you are insulting India pride and the decision of people of India. This will cost you your credibility. India is perfectly capable of handling its problems. We don’t need advice from British organization about conducting statecraft.

1. Vipu

Get your hindutva perverts sorted out in your country by your so called peace loving Indians

2. Srinivas

Who are you, oh lost one? “Your so called peace loving Indians”? By the way, the ones who allegedly projected this
      Swastika symbols, they were also “peace loving people of Indian origin”, or were they “peace loving people of
      Indo-Pak joint heritage”?

2. lilknaap

Swastika is a sign of good fortune in Indian mythology. Nothing to worry about. And looks like this awaaz is a pak based group. Hope Mr. Doval is looking into this matter.

1. Srinivas

Awaaz is being funded from Dubai, apparently has Saudi backers as well. It’s alleged Retard Raoul Vinci is also
      involved, though he doesn’t use his personal funds, which are tied up in Switzerland and Columbia.

By Ronak Aazad

By Mister August