This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Pillai Vishnu. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

5 Instances That Make Me Question The ‘Nationalism’ Of The BJP

More from Pillai Vishnu

By Pillai Vishnu:

bjp1At the outset, I would like to say that I condemn the sloganeering by some students (seemingly so of Jawaharlal Nehru University, or maybe not. Who knows?). I, as an Indian, can not accept it if India is abused and will never stand for it.

I want to bring out an interesting aspect to the entire debate (that is if the ‘nationalists’ will allow any debate to take place!). The JNU problem, in my view, should have been handled by the administration, professors and students. Instead, what we got was the Central government (mainly the BJP) adding fuel to the fire to get emotions raging across the country.

Naturally, if there is an action by the government, there is bound to be a reaction. The obvious reaction was that the Congress and CPI (Communist Party of India) added some fuel of their own (ironic, because the Congress is supporting ‘pro-Afzal’ student groups when it was the UPA that hanged Afzal). Anyways, the result was this inferno we have, which is uncontrollable as demonstrated by our very ‘patriotic’ lawyers who beat up journalists to express their love for our ‘Bharat Mata’.

The problem with the inferno is that it has sidelined every other issue in the country. So, while all the national channels, dailies are fixated on JNU, while Arnab is busy being the most ‘Indian’ among us, while all the politicians have taken their sides, I, sadly, came across this devastating news of an entire village in Bundelkhand that gave up farming because they couldn’t tolerate starvation anymore. It had come to a point where they couldn’t even feed their cows. But, hey, that’s not important. We are used to farmer’s dying by now! It’s more important to be patriotic now, because some immature kids, some nobodies hurled some slogans. The farmers, they die every day. What is new?

I couldn’t tolerate this apathy towards an already shrinking profession in the country. No one seems to realise that there wouldn’t be an India to be proud of if the Indian farmers gave up farming. While I blame all politicians who tried to get political mileage out of the situation for this apathy, I primarily blame the BJP and its hyper-nationalism.

It made me want to question the ‘nationalism’ of the BJP. What I discovered was the highest level of hypocrisy, and I share some of it here:

1) The obvious first is, BJP is allied with PDP in Jammu & Kashmir! For the people who don’t know, the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) have been long time sympathisers of Afzal Guru. They openly criticised his death penalty and continue to do so even now. The BJP top brass did not have any qualms about forming a coalition government with the PDP.  In the end, when it comes to power, who cares about nationalism? So the BJP exempted itself from being ‘nationalists’ in this case. After all, all is fair in love and coalition!

2) One of the National Democratic Alliance allies was MDMK (Marumalarchi Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam) led by Vaiko. Yes, the same man who has cried for the terrorists who killed our former Prime Minister. Vaiko has been famous, or controversial (there isn’t much difference in politics, I guess), for being a sympathiser of Prabhakaran, the leader of LTTE (Liberation of Tamil Tigers Eelam). What is more surprising is, it was the DMK that broke ties with BJP in the end and not the other way round. It seems that being in coalition with a party openly sympathising with terrorists who killed an ex-Prime Minister was fine for their ‘nationalism’. This is the second exemption.

3) I do not know if you remember that Modi signed a deal with NSCN (IM) (National Socialist Council of Nagaland – Thuingaleng Muviah and Isak Chisi Swu faction) last year in August. Yes, these were, or are, secessionists (the points of agreement were never made public). They have caused the deaths of many of our police personnel and other security forces. What is funny is that the PM had no problem in talking to secessionists, but he has a problem with talking to the ‘misguided’ youth of the capital. The third exemption: talks are not as important as a chance to polarise voters in the country.

4) Now, some history. The Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh, BJP’s parent organisation, did not recognise India’s national flag initially. To quote the 14 August 1947 issue of the Organiser (the RSS’s mouthpiece) in an article titled ‘Mystery behind the Bhagwa Dhwaj’, “the people who have come to power by the kick of fate may give in our hands the Tricolor but it [will] never be respected and owned by Hindus. The word three is in itself an evil, and a flag having three colours will certainly produce a very bad psychological effect and is injurious to a country.”

5) The RSS also, at one point, did not recognise the Constitution as it did not have the words of Manu in it (thank God, sorry, thank Ambedkar it didn’t!). To quote from the RSS mouthpiece once again, an editorial dated 30 November 1949 said, “but in our constitution, there is no mention of that unique constitutional development in ancient Bharat…To this day, his laws as enunciated in the Manusmriti excite the admiration of the world and elicit spontaneous obedience and conformity. But to our constitutional pundits that means nothing.”

The flag and the Constitution were accepted by RSS when it was placed as a condition by Government of India for lifting the ban imposed on it. This ban had been imposed after the assassination of the father of the nation by a ‘former’ RSS man.

