This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Abhimanyu Kumar. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

It’s Shocking That Govt. Is Harping On ‘Sedition’, JNU Students Are Right To Cry Foul

More from Abhimanyu Kumar

By Abhimanyu Singh for Youth Ki Awaaz:

_DSC0008
Image Credit: V. Arun Kumar/MPhil, JNU

Shock. Anger. Anguish. This is what one of the country’s top universities, JNU felt yesterday. Shock at its president Kanhaiya Kumar of the AISF (All India Students’ Federation) being picked up by the police on charges of sedition and conspiracy against the State. Kumar was produced at Patiala House Court yesterday where he was sent to a three-day police remand for further interrogation. The Amnesty International has condemned the development.

It is learnt that five other students have also been named in the FIR. They are Umar Khalid, Rama Naga, Anant Prakash, Anirban Bhattacharya and Ashutosh Kumar. While Khalid and Bhattacharya are ex-DSU (Democratic Students’ Union) activists who organised the event ‘The Country Without a Post Office’, Naga is a JNUSU office bearer. Kumar was JNUSU president in the last Union while Prakash was the Vice-President. The police is also reportedly looking for other students, including those who organised the event on Tuesday. I spoke to one of the organisers yesterday afternoon and was told that they had not been picked up till then. It has been reported that eight students have been debarred from academic activity pending an enquiry.

It is pertinent to note that on Thursday, in a speech outside the Administration Block in JNU, Kumar had said: “true freedom will come from Parliament and Constitution.” Behind him, a large tri-colour loomed. While he did say that there was a necessity to discuss the concept of violence and the reasons and motives behind terrorism, he also added for good measure, “we don’t support terrorist activities.”

_DSC0013
D. Raja. Image Credit: V. Arun Kumar/MPhil, JNU.

Kumar also pointed out that a University stood for the “critical analysis of the common conscience.”

The anger visible yesterday among JNU students was because they felt that their right to critically analyse the conscience of the nation had been taken away, as several of them told me, in one way or another. Not only did the police pick up Kumar, they also raided hostels, at least two of them, according to sources, to look for more students to apprehend. The anger was so palpable that a correspondent from an internationally reputed news channel was heckled as students were unsure about his identity. News anchors were also criticised in strong terms by the students, who had assembled in front of the Administration Block, for sensationalising the issue and leading a vicious campaign against the University.

The anguish was clearly felt at being branded ‘anti-national’. D. Raja, senior leader of the CPI (Communist Party Of India), who came to meet the V-C later in the day, said so in no uncertain terms. He pointed out, in an improvised speech to the students assembled that the AISF had a history of fighting the British and it needed no lesson in patriotism from anyone, least of all the right-wing forces. He also made it clear that the issue would be raised in the Parliament and that the CPI would take it up with the Home Minister.

_DSC0111
Image Credit: V. Arun Kumar/MPhil, JNU.

He stated that there was an “atmosphere of terror” in the University. He condemned the arrest of Kumar and pledged that the CPI would ensure that he won’t stay in jail for long. He demanded that all charges against him should be withdrawn. “The police in connivance with the government can’t intimidate us. It hasn’t become a dictatorship yet. The constitution has given us the right to stand up and question our government. It is the universities that have become the real battlegrounds for ideas,” he said. On its part, the Home Minister from BJP, Rajnath Singh has tweeted that “anti-national” activities won’t be tolerated. Raja also exhorted the students to be “united” and “courageous.” The AISF is the student wing of the CPI.

I asked him for his response on allegations that pro-Pakistan slogans were raised at the event. “If such slogans were raised, they should not have been. One should not stretch the issue beyond a point,” he told me. He added that the arrest of Kanhiaya was symptomatic of attacking “Left forces of all hues.”

As far as sloganeering is concerned, Left sources admitted that some provocative ones were raised but they added that it was some Kashmiri students who had come from outside who were responsible.

Some divide within the student community was apparent too. A Left activist said that the DSU had Maoist tendencies and they had pushed the envelope too far, making it difficult for other Left organisations to fend for them. The JNUSU, with two AISA members, has already disassociated itself from the event and the sloganeering that followed.

However, despite differences, almost a thousand students marched at night after the Teachers Association read out a statement in support of Kumar, the president. The Teachers Association representatives met the V-C earlier in the day to discuss the events that have transpired beginning Tuesday evening at the campus.

It is indeed shocking that the highest offices of the government are extending no quarter to basic Constitutional rights like freedom of speech and expression and harping on sedition. This creates a grave doubt in any reasonable observer’s mind that more is underway than is being demonstrated. It is well-known that the BJP’s ideological mentor, the RSS, can’t stand JNU and its spirit of dissent and critical enquiry and has demanded its closure many times.

