Let Journalist Ravish Kumar Coach You On What Nationalism Really Means

By YKA Staff:

At the cost of our freedom of expression and right to dissent being snatched, how have we, as a country, become self-proclaimed custodians of ‘nationalism’? The recent events at JNU have shown how students’ voices are being curbed in the world’s largest democracy. But what even is ‘nationalism’ apart from a term that we throw around with might, without actually thinking about what it really means? Journalist Ravish Kumar blasts open this definition as he talks about the troubled times the country has plunged into. “Political parties should have the last say on what nationalism really means only when their intent is to kill democracy,” he says.

The last few days have also shown a disturbing side of popular Indian media, with selective reporting and the creation of a ‘media trial’ when it comes to the sedition case against JNUSU President Kanhaiya Kumar. Ravish, being a member of the media himself, calls out these attempts to ignite public sentiment in the wrong direction and fearlessly speaks the truth. Watch the two videos and tell us what you think of them in the comments below. As far as we’re concerned, we’re glad that hope for credible journalism in India still remains.

1. Aishwarya

Ravish comes across a ray of hope for the profession of journalism. But I am quite sure there are many men and women like him. We need to identify and give them the space and identity so that journalism can do what it was meant to do. Question those in power.

2. ms

ye wahi enlgish man ke chaploos hai jo bhagat singh logo ko kehte honge ki ye sab to terrorist hai intellect with wrong emotion (lust,greed,fear..etc) disaster. Bring balance between left and right mind. sher ki khal pehen ke siyar sher nahi hota

3. Sourabh chauhan

What ravish ji is speaking is true sentiment of youth, few media channels have turned news into daily soap.
    #ravishing i trust journalism

4. Ghulam Mustafa

Ravish Kumar is a great journalist and honest & fearless …good job ,,,, well done

5. Mohd Nazim

Gud Job Ravish Ji

6. SK

I will start with saying, he is right on, no political party holds this right. If you do any such act which defame and misguide can not claim to be nationalist. But he is mixing things which surprise me. In his entire narration he is justifying one wrong act with another act. It is BJP, Congress or any party if they are doing wrong no one should justify that. But making excuse of this and saying because he did this so I was also right………. what that means
    See the explanation he gave, Some says how he can be wrong on Afjal Guru when BJP sharing power in Kashmir. So if BJP doing wrong I can do wrong too. He said… Tiranga ko le kar aab daraya jayega….. So he want to say tricolor is symbol of terror. He is totally out of mind.
    He has compared army fighting on border ver retired Jawan striking for penson increase. I am not saying they are doing wrong but comparison.. what he want to say….. I seriously did not get that.
    @Ravi you are senior journalist but you yourself bowled your one argument with another.

By Gulraj Bedi

By haritha kr

By Akash Dutta