The Price We Paid For Protesting Against The RSS Chief In Kolkata

By Priyasmita on behalf of PDSF:

After the Babri demolition, Gujarat riot, Dadri case, Muzaffarnagar riot, what I am seeing in India is that communal politics is taking a more and more assertive stand. The atrocities of RSS on the student and youth activists in Kolkata on 2nd December, of which I was a part, and the program in which the incident took place, proved to me that West Bengal is not out of the list.

11140042_1300073376685584_6924677515829833214_n
Image source: Priyasmita Hokkolorob/Facebook

On 2nd December 2015, the RSS had organised a program in Science City, Kolkata. It was to commemorate the martyrdom of karsevaks Ram and Sharad Kothari, who died in LK Advani’s rath yatra during the ‘Ram Mandir movement’ in 1990. Mohan Bhagwat, the current chief of the RSS was quoted in the meeting saying that, “The grand goal (of building the Ram Janmabhoomi Mandir) may be realised in our own lifetime. Maybe we can see it with our own eyes. None can say when and how the temple will be constructed, but we need to be prepared and ready.”

From what I understand, Bhagwat has been readying his forces for bigger goals in the RSS’s upcoming plans, and the heightened rate of killing and prosecution of members of minority communities and dissenting voices across the country is not a new thing anymore. The normalisation of such violence is precisely the build-up that he desires for his stated dream of building the Ram Janmabhoomi temple, which I believe is little more than a euphemism for the establishment of complete dominance of militant Hindutva politics over the Indian political and social scene.

12348056_1300073476685574_5607516157983538006_n

Even in places such as West Bengal which mostly has had left-leaning parties, with a non-BJP state government, the RSS has managed to flourish rapidly. From what I understand, it has been feeding on the insecurities of the majority Hindu community.

The number of RSS shakhas in the state has increased from numbering 650 in 2013 to being projected to reach 1,200 by next year. Communal clashes have been on the rise in the state as well as in the country, with a recent flare-up being witnessed in Medinipur district of the state.

With Legislative Assembly elections coming up in West Bengal in 2016, I can see that the plans for the state are abundantly clear and already afoot. In such a context, Bhagwat’s visit to Kolkata in relation to the Ram Janmabhoomi Movement and his emphasis on another drive to establish the same could not and ought not to have gone unchallenged, for which I decided to protest at Science City.

I decided that it was our political and moral responsibility to cast a voice against Bhagwat’s coming to Kolkata. He came to the city I lived in, he gave a call for a Ram Mandir construction (“Maarenge, mar jaayenge, mandir wohi banayenge”), and on my part, to say nothing, to do nothing, was unjust, politically and morally. So, 25 of us, student and youth activists, went to Science City where near about 5,000 RSS workers were present.

In a program which I felt was organised to deliberately spread communal tension, showing a black flag to Bhagwat there was a political statement on behalf of us, who were protesting. An assertion was very much needed to put up the democratic space to protest, to raise a different opinion. But we were never anticipating what would happen next.

12347868_1300073510018904_8559361376558925614_n

RSS workers ruthlessly attacked us when we assembled to register our peaceful protest . Many of us were injured, as we were some 25 odd in numbers against a gathering of around 5,000 RSS workers.

They attacked us with lathis, abused us (“Tum log to saale bhagwan ko kaat ke khaate ho, Hindu rashtra to hum banayenge, tum log kuch nahi kar paoge, desh se nikal denge saale tum logon ko.”) while we were writing posters and shouting slogans, then summoned many more saffron hoodlums to the venue who gathered in buses and motorbikes, threatened the media representatives present in the hall of breaking their cameras if they go outside, and finally after hours of preparation, again a mob of 400-500 workers chased us again.

When I still think of that mob, I feel the shades of riot.

The rath yatra of 1990 whose ‘martyrs’ Bhagwat was commemorating was a prelude to the horror of communal riots that visited the country in the wake of the demolition of the Babri Masjid on 6th December, 1992. Today, we must ask ourselves, what is this recent brutality a prelude to, and we must prepare ourselves for fighting back the onslaught in every town, city and village where such workers go.

Tolerance to this intolerance is not what we should seek now. The attack on us simply showed us how intolerant the workers were to our sign of protest. I personally think, to this much intolerance, be intolerant. That can give rise to the alternate assertion, the alternate strength, that is very much needed to challenge elements that do not wish to listen to voices of dissent.

Below is a video of the attack:

UPDATE: Further changes were made to this article after publishing. 

1. rajesh

This is intolerance

2. Srinivas

You leftist ostriches don't seem to be alarmed by the demography change with Bangladeshi “migrants”, you give them
    ration cards and voter registration cards, but the growing number of “RSS shakhas” bothers you. Oh we know you vermin
    so well

1. kafir shahidi

i am wondering who come she n her sisterhood has not yet cried rape & molestation done by “RSS hoodlums”….just to sensationalise this attack on peaceful protest ….has she got the guts to protest on the muslims event celebrating bombblasts n attacks on kafirs ? n rising bangladeshi illegal immigration….? i think the rising islamic politicisation will lead to riots and first casualties will be these coward leftists cum self proclaimed activists who r destroying the nation

3. Srinivas

I see a bunch of hooligans, including your team, yelling at each other. where is the proof any one of them is a “RSS goon”?
    Goon hoga tera Marxist chamche. Where are the tell tale RSS chaddis, white shirts, Danda? It could be your Didi sending her
    goons, who knows the truth? We just take your word? The video has some animal like screaming in Bengali, which
    we can't decipher, so we just believe your video “proof”?

4. Ranjit

These leftists coward loonies should be treated like that. As a Bengali Hindu I want annihilation of communists from my land. Thank u Hindu Unity.

5. Rishi Ghosh

Please shed a light how in the recent past there has been rise in communal against the minorities, I think the statistics are just opposite of what u have said in our article,check this out : https://www.newslaundry.com/2015/10/14/think-india-has-become-more-communal-under-modi-the-numbers-will-disappoint-you
    Also u said Hindus are insecure in Bengal, can u please tell why Hindus have to feel insecure when there is a so-called secular government in West Bengal? The fact is u people have crippled mindsets and can’t even state the obvious. You people can’t come out when marches are carried out in Kolkata for terrorists like Osama Bin laden and Afzal guru. You can’t raise ur voice when conversions are carried out illegally by Christian missionaries. It’s people like you who have corrupted the concept of secularism in India. RSS is doing the right thing at least they have clearly said what is their objective, when you people are going to remove your mask of secularism and show ur real self ?

By Mihika Rohatgi

By Archana Gupta

By Jaimine