This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Abhishek Jha. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Despite Differences, Political Leaders Unite To Express Solidarity With JNU Students

More from Abhishek Jha

By Abhishek Jha

rahul gandhi jnu
Image source: Facebook

On 13th February, a public meeting organised against the arrest of Kanhaiya Kumar, the JNUSU President, on sedition charges at the Administration Block premises of JNU saw a huge crowd of students that kept swelling until the event began. Students of the institute gathered there were of the opinion that they had not seen as many students come together during their stay on campus.

The meeting began with slogans raised from all student organisations except the ABVP demanding the release of the students, against what is being called a “witch-hunting” of students on campus, the police presence on campus, and specific media outlets’ portrayal of the episode.

Just as the JNUTA Secretary, professor Bikramaditya Choudhary began speaking, the microphones were switched off on the directions of the Chief Security Officer. On being questioned, the officer produced a letter from the Registrar ordering the same citing Supreme Court guidelines. The event, however, continued with the help of a smaller microphone.

Soon after, the meeting saw another disruption with the arrival of Congress leader Rahul Gandhi, who was shown black flags by around 20 people who identified themselves as belonging to the ABVP. Eyewitnesses said they had been waiting outside the Administration Block premises. These protesters, who were raising slogans of “Rahul Gandhi sharam karo, sharam karo” and “Modi, Modi”, however, did not answer this correspondent’s question regarding the reasons for their protest.

The meeting continued despite this minor disturbance, where leaders from several political parties, the professors and alumni of the institute were present and addressed the students. Among those present were CPM leader Sitaram Yechury, CPI leader D. Raja, CPI (ML) leader Kavita Krishnan, Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi, former Union Minister and Congress leader Anand Sharma, Delhi Congress President Ajay Maken, former AAP member Yogendra Yadav, etc.

CPM leader Sitaram Yechury told the students that they were present despite their differences to express solidarity with the students, who he called the soul of the institute. “We will be there to not only show solidarity but also support, even materially,” he said. He added that the battle was not confined to the campus. CPI (ML) leader Kavita Krishnan, who addressed the students later, also praised the students who have been charged with sedition and said that they are now in the company of activists like Teesta Setalvad and Priya Pillai.

CPI leader D. Raja, whose daughter is also among those being sought for arrest by the police according to reports, said that even he was receiving threats on the phone. He questioned the RSS-BJP’s idea of what is anti-constitutional and demanded they go and meet Rohith Vemula’s mother if they want to see “Mother India”. “Rohith Vemula amar rahe!” slogans were raised in support. Several speakers emphasised that the alleged witch-hunting of students was aimed at diverting the students from the issue of Rohith.

“If India is progressing it is because more and more people are raising their voice,” Rahul Gandhi said beginning his speech. “They have a right to wave a black flag in my face,” he said in connection to the slogans raised by ABVP students. “We respect our voice and we respect their voice,” he added. He also drew attention to Rohith’s suicide alleging that “they crushed him” and did not let me voice himself. “We don’t have a problem with the RSS-BJP. If they listened to us, they would agree with us,” he said after saying that Adolf Hitler had called himself “the biggest German nationalist” and ruined Germany. “They are terrified of poor Indian people or weak Indian people raising their voice,” he said before concluding.

Meanwhile, with the meeting still going on, Congress leader Anand Sharma was attacked allegedly by ABVP activists, although he was seen escorted from the venue by a human “corridor”. “There was a bleeding from my left ear following the attack and I also suffered some cuts,” he has said, according to reports.

Talking about the raids earlier, a resident of the institute said that three hostels – Mahi Mandavi, Narmada, Brahmaputra- were the target. “They had a list and they were going to the targeted rooms,” he told YKA. The students alleged that the list had been prepared by the ABVP people and that they were guiding the officers in plain-clothes.

Piyush Raj, former JNUSU Joint Secretary, told YKA that the raids were an attempt to “victimise” the students. On being asked why the students were being targeted, he said that it is due to the voices raised by students regarding the case of Rohith Vemula, the UGC protests, and the policies of the government in general. “If the failure of the government was exposed most by anybody, it was by the JNU students and the government is taking revenge for this,” he added. Referring to a new video showing that those raising the slogans that have raised the storm, that surfaced on Youtube and has since gone viral, he alleged that the “crackdown is planned politics” by the government to put the “JNU students on a back foot” and to prevent them “from exposing the government”. Asked what the future response of the students will be and how they will continue their campaign, he told YKA that almost all the residents of the University had gathered for the meeting and that the targeting will only strengthen their movements.

Meanwhile, seven students were detained and later released, according to reports, at the Parliament Street police station, from the Jashn-e-Rekhta programme that took place at IGNCA, apparently because they looked like JNU students and were allegedly planning to protest. The Delhi Police south district is also seeking to transfer the case of the alleged seditious remarks to the Special Cell and wants the NIA involved, according to reports.

Protests by students at the Ganga Dhaba in JNU and by the residents of Delhi at Jantar Mantar took place on the 14th.

Take campus conversations to the next level. Become a YKA Campus Correspondent today! Sign up here

You can also subscribe to the Campus Watch Newsletter, here.

1. anadi

watch, like & share for sake of “Satyamev Jayate” .. watch https://youtu.be/z-_1dNbn0Gk

Here's, the proof/evidence that Kanhaiya Kumar with Umar Khalid, was involved in anti-Indian protest. See here his black coat's chain is zipped/closed. After this incident, media accused him during TV debates. Later on next day, in morning when he became aware that he is going to be arrested, he came to the same protest site & make a corrective speech to befool the public & police. And at this time taking U-turn from his last protest slogans, he gave a political speech against RSS & ABVP so that public may start thinking that he is innocent!! That 2nd Video or U-turn Video which is of about 25 minutes (in which his coat chain zip is open), was made viral by his colleagues to hide the truth . But, you can see, in this 1st video, his coat chain is zipped/closed & he is making anti-Indian slogans. To let Truth prevail, I am exposing Kanhaiya Kumar. I was following JNU news updates from the day first on various TV news channels & was shocked to see how a traitor (kanhaiya Kumar), later on try to become innocent to save himself from prison. So, for the sake of “Satyamev Jayate” , am uploading this video. Kanhaiya shouldn't be spared. Anybody Hindu or Muslim or of any religion, General, OBC, SC or of any caste, if he/she is making anti-Indian remarks must be arrested & trialed. Jai Hind ! Jai Bharat !

2. anadi

Fake Video Editing to defame ABVP exposed..
    https://youtu.be/8ehJKp2midk
    just watch, like & share this video for sake of Satyamev Jayate.. After Kanhaiya Kumar got attrested, his colleagues tried to defame ABVP & tried to create a political controversy by editing a video clip shown on Zee-News. Like this, they tried to defame BJP & ABVP. But truth prevails.. Jai Hind ! Jai Bharat !

More from Abhishek Jha

By Sahil Basu

By Author Anonymous

By BigChange