This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Riad Azam. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Why I Have A Problem With PM Modi Being Invited To The AMU Campus

More from Riad Azam

By Riad Azam:

Within one and a half years of assuming power, the Narendra Modi-led NDA Government has already started resembling the disastrous last few years of the UPA-II Government. While it is quite true that Modi does continue to hold a certain degree of popularity, I believe that the myth of invincibility and hype surrounding him have been crushed. A number of poor policy decisions such as the forcing of the Land Acquisition Ordinance, massive cuts in social welfare schemes, appointment of inefficient people in administrative posts of educational institutions, a culture of bans and religious intolerance have led to a steady decline in the popularity of the Government even among its ardent supporters.

modi amu

At such a juncture, two recent news reports published in The Indian Express that quote certain students and alumni of the Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) mobilising and lobbying for Narendra Modi and MHRD Minister Smriti Irani as chief guests for the University’s upcoming Annual Convocation has been baffling for the University students. The first report quotes an alumnus saying that the University would ‘provide a brilliant, traditional welcome to the Prime Minister and impress him and ensure that his Government provides more funds to the University’. Apart from being absolutely naive, I believe the contention is wrong on a number of other grounds.

It is the responsibility of a welfare state to look after and fulfil the basic needs of its citizens that includes education as well. Education thus is a basic right of a citizen, and not a privilege being provided by the state. There are certain other things also that must be considered here. If we closely analyse the politics of Narendra Modi, we can see that the Modi Government has brought out massive fund cuts in social sectors including education to ensure larger corporate penetration in these sectors. To believe that a ceremonious welcome at the University would make Modi do away with all those policies and invest in AMU is, I believe, illogical.

The second article in the newspaper was even more disturbing for me. Last December, the central Government nominated three Members of Parliament as members of the University Court. One of them included Kunwar Bharatendra, one of the accused in the Muzaffarnagar riots. The students at the University protested massively against his appointment and prevented him from joining the annual meeting of the University Court. The report quotes Mr. Bharatendra referring to that protest as a ‘protest by children who were agitated’.

The second article states that Bhartendra met some students of the University whom he promised that he would ensure the release of funds for construction of a hostel which is to be named after Raja Mahendra Pratap. Pratap was a Left-wing political leader who had donated land for construction of University buildings. Since last year, the BJP has tried to appropriate his legacy for garnering Jat votes in Uttar Pradesh. Even if we are to believe that Mr. Bharatendra would actually help in building the hostel, the manner in which his promise has been secured is unethical for me. It seems as if funds would only be released to the University as long as it holds a favourable opinion with the ruling establishment.

The Aligarh Muslim University has traditionally remained against the BJP because of the party’s nature of politics. However, in recent times, it has also got to do with the way the current ruling establishment has functioned. As a part of fomenting communal tension in UP, the University has been the target of hate speeches by various leaders. Recently a leader of the Dharma Jagran Manch, an organisation led by a BJP MP from Gorakhpur, Yogi Adityanath, had referred to the University as a ‘nursery of terrorism’.

What actually lies behind these promises of ensuring grants is a two-way process. On one hand, are certain students and alumni of the University serving certain special interests for whose fulfilment they intend to be in the good books of the ruling establishment. On the other hand, people like these are the pathways for the BJP to make inroads into the Muslim vote bank in UP. As of now, the students of AMU are involved in massive student protests against the Central Government in solidarity with the protests by the students of the FTII, Pune and the Occupy UGC Movement. At AMU, students believe that the only way of ensuring that the Government provides sufficient funds to the University is to intensify the struggles against it. Hence, I believe that what those two articles have said about the University is just a singular perspective, not a perspective of the majority studying within the institution.

Take campus conversations to the next level. Become a YKA Campus Correspondent today! Sign uphere

You can also subscribe to the Campus Watch Newsletter, here.

