Sound Design Earns Pookutty Award Nominations For Films That Are Still Banned In India

Posted on January 27, 2016 in Culture-Vulture, News

News by Press Trust Of India:

Resul Pookutty displays his Oscar and Bafta award trophies, after receiving an award from Bollywood actor Amitabh Bachchan, for his contribution to sound industry on behalf of western India motion pictures and television sound engineers association during an award function in Mumbai May 5, 2009. Pookutty was the winner of the Oscar for sound mixing for "Slumdog Millionaire" during the 81st Academy Awards. Picture taken May 5, 2009. REUTERS/Manav Manglani (INDIA ENTERTAINMENT) - RTXERSU
Resul Pookutty. Source: REUTERS/Manav Manglan

Oscar-winning sound designer Resul Pookutty has received two nominations for Unfreedom and India’s Daughter, both the films which are banned in India, at the Motion Picture Sound Editors’ 63rd annual Golden Reel Awards.

Pookutty, 44, took to Twitter to share his excitement for being nominated with fans.

“Two nominations at #MPSE is a rare feat!I thank my crew and my fraternity for allowing me to grow and standing as the greatest support system,” he tweeted.

The sound mixer dedicated his nominations to the victim of the September 16 gangrape.

“I dedicate my nominations at the 63rd Golden Reel Award to the soul of… Nirbhaya case, truly the #India’sDaughter.”

Florida-based director Raj Amit Kumar’s debut film Unfreedom, starring Adil Hussain and Victor Banerjee in key roles, is a contemporary thriller that chronicles a lesbian love story set in New York and New Delhi.

Leslee Udwin’s controversial BBC documentary India’s Daughter features an interview of one of the four men sentenced to death in the case.

Mad Max: Fury Road, The Martian, Star Wars: The Force Awakens and The Revenant earned three mentions apiece, the most in the feature-film categories.

The ceremony will be held on February 27 at the Westin Bonaventure Hotel in Los Angeles.