107 Girls Walk Over 25 Km At Night To Protest Against Ill-Treatment By Hostel In Odisha

Posted on January 28, 2016 in Campus Watch, News

News By PTI:

School girls wear black bands on their faces during a protest rally against the rape case of a 16-year-old girl at Dhupguri town in the eastern Indian state of West Bengal, April 11, 2015. The father, uncle and brother of the girl have been arrested accused of raping her repeatedly over a period of two years, police said on Saturday. REUTERS/Stringer - RTR4WWWA
Representation only. REUTERS/Stringer

In an unusual form of protest, more than 100 students of a state-run tribal girls’ high school walked more than 25 kilometres at night in the cold to Mayurbhanj District Collector’s office demanding action against their hostel authorities for alleged ill-treatment.

Around 7 PM on 27th January, 107 students of Pakatia government girls’ high school in Mayurbhanj district of Odisha run by the SC/ST department, came out of the school campus alleging continuous harassment and ill-treatment in the hostel by authorities.

Though efforts were made to persuade the girls to return to their campus, they refused to withdraw.

Unable to stop the angry girls, police then escorted them on the 25-km walk to the District Collector’s office here.

At the District Collectorate, they staged a dharna (protest) on the road at midnight demanding action against the matron, accusing her of ill-treatment and serving low standard meals to them in the hostel.

They also alleged that the school did not have adequate teaching facilities.

Mayurbhanj District Collector Rajesh Pravakar Patil rushed to the site at about 1 AM and assured action against errant officials.

“We have dropped the girls at their school and the district administration has assured to take action against erring officials after a probe,” said District Welfare Office Krupasindhu Behera.

Mayurbhanj SP, Gadhadhar Pradhani, Mayurbhanj Zilla Parishad Chairperson, Prakash Soren, along with other top officials were present during the discussion with the agitating girls.