#NewsInTweets: Rohith Vemula’s Suicide Is Not A Dalit Vs Non-Dalit Issue, Says Smriti Irani

Posted on January 21, 2016 in News

By YKA Staff

What’s the latest around the world today? Curated for you from the interwebz, here’s a quick morning fix to keep you updated. In 140 characters at that! Presenting, #NewsInTweets:

1. Smriti Irani says Rohith Vemula’s suicide is being “misrepresented” as a “Dalit vs non-Dalit confrontation” when it actually wasn’t. 10 Hyderabad University teachers, all belonging to the SC/ST communities, quit their posts to show solidarity with the students.

2. Delhi Government spent over Rs 20 crore to implement the Odd-Even plan in Delhi.

3. After Bhupendra Chaubey gets much flack for his “sexist” interview with Sunny Leone, Aamir Khan tweets to the actor regarding a question she was asked about whether she thinks he (Aamir) would work with her.

4. Former US Vice President candidate Sarah Palin blames President Barack Obama for her son’s mental health condition and subsequent arrest, saying Obama “doesn’t care about veterans”.

5. Written as ‘(274207281)-1’, a 22-million digit number has been found to be the largest known prime number. This discovery was made by Dr. Curtis Cooper from the University of Central Missouri.

6. As per data released by AIIMS, 5 lakh lives are lost each year due to indoor air pollution.

7. On the heels of the mass death of whales, over 150 Olive Ridley turtles found dead on Puri beach.