By YKA Staff:
What’s the latest around the world today? Curated for you from the interwebz, here’s a quick morning fix to keep you updated. In 140 characters at that! Presenting, #NewsInTweets:
1. Terror alert in Delhi: After Gujarat was on alert with news of 10 terrorists from Pakistan entering its borders, security has been tightened in public places in Delhi as it is suspected that the terrorists have reached the capital.
2. India wins Asia Cup 2016 after beating Bangladesh by 8 wickets. This is the 6th Asia Cup that India has won. Shikhar Dhawan was Man of the Match for scoring 60 runs and Sabbir Rahman was the Man of the Series with 176 runs with a strike rate of 123 in five innings.
3. JNU professor of economics Jayati Ghosh said in a lecture that a person cannot be ‘anti-national’, only state policies are, referring to how any act, or voice against the current government is now deemed ‘anti-national’.
4. A fire breaks out on India’s INS Virat, killing one and injuring three personnel on board.
5. Jhanvi Behal, a 15-year-old who received a letter of appreciation from PM Modi for her contribution to the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan has challenged JNUSU President Kanhaiya Kumar to an open debate on Modi and freedom of expression.
6. Farmers’ groups have expressed discontentment with the Budget, saying that despite agriculture featuring prominently in the Budget, they are doubtful of real action.
7. Purvanchal Sena president Adarsh Sharma, who offered Rs 11 lakh to whoever kills JNUSU President Kanhaiya Kmar has Rs 150 in his bank account, police said.
8. A woman jumped from the second floor of a building in Liluah, West Bengal, to escape rape. Police have arrested 3 suspects and the woman has been admitted to a hospital.
9. #DemDebate: Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders debate on CNN and address fracking, childcare and public education among other issues.