I want to show this hypocrisy because I want everyone to understand that the political class is using the JNU issue for vote bank politics, not because of its nationalism. What this is doing is, it’s diverting attention away from more important news.

We have many problems to deal with in our country. Let’s not waste time on some immature, over-enthusiastic young adults who shouted some slogans. Let’s stop making them heroes by giving them undue attention!

1. Hemant

Political compulsions are necessary to make compromises in this countries which is rules by a dynasty. The country does not run on principles. Look at this. Who created the Bhindranwale monster which killed hundreds of innocents? Who instigated riots after 1984? And still country elects the same party. Once cannot be an idealist in running a nation, because then there will be no one left to rule. Accept the reality instead of cursing them. Communist China and Russia started off with great principle of bringing equality. What happened ultimately?

1. Anuvrat Dutta

Have you considered Yugoslavia and Cuba? And we all have witnessed the fate of this capitalist World of which India could also have been a victim if it hadn’t been for Soviet style planning and the doctrines of Nehru (I don’t support him, but still Economically he has given a lot to us).

2. Vishnu pillai

I have no problems in accepting the reality, i am a rationalist. I do understand there is hypocrisy in the society at large not just the political class.

What i questioned is how can a party like BJP take the nationalistic high stand? The reasons i elicited.

I wrote about this hypocrisy, as i thought politicians are using issues to forward their agenda, this more importantly is hijacking all the time we should spend to solve real burning problems in the country.

We live in a democracy, and JNU is one of the most politically charged university in the country, rightly so. A problem in such an university need not be a national crisis. I am pretty sure this is not the first time it happened in the university.

Ps: as for congress, i mention is no saint. As why the older generation kept it in power, congress was the single largest party after independance, they enjoyed this monopoly for many decades post indepandance. Them being voted in power again and again also has to do with not having credible opposition for a long time.

My only point is the central government didnt have to get its hand dirty in campus poplitics, they did it to polarise people and take a nationalistic high ground. This is cheap politics. What happened because of that, you can see for yourself.

3. karan

Your first point about PDP was wrong. BJP has steadfastly opposed anti-nationalism. Masarat Alam was rearrested because BJP forced Mufti. SAS Geelani was denied passport as he refused to identify himself as a Indian.
    About Vaiko, he was arrested by the previous ABV government under the powerful POTA act as he was supporting terrorists. The act was repealed by the next MMS government and he was set free.
    RSS not hoisting the flag before was history. Now they hoist it on their head-quarters in Nagpur and Jhandewalan in Delhi. And they are within all their rights to not hoist the flag if they wish. They are not a government sponsored or a government aided or a government funded organization. They are a private organization.
    The fourth point about Manusmriti is valid.
    You may not feel any anti nationalism in ‘Bharat ke barbadi tak jung rahegi’ and ‘Afzal hum sharminda hai tere qatil jinda hai’ but majority people feel offended. Look at the twitter response to Times now which propounds the nationalistic cause. #IndiastandswithArnab was trending on twitter.
    People are angry with the Rajdeeps and the Barkhas who are openly anti-Hindu and anti national

4. Vishnu pillai

Its amazing you read selectively, this first paragraph i say i condemn the sloganeering and as an indian, can not stand it when india is abused.

As for PDP, what i wanted to show in the article is the hypocrisy of BJP nationalism. They would do anything for power. That they would go into coalition with PDP, with is an ideologue opposite, and also in this case a supporter of afzal guru issue. My point they can do that for power, but when it comes to some JNU students who fo the same things, its untolerable for them. If that is not hypocrisy what is?

As for Vaiko, they were in coalition with Him, eventhough there were people like subramanya swamy who opposed it, that fact alone shows how nda are able to compromise on their nationalism.

As for the mood set in the country, yes people are being divided into nationalists and anti nationalists, patriots and terrorists, indians and pakistanis based in their views. Is it all good for the nation, this clasifying of people based on people’s views isnt this a dangerous trend for democracy.

As for times now and zee news and all such channels, you have known the morphed video they showed in both their channels, the negative canpaingns organised by zee news has been exposed by their very own employee, who said he couldnt sleep cause of the guilt. These channels so easily branded students, as terrorists, anti nationals what not? Have the court found them guilty, how much evidence have we seen, or are they basing it on the photoshopped videos they are showing? IF the courts find the Jnu president not guilty will these channels apologise to him nationally for branding him a terrorist and anti national?

What the channels have done is in the open, some by their very own employees, showing the vicious, negative campaign they are doung at the behest of the government. Even after all that if people want to believe in these channels as they are the gospel truth, then let god save india.

More from Pillai Vishnu

By Love Matters India

By Bidisha Bhatacharya

By Nandini Sharma