The JNU students have cried foul and rightly so. The sooner the government realises its folly and releases Kanhaiya, the better it will be for the democratic set-up of this country. Otherwise, pitched battles in the streets and derailing of Parliament will be par for the course.

Video of Kanhaiya Kumar’s speech hours before his arrest:

NOTE: The post was updated to include quotes and other developments.

1. TIKU

I want to know why JNU is supproting anti nationals…..is this propaganda or something else…anyone can see how the morons shout to free kashmir,kerla,bengal…..are these places belong to their Ancestor or they think These r the place where they can reap their political tree…

2. Pratyush Tapaswi

Come on guys, I dont know whoever is running this website it is not youth ki awaj. I have seen complete incident and nothing happened over there which Indian youth will support.

3. Pratyush Tapaswi

oh really talking about youth ki awaj and you need moderation. I know my previous comment will definitely not be published.

4. Ashish

And you have nothing to say about slogans that were raised in campus…. “Bharat ki barbadi tak???”

1. Rohit

Thats ok….thats negligible. Freedom of speech is more important. Then it doesnt matter if they shout pro pakistan, pro terrorist, anti india slogans.

5. tarun

you yourself quoted that there were some slogans raised that should not have been made !! the organizers should be held responsible .. dont you think ?

6. inddu bhushan singh’binay’

The jnu incedent is prepland;motivated;concocted;basless and and alarming.we the democratiic people have to take it seriously to root out the planing of bjp to erradicate the wright of spech in the country provided us by constitution of india.

7. inddu bhushan singh’binay’

The step taken by the homeminister on issue of kanahiya kumar arresting is based on preconvinced notion.

1. Arogyam Prabhu

if getting caught is planned then raised slogans against Indian sovereignty by those moron students is pre-planned as well.. spineless supporters like you would need to be cleansed at any cost

8. Sharad

This is not youth ki awaz…Stop dividing our country for the sake of political motivations…people who want separation should leave India..If you think Afzal Guru didn't commit terror or crime, prove it in the court of law..

9. Rohit

Rename this website from youth ki awaaz to terrorist ki awaaz.

10. rajeev kumar

These JNU activists are being supported and protected by vested interests,In current times when we need our integrity to fostered these fools are trying to create factionalism….they should be given 2 years of compulsory military service so they realise the cost of “Azaadi” which they are demanding.

11. Naveen

THE PARENT OF THIS BOY SAYS HE IS INNOCENT, BUT THE GUYS SPEAKS LIKE SEASONED POLITICIAN, HE IS NOT FIT TO BE A STUDENT BUT A POLITICIAN…HIS PARENTS ARE NOT AWARE WHAT THEIR SON IS DOING IN DELHI…..HE IS SPEAKING WHAT IS TAUGHT IN THEIR STUDY CLASSES. hIS SPEECH IS INSTIGATING AND CREATING CONFUCE AMONG STUDENTS..IT IS SHAME THAT OUR STUDENTS INSTEAD OF INDULING IN BUILDING CAREER, CONCENTRATING ON STUDY, SUPPORT THEIR PARENTS, ACT LIKE POLITICIANS AT SUCH YOUNG AGE….WHERE ARE OUR YOUTH HEADING. SHAMEFUL

12. Mithun

Indian youth will not fool to support some anti nationalist students who want to divide india.
    True indian never say agaist his country.
    I love india.

13. Vidyut Acharya

We will fight till all JNU traitors not punished. capital punishment for Umar khalid

14. Sunny Deol

Enough is enough! Don’t take our humility for our weakness, you fucking anti-national pigs. These bastards who challenged the integrity of our nation should be tried for sedition, period.

15. your father

Bakwas website

16. ganesh

There is a thin line of difference between dissent and disloyalty. What happened in JNU is disloyalty to the nation.

17. Gaurav Sindhu

Shame on you, Student leaders. Khalid,Kumar whatever. You said ” Pakistan jindabaad”. I think their is falut in your DNA.

Barat tere tukdey hongey. This is freedom of speech. Shame. Basted. Shame.

Bastedkiawaaz instead youth ki aawz.

18. NotACommunistBhakt

The report mentions very little. I know what happens in JNU. I know how fierce DSU is. I know how muslim students in hostels demand for only muslim roommates. They keep additional illegal people in their rooms. Nobody knows who are these outsiders are. Wardens only check twice every year and even if you are caught keeping illegal occupiers, the fine is only Rs2000/- So, pay 4000/- every year and keep as people as you can accommodate for as long as possible. Some months ago, when the administration proposed to install CCTV cameras at strategic places(like, hostel entrance), the DSU was in forefront of a massive and violent protest and all other leftist parties(AISA, SFI, DSF etc) joined wholeheartedly. Their campaign against it was so massive, it was apparent that there is something wrong. What wrong? Clearly, they did not want any surveillance on who is going inside hostels. This raises the question: were they trying to hide whom they are bringing inside hostels? Are they terrorists?

