This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Atif Khan. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Why Do 1 In Every 4 Indian Women Not Get Equal Opportunities At Work?

By Atif Khan:

Despite what you may have hear or believe, there are still many women and homosexual workers at companies who don’t get the same benefits as others in the industry get.

women in the workplace pic
Image source: WordPress

According to a survey conducted by Thomson Reuters Foundation and The Rockefeller Foundation, women in Turkey and India face some of the greatest workplace inequalities among the G20 nations but are least likely to speak out. The findings come at a time when tech companies are under scrutiny for their evident dearth in celebrating diversity at the workplace.

Celebration of diversity needs to be applauded and encouraged in a sensitive society like ours where segregation in terms of sex, religion, sexual orientation is viewed as a normal. Managing diversity indicates commitment of an organisation to recruit and retain employees from a different demographic background. There is a need to support women in achieving a good work and household life balance. Ericsson, a global name in technology, set an example in its Blue River Project. Ericsson aims to have one-third of its employees as women by 2020 by hiring more female candidates in fields dominated by men. Ericsson India, who were committed to the cause were encouraged to join the movement by signing the HeForShe pledge on the website.

‘SEWA’ a trade union which is an organisation of poor, self-employed women workers has done a remarkable job of wage fixation for the home based piece rate workers by taking action in the ILO and passing the minimum wage act. The mindset towards females in most cultures including ours is that she is the one who has to take care of the household even if she is working and men have nothing to do with what is happening inside the house. In the corporate arena, not only in India but across the globe, business is also discussed outside the four walls of the office where men have gathered for their recreation, and this system disallows women to be more inclusive in the ‘Men’s Club’.

According to the survey conducted by pollster Ipsos MORI, one in five Turkish women, and one in four Indian women perceive a lack of equal career opportunities as a major issue in the workplace. By celebrating diversity, we should encourage ideas that anyone can bring to the table, despite belonging to a different religion, gender or sexual orientation. The survey also revealed that only four in every ten women were confident that they earned the same as a man doing the same job.

Women need to feel empowered to act and be aware that change is possible and it is acceptable for speaking out in the workplace. There is a popular notion followed by some organisations to include women only in certain departments like human resource management or public relations. They are not included in core operations and there are only few female CEOs and Presidents of big companies.

We have to understand and dispel that primitive psyche that believes that Indian women are by default a bad negotiator for themselves, and have to work harder for getting their due. Only initiatives by organisations like encouraging diversity at the workplace and pay parity can bring some change to a working woman’s life.

1. Batman

This article is by an AMU graduate, who doesn’t know that in Aligarh, in all schools, 95% employees in schools are women, and St. Fidelis (Junior Wing) ONLY hires women.

1. Atif

Dear Batman, I wrote this article with facts.I appreciate that in Aligarh we are having good percentage of women in workforce, but it is about corporate inequality

2. Batman

What is there to appreciate about discrimination against men? I find it a case of blatant misandry. As for the corporate world, refer to link below. Women do not work as hard as men, do not take as many risks, get tired quickly, and whine and complain. You get paid according to your enthusiasm, qualifications, experience, ideas, work ethics, lack of absenteeism, etc. Women are known to take more holidays than men, and are gossip-mongers, and always complain about how tired they are. Men have risked their limbs and their lives to climb the ladder in the corporate world, while women always take the easy route.

2. Jigsaw

Men are heavily discriminated against in society. Women with good looks are often preferred over men with very good academic credentials. Many deserving male candidates are left out to make way for useless female employees in the name of equality.

The 15 Jobs Where Women Earn More Than Men

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jennagoudreau/2011/03/14/jobs-where-women-earn-more-than-men/

3. Batman

I Don’t Want To Hire Women – Hear it from a feminist

http://clarissasblog.com/2014/05/14/i-dont-want-to-hire-women/

4. Batman

20 instances of female privilege:

1. Lifeboats are reserved for women.

2. Seats are reserved for women on buses.

3. The media only focuses on women’s issues.

4. World’s most dangerous jobs are worked by men.

5. News channels announce deaths of ‘women’ and children.

6. Juries discriminate against men in domestic violence disputes.

7. Women have special quotas in the parliament, companies, and colleges.

8. Women receive lighter sentences for the same crimes committed by men.

9. Child custody is given to women is divorce courts, in the majority of cases.

10. Men have to earn for women, but women are not under any obligation to earn for men.

11. Domestic violence and dowry are seen as women’s issues, while men are the prime victims.

12. Men give women child support and alimony, not the other way around. Men are ripped off their life savings.

13. Men are used as ATMs. Women always marry men who are richer, earn more, ‘well-settled’, and better educated.

14. Men die on jobs daily. 95% of work related deaths are of men, but that is neither an issue, not something that women and children are grateful for.

15. Draconian laws where women can land men behind bars with little evidence if any, giving a rise to false cases of dowry, rape, and domestic abuse. Police readily believe women, even though they lie more.

16. Men have to propose, buy roses, flowers, chocolates.

17. Separate compartment and reserved seats for women in metros.

18. Men have to earn for women but no such obligation for women.

19. Men have to leave their seats for women in public but women never leave their seats for men.

20. Children are handed to women in family courts in the majority of cases.

5. B

Women want more pay for less work, and often inferior work. The story of their lives.

6. G.L.

Women and their parents have big egos, which is why women never marry someone earning less than them, and men are often asked the following questions during a proposal:

1. 1. Do you have a 3BHK flat or bunglow?

2. Do you work in an MNC or have chance to work abroad?

3. Do you mind if I use your money and not allow you to use mine?

4. How much money can you allow me to spend from your salary?

5. Can you afford expensive foreign trips? Can you spend weekends out ?

6. How much money do you have in the bank?

7. What is the password of your debit card?

After marriage, you will be consistently nagged to get a “better” job, with a “better” salary, and a “better” position.

Taunts will follow, “wo to itna kamata hai, uska ghar to aisa hai, uski gaadi aisi hai etc.

For women today, men are money earning dogs. The modern woman is a bitch and media is their pimp.

7. The Joker

Feminists To-Do List

– abortion
    – emails
    – do something fun (get abortion)
    – 2pm meeting (abortion)
    – abortion coffee with friend
    – abortion

8. Spider-Man

To massage a woman’s ego, you have to praise her cooking, her looks, her tea, her body, but she will never praise you for working like a donkey day in and day out, or anything else for that matter.

9. Monistaf

Perception is NOT reality. It is always easy to blame discrimination, sexism and oppression if you did not make the cut or did not get a promotion or the job. As far as I can tell, there is equality of opportunity in both education and jobs. Just because the outcome is not what you desire, does not mean there is discrimination. And this one in four number sounds dubious, like the 1 in 5 girls on campus’s in the USA are sexually assaulted. Wage parity does not exist for ANYONE, including men. There are plenty of men that have equal education and experience but do not earn the same wages. Why should it be “special” for women that they just need to be “given” fair wages. Like everyone else, they would have to work for it, get the experience, get the education, research what they are worth and negotiate a fair wage. If they do not get it, do what every other person does, go elsewhere and find another job and quit whining. Indentured servitude has been outlawed a long time ago, so they are not forced to work those jobs. Let them have the courage to find one that pays them what they think they are worth. Also think about it, most companies, including the technology firms in India are for profit organizations. If they could hire only women and pay them less, they would do it in a heart beat, because, let us all be honest, no one, and I mean absolutely no one would complain if a company hired only women. In fact, it would probably make the front pages of every newspaper instead for promoting gender equality!!

More from Atif Khan

By Abhinandan Kaul

By Simran Pavecha