1. ItsJustMe

Really? A saffron neta saying that AMU is breeding ground of terrorism bothered you, but not the fact that Mohammed Maroof and Mohammed Abdul Mobeen students of AMU at the time, were arrested in connection with the Agra blasts during Bill Clinton's visit to India, with almost 1/2 kg of RDX in their possession. Most of the students are members of SIMI which was involved in more than 7 incidents of terrorists attacks in India and PoK. The SIT also was able to verify the telephonic conversation of members of the outfit with their `experts'. They also admitted that seven students of the Aligarh Muslim University were the primary culprits who masterminded the blasts. AMU hostel is regularly used as shelter for younger Jihadis from Kashmir and other ISI terrorists. The younger Muslims act as messengers and couriers of explosives and classified information. And let's not forget the indisputable fact that an Aligarh Muslim University student ID was found in the pockets of one of the slain perpetrators of the unforgettable Islamic slaughter of 100 innocent Hindu pilgrims in Amarnath. All these does not worry you, but PM visiting the University is a big issue. How can you blame the neta for his comments about the University, its not even his opinion, he is stating the obvious about AMU. On September 7, 2000 an officer of the Intelligence Bureau agency was repeatedly tortured and brutally assaulted by the students of Aligarh Muslim University. On this day Aligarh-based Rajen Sharma, an inspector-level operative of the Subsidiary Intelligence Bureau, went to the Aligarh Muslim University campus to inquire into the suspected involvement of some students behind last month's bomb blast on the Sabarmati Express. Sharma's
    queries were directed towards finding out more information about the self-confessed
    terrorist Abdul Mobeen. The Muslim students then grabbed Sharma and took him inside a room in
    Habib Hall where he was savagely kicked and punched with chains, belts and metal
    pipes. He was burnt with live cigarette butts and tortured. Then he was systematically stripped naked for the next onslaught where the Muslims brought a drilling machine and engraved the words “Allah-U-Akbar” on his bleeding back. After this the victimized officer was made to sign a statement saying that Mobeen was innocent. If this is not terrorism then what is? Do you even know the history of this University. Why would you care, your name is muslim, you are thought to see only victims among your faith, so you would have hatred towards every other faith in the world

1. Neo

On 6 September Asstt. Central investigation officer Rajan Sharma is intercepted by the students of Habib hostel in mysterious circumstances. An alarm is raised, students gather and start shouting slogans and Rajan Sharma is allegedly beaten up. Message is sent to distt. and university administration. SP Aligarh contacts the VC who reaches the hostel immediately and controls the students. In the meantime students obtains from him a statement in which he makes certain startling revelations, which are as under:-

(1)That he was assigned the secret mission by the intelligence branch of UP Police.
      (2) Mubeen is an innocent, sincere and respectable person. His arrest is part of the conspiracy hatched by AGRA Police distt. Administration to malign the AMU
      (3) At the time of arrest/abduction Mubeen was unarmed and the RDX was later planted in his possession by Shashi Kant Sharma SHO Etmaduddaula Police station, Agra, ASI RP Singh constable Ainuddin and circle officer Civil Lines Aligarh Jagdish Sharma.
      These policemen were latter awarded by the U P government for their good work whereas SP Aligarh was transferred for not raiding the university campus to get Rajan Sharma released.
      (4) He also revealed that SP (IB) Ram Narayan often asks him to enquire about certain Muslim boys but when we report that the boys are gentle and law-abiding he often loses his balance and uses filthy language against us.

2. ANKUR

ONE DAY YOU ALL WILL MAKE A NATION INSIDE INDIA AND THEN tell not to enter in these are the thinking of your shame on you
    and what kind of intolerance huh ? for your kind information india is the most tolerant nation
    you live in a nation which provide you right to speak ,freedom etc. even your islamic nations dont provide you this
    come on there are 54-50 nations in this world only 5-6 will provide but not all rights
    *its our fault our government fault to provide right's to you so that you can misuse
    # the main thing is that you dont want to speak is that U HATE MODI ,BJP,RSS
    #why ? i have the answer because we have guts to speak when some one speak fucking things on our religion rest
    other parties just have whore a secular glasses and say ok and they do the dirty politics like the mamta banerjee has done in bengal and created the worst state now ISIS is recruiting there so now will you go and stop that ??
    and when they join ISIS and kill people then you people gather and say they are not terrorists
    you find this fake please go to bengal this are the things going on mate

#### INTOLERANCE IS DONE BY AMU how ?
    since name does not say its reserved for religion according to act every university is independent and SECULAR by religion and government provides a limited reservations for muslims but AMU has done a 50% this is intolerance

##############################################################################
    when dozens of people support yakub memon and gather there this is intolerance the day is not near if BJP does not do anything then india is the next nation for ISIS
    LIVE IN A NATION LIKE A INDIAN DONT BE EXTREMISTS _______________________/__________________________

More from Riad Azam

By Sahil Basu

By Author Anonymous

By BigChange