Also, there are many faculty members who are the masterminds and leaders of these separatist parties like DSU. They motivate, provide funds and protect these so called students. You see, the recent protest for “freedom of speech” and “freedom of dissent” has many teachers in fore front. Why? They are trying to stop arrest of Umar Khalid and his accomplices, cause their arrest and subsequent grilling will surely implicate many faculty members.

19. Rajesh

You guys are students,Not a terrorists….see where you guys are heading to…On the name of freedom to speech…you can not say anything on my country…on my mother land….Will not spare you….Go to pakistan or any other country…then you will know what is intolerance is….If you guys feel…India is intolerance…then be it….But on this … will not spare you.

20. Omar Singh

TerroristKiAwaz this is the perfect name of this website.

21. Anubhav

Its no youth ki awaaz…. Action should be taken against every person who is against d nation…
    Imagine pro osama slogans in a U.S funded university on thr soil.. Such student would disappear without any prosecution to some unknown location…if this wud hav happened in U.S
    Like many other countries India should also abolish constitutional rights for people who are a threat to nation security….
    I really dnt understand why terrorists like afsal guru are given a trial…

22. ncap

It is really surprising that the anti national activities inside the campus is not an important issue for these so called leftist intellectual parasites. the more important issue for them is that their ideology is being affected ( rather being exposed to common indian). Celebrating death of crpf jawans, is it expressing freedom of speech? no. in my openion it is a terror act and no state can tolerate it. Organising beef festival is freedom of expression? then why do not these intellectuals stand against the sedition charges on kamlesh tiwari (though i have no openion about him, the law will take its action).

23. Jau

See the latest news, it was a plan of ABVP, who edited the Video and included those anti-national slogan to trap AISF.
    Now what you guys will say?
    Since those who shouted against JNU, they must be sent into jail for defaming one of India’s good university.Really shameful.

24. Jay

Can anyone explain from where they got money to print Afzal posters , definitely not their pocket money , these are funded . Students are used as puppets of politically affiliated student organisations to advocate organisational ideology and propaganda . Its good that JNU has been exposed , its the same for other universities also where the affiliated student organisations are creating havoc . Need of the hour is immediate banning of political affiliations of student organisations (Be it SFI , ABVP or NSUI) and if at all political activity to be carried out outside campus . Its time to attack and expose the hands of Puppetier not the puppets . Mr Kanhaiya was a student leader since college days and now more than 30 yrs age still studying , only to further political carreer . They propagate political agenda of their affiliated political organisations and political bosses call the shots from behind . Students act as a cheap and easily available cadre in immense numbers to further political agenda and fill the rallies .

25. Paran

It’s very easy to form opinions, open any news channel and let them fill you up with their perception of reality.
    Everybody has an opinion about how Afzal Guru was the man behind the attack on the parliament. Nobody wants to once read as to why a certain number of people feel differently. Everybody is an Indian, and nobody has the right to call anyone else otherwise. Revise your facts, read about what’s a fair trial and what isn’t, if Afzal Guru’s lawyer visited him even once, read what the NHRC had to say about Afzal Guru’s supposed statement about his envolvement, and then form an opinion free of preformed bias.
    Don’t be hungry for blood. People are guilty until proven innocent, it’s the other way around.
    Our collective conscience isn’t as hungry as the State wants it to be.

26. ASIT GUIN

One valid slogan is DESH HAMARA TUTA HAI ;; YE AZADI FUTA HAI ;;

27. Aisha Himalay

I really can’t understand whats going on…Can someone plzzz explain this to me???????????

28. Sierra Bravo

They say that the youths are the future of the nation, but when i witnessed the anti-national activities in one of the premier universities of nation.I was shaken up to the core of my conscience. I am quite aware of the fundamental right of freedom of speech and expression but that doesn’t mean that you will continue to support a terrorist who was one of the master-mind of the attack on the parliament and shouting anti-national slogan .According to me that was anti-national in every possible way. For all those people still supporting kanahiya kumar , you don’t deserve to call yourself indian .
    It’s disheartening to know how politics has changed the entire face of the nation. Now people/party ‘s personal gains supersede the national interests.

People who are supporting AFZAL GURU are no worse than him and are itself morethreat to the nation.

More from Abhimanyu Kumar

By Sahil Basu

By Author Anonymous

By BigChange