A ‘Beef Raid’ On A Train In M.P. Brings Back Memories Of Dadri

Posted on January 15, 2016 in News, Society

News by YKA Staff

Passengers travel inside an overcrowded general class compartment of the Kalka Mail train in the northern Indian city of Kanpur March 20, 2012. By the end of the day, about 40 people on average will have died somewhere on the network of 64,000 km (39,800 miles) of track. Many will be slum-dwellers and poor villagers who live near the lines and use them as places to wash and as open toilets. Some will have fallen off overcrowded commuter trains. Of the 20 million people who travel daily on the network, many will arrive hours, even a day, behind schedule, having clattered along tracks and been guided by signalling systems  built before India gained independence from Britain in 1947.  To match Insight INDIA-RAILWAYS  REUTERS/Danish Siddiqui (INDIA - Tags: TRANSPORT SOCIETY POLITICS BUSINESS) - RTR2ZOS4
For representation. Source: REUTERS/Danish Siddiqui

In a repeat of the Dadri incident, a Muslim couple was harassed in Madhya Pradesh while travelling in a train, over suspicions of carrying beef, the Indian Express reported Friday.

Two activists of a local cow protection group were arrested following the ‘raid’ they conducted on the train, after being tipped off by the co-passengers of the couple. The Express reported that “Nine local residents, including at least one relative of the couple, were also arrested and released on bail after they engaged in a scuffle with the Samiti members on the platform.”

According to the police, laboratory tests proved that the meat seized was a buffalo’s.

It appears that at least seven members of the group had “assaulted” the Muslim couple who were travelling to their hometown in MP after visiting an “ailing” relative in Hyderabad.

The incident came as a shocking reminder of the ghastly incident that occurred in Dadri, Uttar Pradesh last year where a man was lynched over suspicion of keeping beef in his house. The incident had led to huge public outrage, with many luminaries belonging to different fields returning their national or state awards in protest.

Such incidents are clearly marring the communal harmony in the country and fueling suspicions that right-wing aggression is being condoned by the government. The government needs to make it known that such incidents will not be tolerated at any cost. Otherwise, its agenda of economic development is bound to be derailed.