This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Rohini Banerjee. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Bhupendra Chaubey Just Can’t Get Over Sunny Leone’s ‘Past’. Thankfully, She Don’t Care!

More from Rohini Banerjee

By Rohini Banerjee

“I wonder if I’m being morally corrupt by interviewing you”

When you are watching an interview being conducted by a ‘seasoned’ journalist from a reputed news channel, that’s the last thing you expect to hear him say, but shockingly that’s exactly what TV journalist Bhupendra Chaubey said while interviewing Canadian-Indian pornstar-turned-actor Sunny Leone. But this was not even one percent of the judgemental, sexist and bigoted things he said during the course of the interview.

Sunny Leone had been working in the adult entertainment industry in the US when ‘Bigg Boss‘, the Indian version of ‘Big Brother‘, invited her to be part of the show. Soon after she appeared on ‘Bigg Boss‘, she shot to fame and began acting in Bollywood films. Since then, Leone has become one of Bollywood’s most bankable stars, and in her four-year career, has acted in films across several Indian languages such as Kannada, Telugu and Hindi. Her immense popularity and success recently put her on Forbes India Magazine’s top 100 celebrity list, and she also became the most searched person on Google in India in 2015— for the fourth consecutive year. Yet, despite her various accomplishments, Leone was subjected to this rather humiliating interview where Chaubey, the interviewer, launched vicious moral attacks on the actor, continuously passing judgement about her past in the porn industry and her expression of bodily autonomy. He tried to mask his personal attacks behind phrases like “people say”, and so-and-so has said, but Sunny was having none of that. She held her ground admirably, and came up with rejoinders that were so brilliant that by the end of the interview, it was Chaubey who came across as a ridiculous bumbling fool.

Before he even began the interview, Chaubey declared Leone to be “not your conventional idea of an Indian woman”—which, excuse you, who are you to decide? What is a “conventional Indian woman” anyway, and what is this bogus standard of behaviour that all Indian women have to adhere to? But this was just the beginning. During the course of the interview, he continues to very brashly imply that she is corrupting traditional Indian virtues through not just being in charge of her sexuality on screen, but through her “past” in the adult industry (an argument which makes zero sense, by the way). He suggests that she is inciting male sexual libidos to such an extent that married men across the country are turning unfaithful to their wives. But Sunny (god bless her), remains utterly unperturbed through these gross moral judgements and calmly continues to shut him down by saying things like, “Sorry ladies, I don’t want your husbands at all, I have my own.”

But this man just would not stop going on about her “past” in the porn industry. He kept accosting her with questions about her porn career, but Sunny calmly and with great dignity kept shutting him down.

Chaubey: “Are you worried, Sunny? On one hand you say that you’re a businessperson, a realist, I take that point. Do you not sometimes get affected by the fact that your past… your past that you were this porn queen will continue to haunt you? Or maybe continue to pull you back? When maybe you could’ve gone far higher.”

Sunny: “You’re the only person… It’s the press and the media that says holding back or haunt. I’ve never said haunt, I’ve never said held back. I am not held back. Maybe I don’t know yet. Maybe one day I get to work with somebody who is this huge star. At this moment, I don’t know any better so it doesn’t affect my life.”

Here’s another brilliant way Sunny countered his judgemental bullshit:

Chaubey (interrupting while Sunny was talking): “I sometimes wonder, and pardon me if I’m in anyways being offensive here, but how many people would think in terms of growing up to be a porn star?”

Sunny: “No one.”

Chaubey: “And you became. So how did that happen? I want to know it from you, how did that happen?”

Sunny: “It wasn’t something I aspired to do. It just kinda happened. I met an agent and when I saw these photos of these women, I didn’t think, Oh this is vulgar, I didn’t think that, Oh this is wrong. I thought of it as being beautiful, and I thought they’re sexy, they’re beautiful, they’re free, they’re doing whatever they want to do. And that’s how I saw it.”

What’s more, Chaubey even tried to further shame Sunny while citing random instances of politicians and people in the film industry shying away from her because of her—you guessed it right—“past”. And here’s how Sunny shut that down:

Chaubey: “Look at how your actions are being interpreted in India. Atul Anjan who happens to be an MP of CPI has consistently gone on record, and mind you, he’s not the only one, where he holds you responsible for corrupting Indian minds, Indian morality. Again I go back to it, when these kind of comments are made, how do you deal with them?”

Sunny: “I think I am happy to be a part of a political speech. If you think about me so much in your day, you want to put me in your speeches and you want to blame me for things… umm I think that it’s that person’s choice but I’m glad… y’know I’m waiting for Obama to put me in his speech. (laughs)”

One really has to admire Sunny Leone’s poise and grace in dealing with these utterly ridiculous unprofessional personal attacks. And as for Chaubey, he came across as the typical patriarchal male, policing a woman’s right to her body and sexuality. Not to mention, also an incredibly sloppy journalist. One should take cues from Shekhar Gupta’s interview of Leone, where he encouraged Sunny to really open up about herself and talk about her motivations and aspirations surrounding both her past and present careers.

If you can’t keep your (absurd) personal biases aside while conducting an interview, then I’m sorry but you have failed as an interviewer. As comedian (and Leone’s co-star in her current film) Vir Das aptly said: “Here’s hoping Mr Chaubey’s next interview explores something other than his own prejudice.”

1. Guru

Sunny Leone being the most searched or making it to the top of some magazine doesn't make her holy. She certainly isn't the most searched for some noble work. And definitely not someone who has made her parents proud.

2. Guru

Bhupendra Chaubey was a gentlemen throughout the interview, made her feel comfortable and even asked her to pardon him if she felt offended. He just wanted to know how she deals with her past, but feminists need something, anything to show men in bad light and make a mountain out of a molehill.

3. Jigsaw

It was regular interview, and she didn't seem offended either. Stop trying to create controversy for the sake of it.

4. Asheesh

This interview, made me respect Sunny, I think for the first time. However, I also could not help but noticing a senior journalist acting like a monkey. Of Course she was a porn star and the interviewer had to bring that up, however the way he was behaving, his neck falling forward eyes popping out on every opportunity to try to get an embarrassed response from Sunny was too low.

5. mesquite

No. You cant have a liberty of shaming people publicly and being respected for it.

In the FTII case so many people spoke cheaply of Gajendra chauhan but people welcomed it. Now because it is sunny leone they are feeling bad for her. If she had praised BJP or Modi's work she would have been heckeld and abused like gajendra chauhan

In fact in an interview, a journalist called Anna Vetticad, talk so cheaply of chauhans work that she was nauseating. but no one pulled her up.

The end of the story is that if gajendra chauhan was not a BJP or Modi backed person, people would have endeared him. The FTII students are the icing on the cake, that they shamed him for his work.

What is the FTII stand on Sunny Leone

What is the Authors stand on Gajendra Chauhan

More from Rohini Banerjee

By Vivek Verma

By Taha Iqbal

By Accountability Initiative