15 Of The World’s Weirdest Festivals: Fling Mud, Scare Babies, Roll Cheese Down A Hill!

Posted on December 2, 2015 in Culture-Vulture, Lists

By YKA Staff:

India is a land of festivals. We always have something or the other going on in the country, be it Holi, Diwali, Durga Puja, Christmas or Eid. All festivals in India have a historical background, and all rituals and customs have an explanation. But often when one moves outside the country, it is not uncommon for people to ask, ‘Why do you throw colours on each other on holi’?

Not just India, but countries across the world have many festivals, some of which are equally ‘weird’. All of them have a history and an explanation, be it the La Tomatina festival in Spain or Day of the Skulls in Mexico and Bolivia. In Finland, you can carry your wife or someone else’s during the Wife Carrying festival, in Thailand you can prepare a feast for the local monkey population during the Monkey Buffet festival. Here’s a guide to some of the most ‘weird festivals’, across the world!

The World's Weirdest Festivals
Infographic source: FHR