Not Just Male And Female: A Quick Look At YKA’s Event On Redefining Gender Binaries

Posted on February 29, 2016 in Culture-Vulture

By YKA Staff

In a society that thrives on gender stereotypes, where is the space for all the identities that aren’t ‘male’ or ‘female’, and are hardly given due recognition? On February 27, Youth Ki Awaaz and Cake hosted ‘Redefining Gender’, an event that did just what the name suggests – discussed gender beyond the rigid definitions of ‘male’ and ‘female’. Held at Antisocial in Delhi, it was the first of many interesting conversations that YKA will be hosting across the country, in partnership with Social.

A packed audience at Antisocial participated in a variety of conversations along with our panelists Pramada Menon, queer, feminist activist and co-founder of CREA, Vikramaditya Sahai, trans/queer activist and professor at Ambedkar University, and Shambhavi Saxena, features writer at Youth Ki Awaaz and Cake. Manak Matiyani, queer activist and Executive Director of the YP Foundation moderated the discussion.

Here are the highlights of the event, in tweets and photos.

Manak Matiyani initiates the discussion.

Let’s start early.

Shambhavi Saxena asks a very important question.

Why is ‘feminist’ a bad word? Pramada Menon makes some crucial points.

Why is it about how you look and not how you feel?

Vikramaditya Sahai says it like it is.

It’s not just about women.

Some thought-provoking questions from the audience.

We’re glad the audience had a good time! And subscribe to our email list for information on such events that we host in the future!