Are Sons Still Preferred Over Daughters? Watch To Find Out What People In Delhi Said

Posted on December 20, 2015 in Girls Count, Sexism And Patriarchy, Taboos, Video

By YKA Staff

We have often heard parents say ‘meri beti bilkul ek bete ki tarah hai (my daughter is just like a son),’ but have we ever heard the opposite?

In most Indian households, boys and girls are brought up with different values and ideals, taught that we have different roles to play in society. Even now, when girls are being educated the same way as boys, and women are slowly working towards equality in employment, is their ultimate achievement still becoming ‘the son’ of the family?

Team Youth Ki Awaaz went around Delhi and asked people a variety of questions to understand if we still prefer sons over daughters in India. Take a look at the answers and tell us what you think!

Posted by Youth Ki Awaaz on Thursday, 17 December 2015

Let's make Girls Count! Challenge patriarchy, stop sex selection. Join now!